Is anyone else really uneven in strength? (arms vs legs)

Options
If you read my other posts you read I don't like my arms because I think they're big and bulky. So I would avoid working on them because I didn't want them to get bigger. After talking to people here and stepping into reality I'm working them again, and I feel like they are SOOOOOOOOOO weak. I can do push ups, pull ups, and climb a rope (using legs)... But when I use the machines (almost all of them) I can only do 50 pounds... Which I guess isn't terrible considering I haven't really worked them in years. The thing is my lower body is a beast still. Mostly my legs. I can press 200 pounds with my legs, and 220 pounds on the machine where there is a rollie behind your back and you push it down with your legs and back.

Anyone else across the bored like this? How did you fix it? Will I always be a little lop sided?

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    What can you squat? What can you deadlift? What can you bench press and overhead/military press?

That said, I was leg pressing over 300 pounds on a machine in 11th grade with zero weightlifting (all cardio, all the time), so 200 pounds is not really "beast"....
  • gymgirl3590
    Options
    I'm a girl and I'm new to weight machines for the most part, I don't use free weights yet.

For a girl who's new to machines, I call it beastly.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    <sigh> yes I am uneven in strength. I neglected to work legs when I was younger and it's shows now. My bench, heck even my overhead military press is way more than what I can squat and my deadlift is NOT something I can brag about.
    So, what I'm trying to do is maintain the upper body and really focus on my squats, deadlift and other leg accessory exercises.
    I have no idea how long it will take but I'll just keep plugging away and hopefully they'll come up to speed.

Keep working the upper body and I'm sure the strength will come.
  • piperdown44
    Options
    I'm a girl and I'm new to weight machines for the most part, I don't use free weights yet.

Yeah, but you're in the gym and 'doing' it so I say keep up the good work!
  • gymgirl3590
    Options
    Glad someone else is dealing with being uneven, I'm working my arms a lot, doubling the reps I do for legs. I do 50 (2x25) reps for my legs, and 100 (sets of 10-25 because the strength just isn't there yet) for my arms. I'm trying to get a muscle up too, I can do it with a 40 pound assist (which isn't good, but I'm working on it =))
  • piperdown44
    Options
    Took almost 3 months and a 24 lbs weight loss before I could get a pull up on my own.
    Now I can get a 5, 5, 4 for pull ups but I still head over to the lat machine to finish off.
    It all just takes time and dedication. Sounds like you are doing well on both so soon you'll be crushing the pull ups!
  • lebaker310
    lebaker310 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    so..... what exactly are you trying to accomplish?
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

My apologies - I hadn't picked up on that.
  • gymgirl3590
    Options
    so..... what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

What kind of a question is that? I'm not sure how to answer it but I'll do my best. I was a gymnast, I miss it, I want to be able to get some skills back (I still have some). I want to be able to do parkcour with my boyfriend for fun. He's auditioning for ninja warrior, and I think its fun and I need some more strength. I also rock climb. I'm trying to get in shape what else would I be trying to accomplish?
  • gymgirl3590
    Options

My apologies - I hadn't picked up on that.

No apologies needed =) I just have no idea what half that stuff is lol
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    The classic big lifts for upper body are bench press and overhead press using a barbell. Throw in body weight chinups and pullups.

If it were me, that's where I would start. Something like a 5x5 program.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Women naturally have a stronger lower body than upper. For guys it's opposite. At least that's what my trainers have always told me....
  • shaelataylor
    shaelataylor Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Women naturally have a stronger lower body than upper. For guys it's opposite. At least that's what my trainers have always told me....

i follow that logic. i barely have enough upper body strength to open a jar of pickles.
  • gymgirl3590
    Options
    can you send me a link for the 5x5 program or explain it?

And that makes sense about where guys/girls naturally have more muscle, that makes sense