30 day shred too hard for me, any other dvd's?

Options
I bought the 30 day shred and was injured and so incredibly sore the next day that I gave up. I hurt my knee trying to keep up and now have decided I need a more gentler way to get into shape. Any DVD's out there anyone could recommend for an over the hill, out of shape 205 pound woman? Any good yoga DVD's out there you think are good? I'll try anything!

Thanks.
:happy:

Replies

• looby1968
    looby1968 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I've finished day 6 and I've had to tweak the moves. Only managed 7.5 mins the first time!!!!! I decided that the cardio was too much so I slowed it down (still did the moves, but slower). I'm getting better and can do around 1/4 of them properly now.
  • karot32
    karot32 Posts: 46
    Options
    I actually haven't tried them but maybe those Walk away the Pounds videos might be good? You could look into them. Hope you find something right for you!
  • gogospice
    gogospice Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Try the Biggest Loser ones! I do the Biggest Loser Bootcamp, and I love it! I work up a great sweat, but I don't find it to be as challenging as some of the other workout DVD's I have! Its probably my favorite out of all of them!
  • Buckeybabe87
    Options
    Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home dvds are fantastic! They give you a good workout, but they can be done at any weight :)
  • SlimNana48
    Options
    I walk with Leslie Sansone she is wonderful. I lost 27lbs with her in the past & I'm starting to use her again.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    i would actually keep doing it :)
    i find it very hard as well.... but do as many as you can of whatever it is she's doing, and always do the low impact/beginner option
    don't use weights if it's too much, use soup cans, ( i for instance can't do jumpy stuff for cardio as im on the 3rd floor of an apt building)

if you can only do 5 when they do 12, who cares.... at least you're doing it, you will improve each time....
    also don't be scared to look at the other levels, they excercises again are very adaptable (again i can't jump so i do no jump/beginner mountain climbers etc whatever moves she does.

i can't do a push up to save my life, even on my knees i find them hard but that's how i do them. if that's too hard, do them against the counter or wall and work your way down. adapt it to fit you but also push yourself or you'll never know if you can move on.... what i mean is... like for me i can only (barely do ) knee push ups, but i will always TRY to do one or 2 on my toes and then drop down to my knees...

if you keep at it you will improve, you don't have to keep at their pace, or pause the dvd when you need to. catch your breath, and then keep going,

you CAN do this :)
  • EdgeChic
    Options
    I would try and keep doing it, just motify some of the ones you can't do.

I am 318lbs and the first 5 days were HELL. I mean it hurt to sit on the toilet, pick up my daughters, bend down to pick up their toys, make dinner. It H-U-R-T.

But...

After Day 5 I felt GOOOOOOOOOOD.

The pain was gone, I could sit easier, my energy was up and I went from doing 1/4 of the workouts to really finishing strong. I still can't do all the jumping jacks and the butt kicks are hard but I do keep doing it.

I don't do the bicycle abs, I do regular abs during that time, but I keep moving during it.

Good luck!
  • ana70
    ana70 Posts: 93
    Options
    thanks for the advice, that is a great start!:flowerforyou:
  • saychzzz
    saychzzz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I like Leslie Sansone's walk at home DVD. I have a 2 mile one and a 5 mile one. Good workout but easy to build up.
  • Soapbox
    Soapbox Posts: 38
    Options
    The problem with taking an easier work out is the results won't be as great. You want to get your heart rate up to burn fat and improve your cardiovascular system.

Also I have been doing the p90x dvd's for an extra random day added to my 4 days a week of body/strength bulding. The p90x was difficult. An hour long dvd of hell but even if i couldnt do as many as them i'd try my hardest and do as many as I could. As long as you do as many as your body permits and then you try to do one more the next work out session. You will make gains.

And as long as you can look at your work out and HONESTLY say you gave it 100% then you are doing good.
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I actually haven't tried them but maybe those Walk away the Pounds videos might be good? You could look into them. Hope you find something right for you!

