Is it motivating to look at someone else's diary or NOT?

Options
I noticed the last time I was on here that it was very distracting and demotivational to view (on a daily basis) other people's diary. Now, I admit to getting a few good food ideas like items from the store I'd never tried...but...I was also self conscious and always comparing myself...AND the thought that people could see my diary made me hesitant to post what it was. I had a different profile then and I remember worrying what my friends would think of all the low fat yogurt I was eating.

My solution was to keep it private so I could grow and experiment without judgment. For specific questions I have decided to mail ppl or use the forum.

So that's my story how about you?

Replies

• WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I haven't been judged for the foods I eat. At least not from anyone on my friends list. I like seeing how other people split up their meals through the day, and like you, I get some good ideas. I guess as far as motivational, no, but it's not unmotivational either. I just see it as a tool to help me learn and grow.
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I don't know that it's hugely motivating for me. Yes, I might get some food ideas (and they from me), but a lot of times I just can't relate when I look i.e. protein powder mixes that I don't use. Sometimes I think it helps me remember to make better choices though (do I really want that 2nd piece of cake? What will they think/say?)
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Mine is open and I appreciate peeking into my friend's diaries. I find good and bad days in mine and in theirs. I am always curious how I compare....I am only judgmental when I have been asked to be (one friend requested chastisement when she eats popcorn).
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I have no desire to look at the diaries of others and don't share mine. We're all different. My food is very simple & repetitive. I like it that way.

But I don't need motivation or tips on how to eat either. I know what I'm doing. I can understand someone just getting started on a specific meal plan being helped by seeing menus.
  • kakklespakkle
    kakklespakkle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I very rarely look at other people's diaries. I'm interested in people and what workouts they're doing and how they're feeling, but what they chose to eat is their business.

My diary used to be open, but I find I am more honest if I keep it private! I know damn well if I've made bad choices, I don't need someone to point it out to me, but I also find it important to track exactly what impact those choices made on my calorie intake. It's not like I don't know why I've put on weight if I've eaten crap!
  • BabyNurseJen
    BabyNurseJen Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It's not motivating for me, but it gives me ideas. I'd never comment negatively about someone's diary, or provide constructive criticism unless asked. No one has yet had anything negative to say about my diary. I wouldn't welcome unsolicited advice about my diary either, but I don't worry what other people are going to think about it. I'm doing this for me, not them.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I like seeing other people's diaries. I am always looking for ways to tweak macros and if I see a particular combination that jumps out I might try it. I have incorporated several new foods into my diet on a regular basis due to things I've seen in my friend's diaries. It is also very good for me to see that people are not always perfect and that it doesn't have to be a full-blown catastrophe to have a bad meal or day.
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have been fortunate to collect a very caring and supportive set of friends. I've found it helpful to me to keep my diary open, as I know they will be looking at it. I think twice before eating that extra snack because they'll see it. None of them are judgmental by any means, but the day I ate a 340 calorie dunkin donut, they knew.

Alternatively, I see that sometimes my friends eat a candy bar or pizza. Sometimes they stay under, sometimes not. They still log and they are still losing, as am I, despite the doughnut. It makes me feel better about not being perfect to know that they aren't perfect either.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I eat every day, which can confuse a lot of people.
  • NewandImproved1
    Options
    Thanks for this...I am also honest with myself in this profile now that no one can see..
  • NewandImproved1
    Options
    Thanks for sharing
  • ToFatT0B3S1ck
    ToFatT0B3S1ck Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I haven't ever looked at another person's food diary, I don't think it would be motivating because you never know what you are going to see. They may be under their calorie goal, but you may notice a food item that may trigger a craving.
  • EdwardNortonFan43
    EdwardNortonFan43 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I like looking at other friends' diaries, and others can see mine. I've gotten a few ideas of foods to buy and try, and like someone else said in this thread, I'm more aware of what I'm eating because I log it for everyone to see every day.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I can get ideas for my own meals and I'm always open to that. Also, I'm real and if I've had a bad eating day, I record that.
  • NewandImproved1
    Options
    Thanks for your replies everyone!
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I like to look sometimes just for ideas different than mine :smile:
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I like looking at my friends diaries, not to criticise but to get some ideas. Also it's good to know that everyone isn't always perfect 100% of the time & have treats.
    Mine is only open to my friends. I have nothing to hide & no one has EVER said anything negative about what I've eaten. 1 of my friends I asked for her to specifically look at my diary to help me out as she was so successful in her weight loss & she noted that I probably need more veggies. Took that on board & it has helped.
  • JDMarlowe
    JDMarlowe Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I dont find it motivating, but i do look to get ideas on things i can put into my diet.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    depends on the diary imo
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    ok, I'm ready to take the plunge. going to open up my diary :)
    <-- inching towards the edge of the diving board. eeks.

I've gotten out of my exercise routine (hill hiking, tennis, dvds), so I'm feeling opening up my diary will encourage me to get back on track. wish me luck
    :wink: