Pissed

Options
I'm under my caloric intake for the week, working my butt off exercising, weighing my flipping food, and I gained a pound in the last week. What the frick?!? All this compromise and work for nothing.

Ready to give up...

Replies

• Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't weigh. Take you measurements, but give it more than a week. You are making changes your body needs time to adjust
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!

If it helps I tried MFP in December. I had exactly the same experience as you and 2 weeks in I quit. I started again in May and weighed 12 pounds more than I did in the December!! I'm now 50lbs down because I DIDN'T QUIT!!

I'm no expert but just keep at it. You'll lose within the next 2/3 weeks if your logging accurately and working out I promise you.

Good luck.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    whaaaaatttt? one week and one pound and you're even thinking about/discussing throwing in the towel? That's ludicrous. One pound could be water retention from sodium. One pound could be that your system's backed up and you haven't had a good poop in a couple of days. If you're in any kind of longer term weight loss program then one week is nothing. You will most likely run into stalls and plateaus that last for weeks. You have to be stronger than that.
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm under my caloric intake for the week, working my butt off exercising, weighing my flipping food, and I gained a pound in the last week. What the frick?!? All this compromise and work for nothing.

Ready to give up...

The number on a scale is just that a number. So many factors play a role, the way you stand, if you are wobbly, if you have heavier clothes on, the time of day, the amount you have been drinking, etc. Go by how you feel, are you feeling better? are your clothes fitting better?
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I've lost 75 pounds. Do you really think that I didn't have any weeks where the scale went up? Or WEEKS where it didn't move? Or how about that five pounds I gained over the holidays thanks to my MIL's awesome southern home cooking? It happens. It's called life. Weight loss isn't linear.

If you want to give up, then give up. You will accomplish nothing but failure by giving up.

Or......Find something that is sustainable long term and you won't have anything to give up. It will be a lifestyle. :flowerforyou:
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Y u no log water?

y-u-no-template1.jpg
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Is this how you run your life, just give up after minimal effort?

Your life, your choice
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Thought this would be about alcohol.

1037323_original.gif

Anyway, you should probably just quit. That will be far more effective.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

Ready to give up...

Might aswell, if you can't handle a week, because it isn't going to get easier... or maybe do some searches on here, and I bet you find your answers on why you gained a pound after working your butt off in the gym.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    DAM, thought you meant drunk as in pissed.
    I feel like doing that today
    such a peach of a day here.
  • elsdonward
    elsdonward Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Sorry about that angry young woman who wants alcohol. I have just had a three week plateau - where I did not give up and suddenly three pounds melted away. So if you have a proper scale you need not be afraid to weigh and you will see your weight wondering up and down two and a half pounds or so. If you do not do it it will not happen for you and believe me it is happening right now
  • kcsaville
    kcsaville Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wow, really? I don't normally give this advise, but... Yes, you might want to just give up because if you are going to cry about 1 pound in a week, this really isn't for you. Or... If you weighed in today, maybe it was because of a higher sodium day yesterday and you need to ride it out and drink some water.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Im up two pounds this week I just strted logging again and working out everyday am I pissed you bet your *kitten* I am. Am I giving up No way Persistance is the key I will work harder next week and log everyday. Im anxious to see where I will be in 5 weeks
    Good luck :drinker: :smile:
  • lcmweight
    Options
    I log my weight every day. I saw every day that I was going up or staying the same. It was really frustrating because I walk 5-6 times a week and do a boot camp 3X's a week. After 2 weeks of going up/staying the same I finally lost 5 lbs.

I agree it is frustrating but if you stay with it it really does work. You just have to find what works for you (and it takes time).

I have been changing my lifestyle slowly over the last 3 months and now I am down about 16 lbs
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    First off, don't give up. A week is just that, a week. It took longer than that for you to gain the weight.

Don't go by just the number on the scale. So many factors can influence that number - a higher sodium meal in the past couple days making you retain water, when you weigh, how long it's been since you last pooped, etc. Use the scale as one tool to gauge success. Also measure yourself to see when/where you're losing inches, judge how you're feeling and how your clothes are fitting. I remember one week I gained well over a pound but the jeans that were a touch snug the week before fit perfectly the day I logged my "gain".

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13 read here about adjusting your calorie goals as MFP often recommends something too low to be sustainable. And remember, you're in this for the long hall. Don't give up something you love to eat or drink if you're not going to be able to do without it for the rest of your life. Instead work it into your calories. I have a raging sweet tooth, eat Oreos or ice cream nearly every day and average losing just over a pound a week.

Good luck!
  • WadeDM0
    WadeDM0 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try cycling your calories.... I have been using Chris Powells program and it even has a sling week ( high calories for the entire week) which does work.... Lost 48 lbs in 86 days so far
  • TammyW18
    TammyW18 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    if you weighed in today after the double sodium intake you had yesterday... water retention...
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should weigh yourself after pissing... ?
  • TLC7613
    TLC7613 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    NOO!!! Don't give up! The time will pass anyways, might as well get healthy. Like everyone says, muscle weighs more then fat so that could be whats happening. I agree with everyone else too, sodium intake makes a huge difference. I only weight once a week in the Am after I use the bathroom. Your body could be fighting the change. Give it a few more weeks
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Weigh daily and use trendweight.com to track the trend in your weight over time. Ignore the actual number on the scale, and just watch the trend.

Weight fluctuates daily. I have been known to put on 4 or 5 pounds in one day, while continuing on a downward trend. If you only weigh weekly, you'll miss the trend, and a short term spike can be demoralizing.

Check this graph. Notice the upticks in actual weight around Sept 16, and the massive upticks on 26th and 27th, yet the trend continues downward.

Snap2.jpg