wanted tips and any advice on starting to jog

Options
hey guys i just wanted to hear your tips and advice for a new jogger ...got the shoes down and a foam roller and stretching! anything you would like to throw at me , in regards to what i should expect or avoid i would love to hear!!!
thanks in advance

Replies

• notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Push yourself, but not too hard. Try to maintain a steady pace (Even if it is slow!) you don't want to burn out on the first half mile and then hate life. Just remember that it is more about distance than speed, so don't get hung up on trying to get that 6-minute mile.

The best tools I found for running were the Map My Ride app and the Zombies, Run! app. You should check them out!
  • absmith_
    absmith_ Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K program at the beginning of July, and now I can run a 5K in 37 minutes. Not the fastest ever, lol, but I could barely do 30 seconds before without stopping out of breath!!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    start out slow and find the pace where you breathing falls into a rythm with your feet, you will know it when you feel it; if you can't maintain your breathing you are a fish out of water, this pace will most likely feel annoyingly slow but you will get faster! Took me a while to learn that one and wasted way too much time!
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Haha wow, a foam roller! You're more prepared than I am! I lovelove my Nike+ Running app, but whatever you want to use (or not use) is great. I've heard that if you want to get into any new habit, you should do it at least 3x/week in order to improve. Personally I used the walk-run-walk method (a la Couch 2 5k), and I started out on a treadmill b/c I was petrified of the stress and audience of the outdoors. But that's just me. Find a routine that you enjoy, and you'll do great!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    MP3 Player and or a GPS watch of course a smart phone covers this. I like my shuffle and garmin I like to check out during my run (no phone). Just get out there and go and go for endurance speed will come as your endurance builds.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I began running with the C25K program a few years ago. That helped me get my body ready for the longer runs. I HATED running but decided to give it a whirl for weight loss. Now I love it for many reasons.... well I love it most days.

Here are some of the tips I've picked up over the years.
    1) Take it slow, it's not a race. In the beginning my pace wasn't much faster than someone's brisk walk. And I'm still not fast by many people's standards, but it's good enough for me.
    2) Have fun
    3) Breathing is the hardest thing to get down. I take 3 breaths in, 3 breaths out - always through my mouth
    4) Posture, keep your head up, don't look down at the ground, it messes with your breathing.
    5) Make sure you're well hydrated the days before your runs. I rarely carry water with me on runs less than 6 miles now (unless the weather is hot/humid).
  • shawnakrebs
    shawnakrebs Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    When I was jogging I always put gum in my mouth. I would get a dry mouth real easy, so the gum helped with that. I love my Nike Running app, it keeps track of everything from distance to pace and you can see what spots you need to work on by a color map of your run. Green is your faster speeds, yellow is moderate speed and red slowest speed. Plus if you choose it calls out how far you have gone and what your pace speed is at every mile. Like others said, start out slow. build up your stamina a little at a time. I would jog for a few minutes, walk for a few minutes. As I got better I was soon able to jog 3 mile straight without stopping.
  • _jordy_
    _jordy_ Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I started off slow. I work out from videos on the YouTube and I also jog.
    I would run until I felt tired and stopped and walked until I felt well enough to continue.
    This really helped me to be in tune with my body while I was pushing myself.
    I'm honestly the world's cheapest jogger. I have an 'acceptable' pair of shoes and jog in whatever.
    So my biggest piece of advice; Just get out and do it!
  • Code7526
    Options
    Beginners Program

Tuesday: Jog 2 miles

Thursday: Jog 2 miles

After 3 months increase the distance you jog by 10%. Every three months increase the distance by 10% until you are running 5 miles twice a week. Once you can run comfortably 5 miles twice a week then follow this program below;

Advance Program:

Monday: 5 miles

Wednesday: 5 miles

Friday: 5 miles

Play with the programs and do what makes you feel comfortable. Over training for years in running does lead to injuries, rather under train than over train.
  • Katelynmcw9478
    Katelynmcw9478 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm on the fifth week of C25K and I'm amazed at how far I've come. Running 60 seconds used to make me so winded but now I'm up to 5 minutes or more (running outside). I'd say make sure you pace yourself. It's hard to make yourself go slow, but if you don't you'll get so tired and want to quit! But now I'm addicted to it!
  • tlcampos
    tlcampos Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your advice i will try it all....have a beautiful day!!!!1
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are on your way. Definitely give c25k a try!
  • 3wdl
    3wdl Posts: 45
    Options
    Another vote here for C25k! There is a free app for it - would def give it a go and start slowly.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I was going to say C25K as well.

Or just upping the length of the jog/run. Pushing yourself a bit everyday.

Good shoes

this could help: http://25.media.tumblr.com/ac25e26b17cdba9ecb2497078e52a442/tumblr_mm3d2f4Nqz1ra0kmoo1_500.png
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    For me when I was a runner years ago I would run without killing myself. Just run at a pace that you can still have a conversation. Work up from there. It need not be torcher.
  • scottgobuck
    scottgobuck Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are ready to go, slow and steady to start. I would recommend c25k progran as well. As someone else said you have to push yourself but not too much where you hurt yourself. Running is a progression sport no matter who you are when you start but you will be amazed what it does for you, its also as much mental as physical, you will want to quit at some point but just keep telling yourself why you are doing it and that you wont fail.

And if you need any advice please ask
  • sarah456s
    sarah456s Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    What really helped me was learning the difference between discomfort and real pain. Previously, if something started hurting, like my knee, I'd immediately think I'd totally ruin my joint if I continued and would end up in a lifetime of pain. So I'd quit. But then gradually as I stuck to training, I learned that if I feel some discomfort, either it'll just go away, or I need to concentrate to make sure my running form is good. So now if my knee hurts for a bit, I make sure I'm running with good form and wait. Usually the pain goes away. If it doesn't, I slow down and take care of myself. I've learned what pain is alarming and what isn't, what really feels like it is in the joint, and what is muscular. I don't just quit jogging altogether at the first sign of anything, as I did so many times before.

There will be random discomforts in your legs. It's OK most of the time. In the end, you will feel so much better on the whole, that any minor discomforts will be worth it!