Low Impact workouts worth 3500cal

Options
Hey all,

Just thinking out loud here, is any way to do enough low impact excerise per week to burn 3500cal (which is what I've read here equals one pound) Many have said the numbers on MFP are rather high and not accurate when it comes to excerise.

I'm trying to figure out a plan, where I mostly do low impact exerise due to my knees and back ... but some HIIT is ok too ... that would help me lose about a pound a week. Any ideas? Thanks!

Replies

• SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    My logged exercise "burn" is usually around 3000-5000 calories a week. I walk a lot and I lift weights. That's it. It's enough for me.
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

Just thinking out loud here, is any way to do enough low impact excerise per week to burn 3500cal (which is what I've read here equals one pound) Many have said the numbers on MFP are rather high and not accurate when it comes to excerise.

I'm trying to figure out a plan, where I mostly do low impact exerise due to my knees and back ... but some HIIT is ok too ... that would help me lose about a pound a week. Any ideas? Thanks!

Invest in a good heart rate monitor and walk!
  • lisiloulah
    lisiloulah Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Swimming is an excellent low impact exercise with a good burn (provided you don't paddle up and down too slowly!) - but without a Heart Rate Monitor (a water safe one!) you probably won't get an accurate count on the calories burnt.

Lisa x
  • jenanigans_from_space
    Options
    Ditto to the HRM suggestions. It'll give you a fat burn count more accurate to your height, weight, and age. I did 74 mins on a stationary bike this morning - almost entirely in fat burn range, for 416 calories.
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    An elliptical is good for low impact exercise. I burn roughly 10 cal / minute with METS around 7.5. So I'm guessing that works out at about 5 hours on an elliptical a week for a 3500 cal burn.