Fellow geeks for support?

Options

Replies

• Zanthina
    Options
    I'm with the people who are raving about the Zombies, Run app. I started with the Zombies, Run 5K training app and then moved up to the Zombies, Run app. I never thought anything could make me like running.
  • NeonHeartz444
    Options
    Yay, more geeks like me! :D
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I like zombies, firefly, video games, star wars, lotr, harry potter, all that stuff. I guess i would qualify... damn
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm with the people who are raving about the Zombies, Run app. I started with the Zombies, Run 5K training app and then moved up to the Zombies, Run app. I never thought anything could make me like running.

I guess I really need to give it another try. How long did it take for you to get into it or did you like it right away?
  • sepulchura
    sepulchura Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    This may not help you but one thing I did, geek that I am, is took my nephew and neices doing live action role playing (D&D) at a huge garden in my area. They loved it and I probably burned about 400 calories over 2.5 hours of having fun with my guys.

Beyond that yeah our geekiness does not tend to foster weight loss. I do actually have a policy that I have to burn 4 calories every every minute of video gaming I want to do. In other words, one hour of gaming costs 240 calories. I even go so far as to not allow myself to eat those calories back, because I'm penalizing myself for indulging in a very sedentary activity. I have found this to be a healthy way to push myself and still have "my time" with a game here and there on the computer.
  • sepulchura
    Options
    I'm a data scientist / professor of health informatics. I'm a a band geek turned songwriter. Die hard Doctor Who, TNG, and Dune fan and devoted Mensa member. Add me!

Oh, and I've found that turning exercise into a game is the most helpful thing for me. Accumulation of points, running from zombies, going from race to race, you name it, I do better with it than I do with just plodding along.

This is the first time I've seen a fellow MFPer mention Dune.

Internet high 5 for you

cheers! Have ready every single book including the ones by Frank and Dave.
  • m_harch
    m_harch Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am a geek who loves comics, scifi, fantasy and horror. I just go to the gym and unwind post work out with with a comic book! ;)
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Bring on the adds! Fellow geek here. Cosplaying, comic-reading, Whedon-loving (mostly... really, dude, Kennedy? What were you thinking with her?), MMORPG-playing, book-reading gamer girl from the Boston area.

Nerdy fitness components include listening to Welcome to Night Vale and Mysterious Universe during my workouts, as well as going on epic, long walks by way of playing Ingress.
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Another geek here... and proud of it! Doctor Who, Torchwood, Defiance, etc. Reading/writing. Vamps, weres, zombies... Elves, dwarves, faeries...

I've been sort of doing the C25k app, but am going to download Zombies, Run! Sounds like more fun. :)
  • SquidVonBob
    SquidVonBob Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Adult with a pre-order on the new Pokemon game here! I also like to draw things which is not a huge calorie burn.
  • gsop22
    gsop22 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

I guess I really need to give it another try. How long did it take for you to get into it or did you like it right away?

I am almost done with Zombies, Run 5K trainer and though it was pretty good. I think you can add music so after the characters talk you can run to your playlist. I was in the second to last week and then my knee began to bother me so am taking a break. I never though I would like running but the app helped. Will have to try Zombies Run after.

Also big geek here, too many thing to list but, Star Wars, LOTR, Game of Thrones(Books), and pretty much anything sci fi.

Anyone is free to add me if the wish.
  • EdwardNortonFan43
    EdwardNortonFan43 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi All. Any fellow geeks out there looking to share some support and geekiness? I'm noticing most of my favorite activities, as a geek, don't offer much in the way of good calorie burns. Any suggestions?

What is your definition of geek?
  • sepulchura
    Options
    Hi All. Any fellow geeks out there looking to share some support and geekiness? I'm noticing most of my favorite activities, as a geek, don't offer much in the way of good calorie burns. Any suggestions?

What is your definition of geek?

Wiki: The definition of geek has changed considerably over time, and there is no longer a definitive meaning. The term nerd has a similar, practically synonymous meaning as geek, but many choose to identify different connotations among these two terms, although the differences are disputed. In a 2007 interview on The Colbert Report, Richard Clarke said the difference between nerds and geeks is "geeks get it done" or "ggid"[3] Julie Smith defined a geek as "a bright young man turned inward, poorly socialized, who felt so little kinship with his own planet that he routinely traveled to the ones invented by his favorite authors, who thought of that secret, dreamy place his computer took him to as cyberspace—somewhere exciting, a place more real than his own life, a land he could conquer, not a drab teenager's room in his parents' house."
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Geek cred:

Doctor Who
    Star Trek (TOS!!!)
    Star Wars
    Comics (Especially Vertigo and Marvel)
    Video Games
    BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS
    Sci Fi and fantasy in general
    Harry Potter
    Sherlock
    Firefly
    A Song of Ice and Fire
  • Glynneybug
    Glynneybug Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Well I have turned into a gamer recently- I am literally ADDICTED to Obivion, seriously I can play for 5 hours and not realize it! I have heard different folks have come up with couch games instead of drinking games. If a character does this then you do 10 sit ups, if this type of comercial comes on do 10 push ups. That type of thing. I'm thinking of trying it for my gaming... each time I kill someone I'm going to do some sort of exercise. We will see how it goes. Let me know if you try it out!

~Glynis
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    Earlier I D/L Zombies, Run! 2 and I just D/L the 5k App. I'll probably go through the 5k app first. I am in love after only one mission! I only got away once, but it was still fun. The whole "build a base" thing is awesome too.

Oh, I LOVE Game of Thrones. I have read the books and watch the show. I'm a huge Arya, Daenerys, and Terryn fan. The other fantasy series I'm in love with is Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. I'm completely in love with that man's writing style.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I am pretty ad when it comes to stuff like this. I will loose myself on the computer playing minecraft or skyrim lol before I know it I have ruined my whole day not working out and eating without logging properly :/ I just have to not touch the computer if I have not done the things I should. Also I make sure I set alarms so I get off when I am suppose too. Takes some will power but some will power helps
  • exile40
    exile40 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Massive nerd checking in ! You only need to look at my profile to see I ooze geekiness
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Science geek here... Biochem degree, horrified at bad science in movies, and loooooove reading fantasy and some sci-fi. Martin, Rothfuss, Hearne, Lynch, Bujold, Moon to name a few. Have travelled across 2 countries to get to Dragon*Con- 3 times... Was a pretty involved WoW raider, but gave that up a couple years ago. It's pulling at me, though. I think "just one month, what could it hurt??" but I know that I'd blink and a year would be gone, with my butt welded to the computer chair. Have played some D3, and moved on to Path of Exile. Getting back to my Skyrim soon. Loving Orphan Black, big fan of Death Valley, FarScape, Firefly, and such.

I discovered Munzee on my phone a little while ago, and my town is littered with them, so it's been great for getting out walking. As long as you don't mind the weird looks from passersby as you're examining every power pole and street sign... Will have to check out this Zombie Run and Ingress. Feel free to add!
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever play Dante's Inferno? SOOOO GOOD! I was house sitting for my friends and they have an xbox 360 (all I have is a non-gaming computer, through which I play SPiral Knights, Minecraft, and Castle Crashers, a PS2, a recently dead Gamecube, DSLite, Gameboy Advanced SP, and PSP. I need to upgrade). It reminded me very much of GOd of War---similar concepts of facing anthropomorphic ideas/concepts (i.e. Death), plus it's very graphic. Talk about a killer way to take out stress, hahaha!