What are quick-added calories?

EdwardNortonFan43
EdwardNortonFan43 Posts: 150 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I've noticed after looking at several of my friends' food diaries that they log "quick-added calories" to their diaries. I thought the whole point of a diary was to log everything you eat. I'm confused.

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    a way to add in calories when you don't have all the nutrition info handy. like eating out
  • EdwardNortonFan43
    EdwardNortonFan43 Posts: 150 Member
    a way to add in calories when you don't have all the nutrition info handy. like eating out

If you eat out, how do you know how many calories you've eaten unless you look it up on mfp?
  • also works well if you have walked through a store like Costco and had several samples and just don't know how to log them
  • ToFatT0B3S1ck
    ToFatT0B3S1ck Posts: 194 Member
    It's only adding the calorie content of the foods you are eating. I don't track anything besides my calorie intake. Weight loss is as simple as calories in vs. calories out. I eat whatever I want (in moderation) and don't like being lectured by people who haven't lost as much weight as I have. It bothers me so much when I see people who haven't lost that much giving others weight loss advice. To avoid the unwanted advice and lectures, I keep it at quick added calories only.
  • MityMax96
    WAG. wild *kitten* guess
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member

If you eat out, how do you know how many calories you've eaten unless you look it up on mfp?

There's a lot of info that's not on MFP, especially for smaller places. Sometimes you just have to guess.

If you see people using quick-add calories a lot, they're probably being lazy and not logging properly.
  • MityMax96
    It's only adding the calorie content of the foods you are eating. I don't track anything besides my calorie intake. Weight loss is as simple as calories in vs. calories out. I eat whatever I want (in moderation) and don't like being lectured by people who haven't lost as much weight as I can. It bothers me so much when I see people who haven't lost that much giving others weight loss advice. To avoid the unwanted advice and lectures, I keep it at quick added calories only.

that works too
  • jonnythan
    It's only adding the calorie content of the foods you are eating. I don't track anything besides my calorie intake. Weight loss is as simple as calories in vs. calories out. I eat whatever I want (in moderation) and don't like being lectured by people who haven't lost as much weight as I have. It bothers me so much when I see people who haven't lost that much giving others weight loss advice. To avoid the unwanted advice and lectures, I keep it at quick added calories only.

This is kind of a weird post.
  • ToFatT0B3S1ck

There's a lot of info that's not on MFP, especially for smaller places. Sometimes you just have to guess.

If you see people using quick-add calories a lot, they're probably being lazy and not logging properly.

Highly doubt my ticker says I'm being lazy ;) What I eat is my business hence quick add calories.
  • jonnythan

Highly doubt my ticker says I'm being lazy ;) What I eat is my business hence quick add calories.

I said "probably." You're a bit defensive about this.
  • ToFatT0B3S1ck

I'm the person on her friend list...
  • jonnythan

I'm the person on her friend list...

Well no one knew that until now.

BTW, if you don't want people looking at and commenting on your diary, you can make it private. That probably makes a lot more sense than adding everything as quick-add just so no one knows what you're eating.
  • MityMax96

low on carbs? :bigsmile:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

:huh:

Some people don't have much to lose or they are here to gain or maintain...doesn't mean they don't know what they are talking about because they don't have a double or triple digit loss.
  • ToFatT0B3S1ck
    I wasn't actually trying to come off as being defensive. I was just trying to explain my reasoning behind it.
  • Touji
    Touji Posts: 32 Member
    I don't think this is necessarily true.

I live in Quebec and a lot of things that are available here just have not been added.
    Besides that point, I round up everything I eat to make counting easier. A can of tuna that is 140 calories gets counted as 150 for convenience and to make sure I am under my calorie goal.
  • jonnythan
    I don't think this is necessarily true.

I live in Quebec and a lot of things that are available here just have not been added.
    Besides that point, I round up everything I eat to make counting easier. A can of tuna that is 140 calories gets counted as 150 for convenience and to make sure I am under my calorie goal.

For every person like you, I see a dozen that fill their diary with "quick add calories" and wonder why they're not losing weight.
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    I use "quick add" when I eat something that I really can't break down. A few days ago I had dinner with a friend. She made some sort of casserole. Rather than pick apart every ingredient and listing "3 peas, 1/12 potato, 1/2 cup some kind of thickened sauce, a couple slivers of chicken..." in my diary, I just eyeballed it and assigned it 300 calories. Was I close? Who knows? But it was my absolute best guess. My other option would have been not to eat it...and that wasn't going to happen. It's just dealing with real life.
  • a way to add in calories when you don't have all the nutrition info handy. like eating out

The webpage for the restaurant, asking for a basic food prep breakdown at a mom and pop shop and estimating using 15 years of nutritional information that is logged in my head, etc.

My food scale has the calorie and macro nutrient breakdown for fruits, veggies, nuts, meats, etc. I write that down in my personal log, and tend to fast add the calories when I don`t have time to add them line by line, or didn`t record them line by line in the first place as I can add the calories into memory and then get the totals.

Also like others have said I tend to round my calories to the nearest 5 for simplicity.
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member

But aren't you doing yourself a disservice by doing that? Congrats on your weight loss, but if someone was lecturing me on my diary, I would just delete them if they were a friend. If they weren't, I would not make my diary viewable. I like knowing what I ate, macronutrient breakdown, etc.

And your comment on ppl not losing as much weight as you giving advice... you don't know if these ppl have reset their tickers, have a masters in nutrition etc.
This discussion has been closed.