healthy.
their own brand name.
cheap(er than other stores)

What do I buy?!

Replies

• mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    nuts and dried fruits, perhaps? They have terrific prices and selection on those. also the roasted seaweed.
  • ashleyinthecold
    ashleyinthecold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    What isn't good to buy at TJs is a better question...

Just keeding...there's lots of stinkers, but the good things are REALLY good. I can't weigh in too much because I'm not sure about what is Vegan and what isn't.

ETA: Vegetarian fried rice! It's good.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I love trader Joe's. as far as vegan goes, I have no idea, just go and take a look around.
  • lebainnc
    Options
    I like their bottled Thai curry sauces (red and yellow) - not sure about the nutritional value, but a very easy skillet dinner that can be served over rice, quinoa, spaghetti squash... I usually pre-cook veggies and then add sauce, heat to a simmer, and serve.
  • Coraddy
    Coraddy Posts: 26
    Options
    Greek yogurt. Trail mix. Cereal. Milk. OJ.Hummus...sometimes the cheese is a good deal especially the crumbly kinds like feta or blue cheese.Those things are kinda cheap there.
    There's a couple of frozen foods that I really like from TJ's like the polenta provencale, it's polenta bits with spinach in a creamy tomato sauce....really good. Also the mushroom risotto with asparagus also really good. They have a 4 pack of mini cheese pizzas there, they are a good deal.
  • Coraddy
    Coraddy Posts: 26
    Options
    Oh yeah the India Fare Packets I think are a good deal too, you can pair them with rice. I believe the packages are about a dollar?
  • pavingnewpaths
    pavingnewpaths Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the dried seaweed honestly. Acquired taste but SO good.
  • ajfrench
    ajfrench Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Frozen edamame and their frozen berries are cheaper than anywhere else I've found. Also, the Ezekiel bread is a great price. Of course their fruits and veggies are great. If you're going vegetarian, the cheeses are delish and cheaper than anywhere else and they have all sorts of unique hummus available.
  • juliezum
    juliezum Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Wine, cheese, frozen ahi tuna fajita mix, breakfast muffins, homemade tortillas, humus, dolmades.....I could go on and on:)
  • ayerg
    ayerg Posts: 33
    Options
    I'm addicted to their dark chocolate covered almonds. Yum!
  • AnnaMarieDinVa
    AnnaMarieDinVa Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I <3 Trader Joe's!! Their organic fresh veggies are great. They have a lot of delicious vegetarian frozen dinners at great prices. I love their organic coffee....things that are vegan will have a V symbol on them. :) Ask their staff for suggestions. Many of the staff members at the one I shop at are vegan or vegetarian and have great suggestions and recipes. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!!! Their organic cheeses are good, it is late but tomorrow I'll try to find my last receipt and write down my faves.
  • SkagitYogini
    SkagitYogini Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to their dark chocolate covered almonds. Yum!

The ones with the sea salt and turbinado sugar? Holy cow! Me, too!
  • noctilumina
    noctilumina Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and I shop at Trader Joe's a lot, so I should have a whole list of things to recommend, but the first thing that comes to mind is the Eggplant Hummus. Vegan, yummy, 35 calories in 2 tablespoons. Ingredients: Chickpeas, eggplant, sesame tahini, lemon juice, garlic, water, sea salt, pomegranate juice.
  • ashleyinthecold
    ashleyinthecold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Oh! The Frozen mango is so good. And they have Sweet potato "pucks" in the frozen section that are sweet potatoes and nothing else at all. You just take a few out of the bag and cook 'em up. They're so good.
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    The wheat bread and any of the jams/jellies. When my whole team was having a bad day at work, I bought some and brought it in to share. Everybody's mood was instantly lifted, and it turned the day completely around. We made jam and bread day a regular thing after that.

Also, my wife really loves the chocolate covered Bing cherries. ETA: none of this is good for trying to lose weight, but it all tastes fantastic.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I'm so jealous of all of you, the only thing I have near me is a Whole Foods and I can't afford to shop there! Trader Joes sounds so nice!
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm so jealous of all of you, the only thing I have near me is a Whole Foods and I can't afford to shop there! Trader Joes sounds so nice!

Whole Foods has a very reasonably priced breakfast burrito. They also have a barrel of cheese cuts that are the outsides of the wheels with more waxy stuff than what they sell by the lb. It's much cheaper but it's the same cheese, and if you take the waxy outside off, you can use it in soups when making the broth. It makes for amazing soup.
  • katealbright
    katealbright Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and all their vegan stuff has a little V on it so it's easy to tell.
    Here is a list of all their regular vegan products (I think seasonal stuff is not included): http://www.traderjoes.com/lists/vegan.asp

First and foremost, all of their nuts, seeds, trail mixes, and nut butters are AMAZING and WILDLY cheaper than anywhere else -- literally 1/3 of the normal price! I honestly do not know how they do it. You must buy! If you really want a treat, the new coconut cashews are TO DIE FOR.

And of course, TWO BUCK CHUCK! Amazing wine for $2.49 -- it says Charles Shaw by Trader Joe's on it.

A few other of my faves that are surprisingly DELICIOUS AND CHEAP: dried black mission figs, fresh globe artichokes, any of their famous hummus flavors, any of their salsas, butternut squash soup, Tuscan Italian dressing, organic carrot juice, soyaki, tri-color quinoa, stevia, cinnamon, frozen berries, peaberry coffee, Dr. Praeger’s California Veggie Burgers, meatless meatballs, EV coconut oil, 100% unbleached white whole wheat flour

Things to SKIP: unflavored coconut milk beverage half gallon, jarred green olives, jarred sun-dried tomatoes, jarred bruschetta, dijon... I have just found these disappointing and there are far better brands.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's Organic Spaghetti Sauce with mushrooms is hands down the best spaghetti sauce I have ever had. No added sugar, lower in calories and just plain delicious. I used to make my own, but what is the point when i can buy this and it is even better. Seriously, try it.
  • katealbright
    katealbright Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's Organic Spaghetti Sauce with mushrooms is hands down the best spaghetti sauce I have ever had. No added sugar, lower in calories and just plain delicious. I used to make my own, but what is the point when i can buy this and it is even better. Seriously, try it.

That's true, TJ's is well-known for his tomatoes and they have won some blind taste tests -- fresh, canned, jarred as sauce, etc.

Just not the sun-dried, I repeat, abort that mission lol