If you are wearing size 10UK jeans (or 8UK or 12UK)...

Options
If you are wearing size 10UK jeans (or 8UK or 12UK) what are your waist and hip measurements? I'm particularly interested in UK sizing as I know conversion with USA and other sizes can vary between brands.

I'm size 10 (5' 7.5 and 157lb) with 40.5in hips and 31in waist (33.5in if measured around the belly button). According to the sizing guides for all online UK shops I've checked (Next, Dorothy Perkins, Aware, etc) I should be wearing 16-18 trousers.

I'm curious how do measurements for size 10UK compare for real people. Also curious for the sizes up and down (so I'd know how much more I'd need to lose if I was to aim for 8UK ;)

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Its your tiny TINY T I NY lower waist/belly.... T I NY that makes you a 10 :)

heres mine:
    size 10 UK
    smallest part of waist 27.75" - lower waist 36!!
    Hips 36.5"
    Height 5ft 3" and currently 138lbs
  • WeeBelle123
    WeeBelle123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi! As of my weigh in and measurements yesterday, I'm 5'3, 136.6lbs with the smallest bit of my waist being 27", my belly button is 30" and hips 36.5"

Size 10/12
  • mrsg2013
    mrsg2013 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My waist is 26" and hips are 35". I'm a size 8uk
  • mel4bee
    mel4bee Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm a size 8 (i think, since i'm a size 4 usa)

waist: 25 inches
    hips: 35 inches
    5'3 and 116.5 pounds
  • RawCarrots
    RawCarrots Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the numbers, keep the coming! :):flowerforyou:

Mel4bee, in my experience there is a variation between the brands when converting from USA to UK (hence the specific uk in the title), do you find the same or are you always the same size? Thanks for the measurements anyway, appreciate taking the time to post.:smile:
  • mel4bee
    mel4bee Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hey!

Well mostly the same size, sometimes down a size, sometimes the 4 are a little tight... really depends on the store but in most of them I'm a 4 (8 uk)
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Im 28 at waist and 31 at the bottom of my belly (had 2 kids but with jillian michaels help its going down! and 36 hips. I fit into a size 10 uk at the moment, my goal is 8 as most of the shops here only go down to that size and it looks soo tiny! Im 5"5 as well
  • RawCarrots
    Options
    Thank you! Keep them coming, the more data the better :laugh: :laugh: (I'm good few inches from the next size down it seems!)
  • sarahhorrigan
    sarahhorrigan Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and 127lbs
    My waist is 26 inches
    Hips are 35 inches

I'm somewhere between a UK size 8 and 10

I don't get clothes sizing at all though! :laugh:
  • WeeBelle123
    WeeBelle123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Any more measurements?.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    No clue about the measurements at the moment as I am 9 months pregnant
    But I usually wear a UK size 10
    I am 5'7" and my pre pregnancy weight was 165lbs
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Hey RawC, I'm the same height as you, well 5 ft 7.75, fully paid-up UK wearer of jeans. :smile:

I don't know measurements but I can tell you weight. At 160lb I'm a 14, go into a 12 at 150lb, a 10 at 140lb and an 8 at 125lb. Roughly. The best jeans imo are measured by waist (widest part) so size 8 is 28, 10 is 30, 12 is 32 and 14 is 34 - then you get the sizes inbetween, too.

Hope this helps.
  • Pidgeywendy
    Pidgeywendy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Different shops seem to have their own idea on sizing too don't they? It can be very frustrating, and it's now pretty hard to say 'I'm a size 8 everywhere'.

For example, I take a size 18 jeans in M&S and Next

20 in Boden

16 in Evans

My waist is 45 inches.....sound big don't I??? But I used to be a UK 34 last year!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and 112lbs. I've just started fitting in an 8 although my measurements haven't really changed much lately so I think body composition plays a big role too. My waist is 26.75, hip 35.25. I fit well in most 8 bottoms I've tried but really struggle with non stretchy tops/jackets as I have big shoulders
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I usually wear 8 US/12 UK now and measurements are 31" waist, 40" hips. I wear 28" jeans from H & M despite my waist not actually being that small.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    28-29 waist, 38 hips.

Sizing varies a LOT from shop to shop, and will also depend on the cut of the dress, trousers etc. But by and large I fit a UK size 8-10. I'm 5'2 and 133 pounds, aiming for 130 and a flatter tum.
  • RawCarrots
    Options
    My waist is 45 inches.....sound big don't I??? But I used to be a UK 34 last year!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That is an amazing loss, well done!!

It's interesting that there is such a big variations between sizes on this thread two people with similar measurements will be different sizes. I found I was always pretty consistent in size between brands, when I was 14 I was 14 in pretty much all shops (apart from H&M which I always had to go few sizes up, once I bought size 22uk!)
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Its your tiny TINY T I NY lower waist/belly.... T I NY that makes you a 10 :)

heres mine:
    size 10 UK
    smallest part of waist 27.75" - lower waist 36!!
    Hips 36.5"
    Height 5ft 3" and currently 138lbs

My measurements are similar to this - slightly smaller waist/same hips but I'm lucky to find UK size 12 jeans to fit into! Some shops (like Topshop) I'm a 16.

I'm so trying on some 10's next time I go shopping xD
  • wrentrotter
    Options
    this is a really useful site: http://sizes.darkgreener.com

you put in your measurements and it will give you a guide to what you should get for most of the popular stores (UK and US). The difference between stores is really surprising, I can go from a 12 - 16 UK depending on the store...
  • Nenny1985
    Nenny1985 Posts: 122
    Options
    Hi. I'm aussie but I'm pretty sure UK sizes are the same. Im an 8 - 10 in tops and generally a 10 in bottoms but sometimes a 12 depending on the brand.

My measurements are:
    Bust - 34
    Waist - 28
    Hips - 36

Good luck