Thanksgiving - Is indulging okay with your plan?

Replies

• ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    I'm going to eat until I hate myself.

All jokes aside, nothing we serve on thanksgiving is really all that bad.

Sure I'll try to stay in my goal but if I don't I won't cry.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Food will be destroyed. It will not be pretty. There will be no regrets.
  • bettermistakes87
    bettermistakes87 Posts: 53 Member
    Eat what I want, track it, laugh at the numbers.

Try to have a "I ate 30000000 more calories of pumpkin pie than you" contest?

Lol This ^
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Happy Thanksgiving, eh! :smile:

I cook dinner myself, so I do what I can to make it as nutritious as possible, I run a few miles, and then enjoy the day with no guilt.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    I will go to my parent's for dinner.

I will eat. A LOT.

I will wear stretchy pants.

I will take a nap on the couch after all the yummy foods.

I will eat cheesecake and dainties, AND pumpkin pie.

And life will carry on. Because it's one day out of a pile where I make good choices. :) I won't get fat overnight. :)
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    first off, Happy long weekend!

second I just eat until I'm full. I don't stuff myself...I just eat my fill.

also my in laws are Polish so its normally a lot of food on the table so what I do is fast for 24 hours before to prepare for the onslaught to my stomach lol
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Out of curiousity - what is typical Canadian Thanksgiving food like?

Like someone else already said, I will focus on the veggies and turkey (no gravy, but that's actually because I just don't like gravy), and eat small portions of everything else. I will eat whatever I want and not feel bad about it afterward! I think my mom and aunts and I will probably go for a long walk in the morning or in the afternoon, so that will help offset some of the calories, but honestly, we don't tend to have super unhealthy stuff at our Thanksgivings so I don't worry too much!

I'm also a freak - been called unAmerican - because I actively HATE pie, so that makes it a little easier on me!
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member

Like someone else already said, I will focus on the veggies and turkey (no gravy, but that's actually because I just don't like gravy), and eat small portions of everything else. I will eat whatever I want and not feel bad about it afterward! I think my mom and aunts and I will probably go for a long walk in the morning or in the afternoon, so that will help offset some of the calories, but honestly, we don't tend to have super unhealthy stuff at our Thanksgivings so I don't worry too much!

I'm also a freak - been called unAmerican - because I actively HATE pie, so that makes it a little easier on me!

Canadian thanksgiving is the same as the US one (Born in Canada and lived in the US for 5 years) the only real difference is the size, I noticed American will invite every single uncle aunt nefew grandparents parents inlaws and cousins to thanksgiving...whereas Canadian (at least for me) is just close family (parents and granparents)
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member

Canadian thanksgiving is the same as the US one (Born in Canada and lived in the US for 5 years) the only real difference is the size, I noticed American will invite every single uncle aunt nefew grandparents parents inlaws and cousins to thanksgiving...whereas Canadian (at least for me) is just close family (parents and granparents)

Oh that's interesting! Thanks!! My family definitely loves to get everyone together. It's one of the few times a year we all see each other, so it's really special.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    I eat whatever I want.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    I'm a firm believer that your program, whatever it might be, should be so effective that IF you stick to it the majority of time, one or two gluttonous days shouldn't be enough to collapse the whole enchilada. I don't see any reason to restrict at all on Thanksgiving or the day after.

I think the biggest issue for most is the overall gluttony of the holidays. It's a sanctioned time to enjoy all kinds of cakes, cookies, pies, dessert coffees, etc, and have it be perfectly socially acceptable to do this just about every day from Thanksgiving till New Years. A month or so eating like this, with abandon, will likely murder a lot of progress.

I think the rule comes down to good, old "know they thyself". If you know that overindulging on a holiday is a trigger for you to spin out of control for days, weeks, or months, find a way to modify and do what you can to avoid triggers.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    When Thanksgiving comes here I am going to eat whatever I want in small portions. I'll try lasagna in a little square, and cheesecake, in a little sliver. With lots of water. But that's me, and I'm overly cautious about backsliding and falling into old habits. This is how I eat anyway so that I can sustain the weight loss long term.
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Thanksgiving and Christmas means lots of good food and days of leftovers.... so while I'm going to enjoy every bit of it, I'm going to indulge in moderation. If any cheesecake is left, it's either going home with someone else or going into the freezer! I think I can behave with everything else.:wink: Other than that, exercise, exercise, exercise, and then get back to business as quickly as possible. Not gonna stress too hard.
  • I agree, just eat what you want, just don't over do it. If you stress about it or limit yourself, you'll feel worse and then it's SOOOOO easy to give in. Here's what I do. I take that slice of cake or pie and then just take a few bites and toss it. I know it sounds wasteful but I"ve found that if I try to skip or take just a nibble, I end up "nibbling" all day. I also tend NOT to make all the trimmings anymore. Since our son is grown and thousands of miles away, I just make turkey, cornbread stuffing and either sweet potatoes or green bean casserole for my husband and myself. Instead of making a whole pumpkin pie, I make individual servings of pumpkin pudding or pumpkin mousse.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Well because what I do IMO is a lifestyle, not a diet, I tend to not sweat the holidays all that much. I eat what I like and enjoy to the fullest.
  • kan170
    kan170 Posts: 3
    I hear ya! I am allowing myself to enjoy a meal. Not a whole day, weekend or week of over eating!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    I can't wait! because i'm hosting it, i know what's going into everything...but you're damn rights I'm going to have a piece of pie :) and bacon wrapped EVERYTHING!!!
  • REALLY HEALTHY EZ AND DELICIOUS DESSERT!! 1 graham cracker or chocolate cookie crust, 1 block silken tofu, 1 package dark chocolate chips. Melt the chocolate chips in microwave or over double boiler till smooth, blend in blender with the silken tofu, pour into cookie crust and refrigerate for a few hours. Taste like a delicious french silk pie (minus the calories, fat and whipped cream topping) and NO ONE will guess it is tofu. I promise. I"ve taken it to all kinds of parties and no one guesses and they love this pie. Recipe by Alton Brown.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    It's not what you eat between Thanksgiving and Christmas that is the problem, it's what you eat between Christmas and Thanksgiving..
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    I am one of the odd ones out, but I am also only 3 weeks in and DETERMINED....really determined and i have already been stressing about this and it is 2 months away. obviously i fixate on food and that is the problem that needs to be fixed. i seriously doubt skinny people sit around months before thanksgiving thinking about what they were going to eat. I however want/need a plan so i am still in control and don't say **** it and eat 10 pieces of pie. our thanksgivings are huge, everyone brings a dish and there is a crap ton of food. so after giving this some real thought there are only like 3 dishes that are my absolute favorites. SO i will eat them and not everything else. I also plan on making my own version of some kind of pie. I also suspect i won't be comfortable or able to eat as much as i normally could..I also plan on wearing tighter pants vs stretchy ones to remind me. but I am not going to freak out. I don't really understand the concept of cheating..i would only be cheating myself..and i'm not going to! I also plan on eating about 100 less calories a day sunday-monday leading up so that even with thanksgiving i can still track a loss for the week.