Taking a rest day the day before a 5K?

Options
I have one on Saturday and I'm debating on taking a rest day tomorrow..usually I walk 2 hours a day. Should i limit it or take a day off to rest up for the big day?

Replies

• JoyJulRay
    JoyJulRay Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm doing one on Nov 14th..and I wondering the same thing..look forward to what other have to say about it
  • elsa11170
    elsa11170 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    my daughters cross country couch always tells her to rest the day before.
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would definitely take a rest day before the big day! You don't want to risk any type of injury ( even if it is just walking), and I'm sure that rest will help you feel nice and refreshed for the 5k.

Good luck!!! :smile:
  • bocagirl
    Options
    I recently completed a 5K as a brisk walk and I did go for a short 30 min walk the day before. If you really want to compete in the 5K maybe do something light the day before or take off a day.

Good Luck!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is no one answer. It partly depends on your conditioning, how long you have been running, your volume of training for the week, etc.

I would definitely not walk 2 hours.

I would say that if you are ramping up the distance to the point where "finishing" the race is still the main challenge, then a day of rest is probably best. More experienced runners often benefit from doing a reduced volume of intervals at close to race pace.

If you do exercise, I would just do a short run--a lot of walking is not specific to the event, so I don't think that will help.

Good luck
  • shellybelly83
    Options
    Taking a rest day is best.
  • ambercole
    ambercole Posts: 426
    Options
    I also have a 5k on saturday and i'm just going to do P90X stretch the day before. It stretches your muscles really well and relaxes you too. I always do that before any race.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I agree with taking the day off or just doing a light slow walk to work out the kinks. Can't go wrong and it may even benefit your 5K. Have a safe and fun 5K!
  • kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My first is Saturday.

I did a hard workout on Tuesday and am taking it easy the rest of the week (also because I tweaked my ankle somehow...not working out but otherwise).
  • coastalstorm25
    Options
    I run competitive and non competitve. I would be best to take a rest the day before, but if you need to.....go for a leisurly stroll
    (walking 5k) or a slow jog for 20 mins (5K running)..just to take the edge off....and make sure you eat enough the day before the run, also have a light snack before running to keep up your energy.
    Good Luck !
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with training strong the week of the race and resting the day before. Eat really well and go into the race on fresh legs!