I have done these and they are great for getting started.. good luck
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    30ds is intense. when i first started i couldn't keep up and neither could my mother in law. now we both do it! my only rule is if i think i'm not doing a move right i stop and restart. if i struggle with weights a drop the weights and complete the moves. i still have issues with the final set of abs but i will get there some day! it take commitment but for me sticking to it is about proving something to myself. That being said if you can't modify safely, don't do it
  • CroakerNorge
    CroakerNorge Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'll second the Walk Away The Pounds series, they're low impact and anyone can do them.
    If you visit collagevideo.com you can preview tons of DVDs before you buy them.
    If you have netflix, you can also get fitness DVDs from them. And, there's always fit/exercise tv on demand, depending
    on your cable provider (assuming you have cable).
  • Lilliesmom2010
    Options
    I loved doing the Billy Blank's Tae Bo Workouts. He's fun and I really enjoyed doing them. Granted that I did them until I was 8 wks pregnant with my Daughter, who's now 4 yrs, and I haven't even tempted to do them yet. But my only reason is I was afraid of injuring my knees or my back at my starting weight. I'm almost down to what I weighed before I got pregnant so I really want to get back into doing them. No more excuses for me! They are easy to follow along and you will be a lil sore at first, but if you will just push through it, you will get over the soreness. I even have the Boot Camp DVD's and let me tell you, they will push you. But the regular workouts are really cool. I found a lot of the older workouts in the "dollar stores" you just have to look around or you can try e-bay or amazon.com. :) Good Luck and hope you find something you like!

I just googled Billy Blank's Exercise videos, you can actually watch the workouts on the computer and see if you like them, try a few moves and see if it's something you want to do! :)
  • bosanka
    bosanka Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    30 day shred is not the only dvd Jillian has- she has some other ones and they are not that intense - The other ones are longer but a little easier. First time i bought the 30 day sh. as soon as it was released.. worked out 5 days straight- i though i will do it 30 days.. that's what i somehow " thought " was the point of it :) .. after day 5 i couldn't walk , sit .. nothing i was completely ruined, my knees were in pain i even had to go see my doctor.. it took me almost a year to try it again. Now i 'm more careful. I do it but - if i can't do a move - i modify it or do less repeteation. It does get easier with the time. I was almost done with 3rd level - now i'm back on the first and can barely do it.

I think i own almost all the dvd's from billy blanks- and he is awesome. Other than his " boot camp " series- all the other ones are a great workout without " hurting yourself " boot camp is great but it's a little harder than the other ones. I recomend his cardio dvd's, amp- workouts series - really nice and motivating - fun workouts. You can find them s ometimes even at ross or marshalls - for a rew bucks.

Other one that is really good is the kettle bell workout from danskin company - i thing the woman's name was Jane Miller- something like that really not to hard but you get a nice workout - i like it .

Few days ago i have rented a dvd from the library - advanced stepp workout- can't think of the trainer's name - not a very famous one- for me at least- but .. he was craaaazy .. i put him on at 6 am and it sounded in my house like i had a live dj :) he was very funny and woke me up right away ..

There's so much out there- i think if i only worked out with different dvd every day i would have plenty options without anything else .. you have cardio/ strength/ yoga/ kettle bell / step workouts/ - i heard there were dvd's for " jump rope " workouts, dance workouts-, tae-bo, and and and.. it's great that we have so many options .. just have to find what you like- i have from everything a little bit - so i can mix it up and not get burned out on one type of dvd.
  • BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Do you have to do a DVD? Could you not just go for a walk or swimming maybe?

You can get some really good yoga workouts on youtube for free - if you enter "gentle yoga" in the search field, you'll get some nice ones come up.

Good luck.
  • mum23
    mum23 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    have you heard of Davina Mcall? or Joanna Hall?
    Joanna halls ones are easy to follow with an easy and harder one, and are in short bursts, so you can do whatever you feel like for the day, abs, arms, legs, cardio etc.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
  • sudha336
    sudha336 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think, you should go for long walks to start with, and some strength training. As you keep losing pounds, you will find that your body's endurance level will improve significantly. Also, warmup is very important to prevent any injury during workouts.