Resisting Temptations

Options
I tend to have quite a bit of difficulty, especially when it comes to eating healthy. >-<; I have quite a penchant for sweets and was curious if anyone has tips or ideas for resisting when the temptations and cravings arise.
Much thanks in advance.

Replies

• anlu37
    anlu37 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Moderation. Moderation Moderation.

I had a brownie for breakfast yesterday. I don't feel guilty about it. But I did stay within my calorie limits. And it was only one regular-sized brownie...not a giant one the size of my face!

Mindset it really key to eating in moderation. I don't have an "I can't eat that" list. I do, however, say, "I can't eat that right now" quite frequently. It's not bad to eat sweets. It's bad to eat sweets all day and every day. When something is off limits, it's within my rebellious nature to want more! Thinking about it differently and deciding for yourself is key.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Most of the time restricting leads to binges and unhealthy relationship with food. We all have things we like and crave. Those things sould be eaten as long as they fit in your calories/macros.
  • sarahnc_
    sarahnc_ Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, tried allowing myself a little bit of whatever i was craving every day, but once I start, I really can't stop...So: keep BUSY. Instead of eating out of boredom, do something. That todo list? Do that instead of opening the snack cupboard. And stay mentally present. Before you reach for whatever you're craving, think about what the consequences will be...Will you really feel better after you eat it? Will having it really make your day that much better, or will you feel better knowing that you were able to say no? Drink water, chew gum, brew up some tea, take a walk, WHATEVER.

I was at a picnic with some girlfriends the other day and there was a huge plate of cookies. When I thought I was finally going to crack, I took a trip to the bathroom just to get away from the temptation. Whatever it takes. Or if you really can't resist, have that brownie/cookie/chocolate/ whatever and eat better for the rest of the day. But don't beat yourself up over it!
  • Rogsman
    Rogsman Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Almost all my weight was gained with sweets. Cake and ice cream. Seriously. 70 lbs worth. Why do we do that to ourselves? How do we do it without even thinking about it? It's a mystery. Luckily the damage can be undone.

Surround yourself with healthier options to replace them. I never used to eat fruit, but have a fridge full of them now. For ice cream lovers Greek yogurt is a god send, and I've never been a yogurt fan. There are low calorie ice cream options, get used to them. These satisfy any binge I feel coming on and easily fit within my calorie goal.

One thing I do when faced with an evil sweet that doesn't fit is think about my goal, the effort I've put into reaching it, and how easily a few evil sweets can derail me. Then I grab the fruit. Works every time.