I can't run. I want to but I'm struggling.

Options

Replies

• ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Try the link I posted below, it is the National Health Service Couch to 5K 9 week plan. The idea is that it is a safe way to get people up and able to run 5k. You download podcasts free which manage all of the timing for you so its easy to use.

Week 1 is a brisk 5 min walk to warm up followed by 20 mins of alternating 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking, finishing with another 5 min brisk walk to cool down.

Each week gets progressively harder but you can repeat each week until you are ready to move up to the next one.

Might be worth a go :smile:

http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

Edited to say "oops got beaten too it"
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Agree with above comments. I'm also heavy (same weight as you) and really really struggle with running but the key is slow slow slow and take baby steps with increasing speed and distance.

I've nearly cracked 3 miles in 30mins now but it's taken me a long slow time to get there - just don't give up. Accept sometimes you'll have a bad day and don't let it get you down.

Personally I find music a big help, just make sure it's not too fast! :)

good luck, you'll do it...and will be running a 5k I have no doubt, promise

^^^ THIS. When I started running, I was 232lbs. I am just ran my second 5k and I didn't finish last :wink: I am NOT a fast runner (about a 13 minute mile) but i'm slowly making progress and I LOVE to run.

Start slow. Just little slow intervals increasing as you get comfortable. Remember, compare your runs ONLY to YOUR previous runs. People won't be thinking anything other than "good for you!" :bigsmile:

BTW, I too wear TWO sports bras - an underwire support kind and a "uniboob" kind over it - really helps with chest pain :wink:
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to give you my support and say "You can do it!" When I started running last fall I only ran at night, because I figured fewer people could see me hobbling (and jiggling) around the neighborhood that way. Even now I run at 5am when again, it's dark. I carry a knuckle light so I don't get hit by the newspaper delivery guy. I only recently got comfortable enough to run on the weekends in daylight when (gasp!) someone might see. I've made so much progress in such a short time that I really don't care what anyone else thinks anymore. You'll get there, I promise. One foot in front of the other and take it slow. :)
  • triskaidekaphile13
    triskaidekaphile13 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I too recommend C25K. I wasn't a runner and couldn't run for a bus without being red in the face and out of breath. Now I run 5K three times a week and cycle and walk on the other days. I regularly do parkrun which is afree community timed 5K run at 9am on a Saturday morning (takes place all over the world) and am working hard to get my 5K time under 30 minutes.

I used the NHS podcasts and found them great. Encouragement just at the right time. They say you can't run too slowly when you start and that is so true. Build up stamina and endurance first and then work on speed.
  • ACrowsDay
    ACrowsDay Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    How about me? I just turned 60 years *young*. I've never run but I have a treadmill and have been slowly jogging maybe 1 minute then walk then when ever I think I can do another... jog...any other over 60 joggers out there? Jen
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I have been going to the gym for 3 years, 5-6 days a week, 2-3 hours a day and I still don't run often because of a chronic injury that tends to get re-injured if I extend my leg too much. I kill it on the elliptical every day so it is possible to lose weight on other machines and get great results. On the treadmill, I run at most 10 mins around a 5.5-6.0 pace every once in a great while. I was just like you at first, I just couldn't do it no matter how much I tried. Then I realized my body just wasn't conditioned for it yet.

The first thing about intense cardio is you need to control your breathing and heart rate. If you don't have control of your breath then your not going to make it long. If your heart rate shoots up really fast and super high, again, your not going to make it.
    It should take at least 2-5 minutes to get your heart rate up to a comfortable number that you can maintain for a long period of time. Mine is typically 150-160. You shouldn't be so out of breath you have to stop and gasp for air. It should feel challenging but you also shouldn't feel like your going to die either. :indifferent:

So basically what I am trying to say is find that comfortable pace and stick with it until it starts getting easy then increase the intensity again. I highly recommend the elliptical to train your body. It sounds like its not the movements of running on your body that is difficult for you, its your lungs and heart that need to be conditioned.

Just a side note: Your heart rate should not go above 220- your age. So I am 34, 220-34 = 186 max for me.

I have seen great results C25K though and just maybe it will work for you. Good luck!
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Yeah, echoing ALL the others. Slow down.

I was struggling because I was trying to do intervals and didn't feel like it was getting any easier to run 60-90 seconds. Then we got a handmedown treadmill and I was able to set the actual speed ... and discovered that I was just setting way too fast a pace. I started by literally trotting along at about 4.5 mph, which is just barely above a fast walk, and then upped it to 5.5. Yeah, it's not much faster than a 12 minute mile, but that's not the point at first.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    you can't keep up?

keep up with who???

it's you and the tread mill. set it to a speed that's comfortable and just adjust it upward as you need- it's REALLY hard to get it up to a speed where you are at risk of falling off- you have to purpseofully push the buttons up wards- and it wont let you do it nonstop... I actually found at speed 7- you have to stop- and start pressing again because it doesn't want to accidentally throw you off.

I'm 90% sure there is another one of those fail safes around 4/5 right from the break from walk to job- meaning- if you put your finger on the button- and hold- it'll keep going up- and then it stops. and you have to take your finger off and start pushing again.

just start slow- no one cares what you do as long as you don't hog equipment and do nothing. That's the only time I give someone the stink eye... if you are there on the phone- or curling in the squat rack- I'll probably give you the stink eye. otherwise- you get a big thumbs up for showing up and that's ALL I care about.

show up
    work
    clean up

if you are doing something OTHER than that- AND you are in my way- I judge/stare/mock. I don't' even care if you stand around talking- as long as you aren't in a walk way- or on a piece of equipment. Trust me- no one cares about anything OTHER than that. I promise you.

Good job for making steps to improve your life!
  • SlimmingMeDown
    SlimmingMeDown Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    After a warm up, I can jog or run for about 30 seconds and then I feel like I'm ready to throw up. My chest burns, my boobs hurt, my legs hurt and I feel dizzy. Is this normal for someone who doesn't normally run? I thought I'd get some benefit if I can run for 30 seconds and then walk for 5 to get over the horrible feelings I get, but how can I learn to run properly?

If I can get my heart rate up and sweat from a brisk walk, will running be any better or does it not matter?

I've never been able to run comfortably. It hurts my head and my feet, even with running shoes. It feels way too exasperating.

You will get a ton of benefits from walking. I would say just stick to the kind of workout you enjoy the most. That way you are more likely to stick with it in the long run.

I enjoy walking, so I stick to that.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I started running in May at about 220 lbs. I did C25k like others have said, and I am SLOW. Like, a very slow jog. I completed my first 5k with a mix of running and walking in 50 minutes in September, and then did one this month in 48 minutes. At this point I run for 3 minutes and then walk for two, but I'm still averaging around a 16 minute/mile pace. And I'm totally okay with that.

You don't want to "run" when you're running. You want to jog. As slow as you have to.
  • michelegurr
    michelegurr Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    LISTEN TO YOUR BODY...if it says don't run yet, then don't! The last thing you want to do is blow out a knee or an ankle then you won't even be able to "Just" walk for awhile! Walking is better for your joints (the more you weigh the more stress is put on them but works exponentially!). If you truly want to be a runner someday, then great! But maybe for now try power walking: walk at your fast pace (I happen to be a fast walker naturally myself), but add some exaggerated arm movements for a more aerobic workout. I can never be a runner because while I don't have bad knees per se, it just plain is not comfortable for me to run BUT there are plenty of other choices out there (Gonna throw in my plug for the Wii video game system - get any of the Just Dance games - you WILL get an aerobic workout LOL). Also, another plug for a favorite thing: if you wanna run and your biggest complaint is The Girls hurt from bouncing all over the place, then go to titlenine.com and they have the best selection of bras for any size woman! Anything from cute little AA's to The Girls Will Not Bounce We Guarantee It bras! Remember marathon runners do not just wake up one morning and go hmmm let's I dunno...run 25 miles today! They spend lots of time preparing and working up to their goals and if you can do myfitnesspal you can become a runner...in time! AND my favorite saying, anything worth having is worth working for! Good luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    How about me? I just turned 60 years *young*. I've never run but I have a treadmill and have been slowly jogging maybe 1 minute then walk then when ever I think I can do another... jog...any other over 60 joggers out there? Jen

I won't hit 60 for a couple more years. I ran my first 5K at 52 and I know lots of runners in their late 50s and up......it's never too late to start, it just takes a little longer for the changes to happen.

Take it slow and easy and be consistent, you'll surprise yourself (in a good way)!
  • geerunz
    geerunz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you google the Galloway method. It is interval running and you should have great success with it.

^second this :smile:
  • teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Two words........slow down.

