Need advice on why I feel like i'm starving at night.

Options

Replies

• Chelseylynn11
    Options
    How do I open my diary? and I usually average out to 700-800 calories a day. I did learn skim milk is bad. My aunt does the paleo thing, so I listen to her a lot.
  • Chelseylynn11
    Options
    I will usually eat my protein around 7am.
  • Joypm9
    Joypm9 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I was seeing a nutritionist he always had me eating 1/2C low fat cottage cheese 30 mn before bed. He said the Protein before bed would help keep me full. It worked for me. If you are working out you can eat a few more calories. Good luck to you!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    How do I open my diary? and I usually average out to 700-800 calories a day. I did learn skim milk is bad. My aunt does the paleo thing, so I listen to her a lot.
    stop listening to your aunt:flowerforyou:
    i hate skim milk though

you NEED to eat.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Click Food then Settings. Scroll to the bottom and hit Public.

You seriously seriously need to eat more. Keep in mind that in an average day your body is burning probably around 2100-2300 calories. You will continue to lose weight as long as you eat less than that. 1200 is already a very large calorie deficit.
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    I will usually eat my protein around 7am.
    you can eat whenever you want.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Ugh... there is nothing wrong with milk. Paleo is a waste of time.... just eat foods that make you happy instead of demonizing food because your great great great great great great great grandfather didn't eat them and your aunt falls for this.

800 calories is nothing. Eat more.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Ugh... there is nothing wrong with milk. Paleo is a waste of time.... just eat foods that make you happy instead of demonizing food because your great great great great great great great grandfather didn't eat them.

800 calories is nothing. Eat more.

Oh, uh, yeah. Skim milk is not bad. Well, it's bad insofar is it's not nearly as tasty as whole milk. Whole milk is great.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Is it possibly you're so hungry because your daily deficit is too high?

(That's my guess, but will admit I'm missing some of the necessary facts.)

Yes, I was thinking this exact same thing.

Chelsey Lynn, it seems to me you do need to eat more, especially since you exercise as well.

16 pounds lost in five weeks comes out to about 3 pounds lost per week. That is not safe at all.

Skim milk is not bad. Nothing is forbidden unless you doctor tells you not to eat something or you have intolerances or allergies.

Please please PLEASE eat.
  • Chelseylynn11
    Options
    whole milk is great lol. OK so new goal this week. Learn to accept that I need to eat more. Got it!
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Yup, if you are hungry. Eat, it doesn't have to be something bad. A bowl of veggies or something light.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    whole milk is great lol. OK so new goal this week. Learn to accept that I need to eat more. Got it!

Your food choices look fine. You just need to eat more.

I'd suggest upping your calorie goal to 1400, actually. Gives you some more wiggle room to keep from being hungry and you will still be losing weight at a fairly quick rate.

Also, it looks like you're not weighing your food since everything is coming out at even numbers like 4 ounces or 2 cups. Eyeballing food, or measuring using volume (like cups) is highly inaccurate. Spend $15 and get a food scale, and weigh EVERYTHING:
    http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Digital-Kitchen-Capacity-Stylish/dp/B003E7AZQA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1381544348&sr=8-2&keywords=food+scale
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I disagree that paleo is a necessarily bad approach. If that's what helps you to eat at an appropriate level and has you adequately satiated, then I'd say do it...

...but if it doesn't do these things, and it just makes things more difficult/more complicated, then yeah, it isn't necessary at all.

Most importantly:

1. Determine an appropriate daily amount of calories.
    2. Eat to those numbers every day for six weeks.
    3. Evaluate your results and adjust as necessary.
    4. Repeat until goal.
    5. Success.
  • Winston1717
    Options
    Your daily caloric deficit could be too high...in addition to sugar and carb intake. I found once I increased protein fat and fiber intake I was not hungry during the day and at night.
  • Chelseylynn11
    Options
    I do have a scale. I just make sure it's perfect. Like I said I have kind of caught myself being OCD this time.
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    I do have a scale. I just make sure it's perfect. Like I said I have kind of caught myself being OCD this time.
    good...keep weighing things

but relax.

life is good...treat yourself well, you do not to be ultra strict to do well...even if you go over you are STILL in a deficit.

Also, what are you doing as far as working out?
  • jonnythan
    Options

OK.

I'd also suggest a few tweaks for your diary:

1) Stop tracking sugar. Sugar is irrelevant. Track fiber instead.
    2) Stop tracking sodium. Sodium is irrelevant (unless you have high blood pressure). Track calcium instead. Calcium is very important.
    3) Up your protein goal to 20% or 25%. Protein is filling and helps preserve lean mass. Treat this as a minimum - your goal is to get at least that much protein a day.
    4) Treat fat as a minimum as well. You can't really consume too much dietary fat. Fat is delicious and more filling in general than carbs, and consuming fat is very good for hormone levels, brain function, and skin and nails.
  • Cranquistador
    Options

OK.

2) Stop tracking sodium. Sodium is irrelevant (unless you have high blood pressure). Track calcium instead. Calcium is very important.
    3) Up your protein goal to 20% or 25%. Protein is filling and helps preserve lean mass. Treat this as a minimum - your goal is to get at least that much protein a day.
    4) Treat fat as a minimum as well. You can't really consume too much dietary fat. Fat is delicious and more filling in general than carbs, and consuming fat is very good for hormone levels, brain function, and skin and nails.
    ^this for the most part

and if you want a lil ice cream, make room that day.:flowerforyou:
  • Chelseylynn11
    Options
    thanks for the advice! I started walking last week. I plan on joining the gym next week hopefully.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

OK.

This is my approach as well (ideally). And if you have 147 pounds to lose then you really do need to eat more.