When I first started running I was around your weight (235 or so) and could barely go around the block without feeling like death would be a relief. I used a "run" (more like a shuffle) 1 min, walk 9 which then moved up to run2 walk 8 etc etc until I could "run" 10 minutes without stopping. Since then I have run 5ks, 10ks, half-marathons and sprint triathlons & duathlons.......it takes patience (don't rush the progress) and perseverance.

If you can walk briskly you should be able to make the transition using a method like I've described but keep the pace slow, focus on building endurance first.

This. Plus it's realllyyy hard to run when you have stuff moving around. I tried to start off running as well, but it didn't work when I was at 215, so I switched to the elliptical, that I ended up loving! Running is pretty high impact when you have a lot of extra weight on you. No worries though! I would also recommend a gradual interval program like this one above, or the Galloway method as suggested by someone else. Don't try to just go as fast as you can! Work on endurance and then speed.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I'm just about getting the courage to run on the treadmill. I am kind of scared of running in front of people but feel more comfortable doing it on a treadmill than out in the street. I'm worried people will think I'm too fat and can't keep up. Reality is - I can't.

I weigh 230lbs and can walk at a brisk pace for miles and on a gradient. People often comment that I walk too fast but that's normal for me. It gets my heart rate up and I can burn up a sweat but I feel I can get more benefit from running. After a warm up, I can jog or run for about 30 seconds and then I feel like I'm ready to throw up. My chest burns, my boobs hurt, my legs hurt and I feel dizzy. Is this normal for someone who doesn't normally run? I thought I'd get some benefit if I can run for 30 seconds and then walk for 5 to get over the horrible feelings I get, but how can I learn to run properly?

If I can get my heart rate up and sweat from a brisk walk, will running be any better or does it not matter?

slow down! stop "competing" with the people on the next treadmill or trying to run at the speed they are running at. i started out doing 30 seconds on a treadmill at 4.8. persistence and dedication are your friends. we all start somewhere and 30 seconds is a good place to start. check out c25k too it may help.

for me i started running because i got bored walking, i just wanted the walk to be over so i figured if i just ran it i would be done that much faster. i ended up just going further and then realized i enjoyed it. i love running in races - i get such a high from them it's crazy good. crossing that finish line hearing everyone cheering you on OH IT IS SUCH A RUSH! so asking if running is better - yes it is (for me).
  • AshleyMeggg
    AshleyMeggg Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    C25K is good, but I had better results with this app. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zombies-run!-5k-training/id566596422?mt=8 Its super entertaining, and it doesn't push too hard.
    With whatever program you follow though, don't be afraid to repeat it as many times as you feel necessary.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I'm just about getting the courage to run on the treadmill. I am kind of scared of running in front of people but feel more comfortable doing it on a treadmill than out in the street. I'm worried people will think I'm too fat and can't keep up. Reality is - I can't.

I weigh 230lbs and can walk at a brisk pace for miles and on a gradient. People often comment that I walk too fast but that's normal for me. It gets my heart rate up and I can burn up a sweat but I feel I can get more benefit from running. After a warm up, I can jog or run for about 30 seconds and then I feel like I'm ready to throw up. My chest burns, my boobs hurt, my legs hurt and I feel dizzy. Is this normal for someone who doesn't normally run? I thought I'd get some benefit if I can run for 30 seconds and then walk for 5 to get over the horrible feelings I get, but how can I learn to run properly?

Why don't you try HIIT? walk for a couple minutes, then sprint for a couple minutes, then repeat the whole process for 20 minutes. Burns as much as straight jogging for 60 minutes (I've read, anyway).
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    C25K

I second this! I have bad asthma and found it really difficult to run initially, but on Saturday I ran for 20 mins solid and totalled about 4 km (including the warm up/down walks)!

Go slowly at first - if you feel out of breath slow down. Do each week over and over until it feels easy then move on. But overall, remember that no excercise is wasted. If you don't feel ready to start the C25K yet, go for brisker and brisker walks until you feel fitter.

www.nhs.uk/livewell/c25k/

OMG you give me hope!! I also have bad asthma and like the OP really want to run. I'm just getting started, trying to avoid running on pavement to save my knees (about 90 pounds to lose). I feel like you have given me permission to take a month on week 1 if I have to. :)
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Say!
    In the dark?
    Here in the dark!
    Would you, could you, in the dark?
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Say!
    In the dark?