Fat Acceptance (HAES)

Options

Replies

• runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I think there is a difference between accepting yourself as a person and accepting being unhealthy. Personally, I think that when you accept yourself as a person its easier to be honest about healthy changes you may need to make. There is more to every person than their weight, but the idea that people are encouraging obesity is sad (and hopefully just misunderstood) Maybe it is more aboutaccepting yourself as a person.
    And, "every size" to me doesnt mean every weight. Some people are short, tall, small or large framed by genetics....this has little to do with the actual amount of fat they have. Let's face it, not all of us are barbie dolls, but that doesnt mean we shouldnt eat right excercize and maintain a healthy weight for our body.

The basic idea of HAES is that you don't need to be thin to be healthy, however they still ignore doctors when they're told that they're not healthy because of their weight. They actively encourage people to accept being fat, and never try to change themselves, as well as telling anyone who does attempt to lose weight that they are a statistical anomaly if they don't gain it back after 5 years (i.e if you're fat, don't even bother trying, there's no point)

I see. Well in that case yes, they are off base.
  • Eaving1
    Eaving1 Posts: 40
    Options
    There's also the issue of their addressing anyone (be it family, friends or strangers) who expresses genuine concern as 'fat shaming concern-trolls' If your daughter/sister/mother/father/son etc was 400lb, you'd say something wouldn't you? Because 400lb is NEVER healthy. When you have trouble walking up a slight incline, you have a problem.
  • Eaving1
    Options
    Have a read through this:
    http://thisisthinprivilege.tumblr.com/
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    While I support accepting that you are not a terrible person or unattractive simply because you're overweight, I think that it can often send the wrong message that health and bodyweight is unimportant. I'm speaking mainly of the watered down Fat Acceptance movement. HAES is a bit more responsible in encouraging healthy eating, but still falls short of its goal.

Accepting that you're fat? That is fine. I'm fat and I don't hate myself for it.

Accepting that you're fat and doing nothing to improve your health and fitness? That is dangerous.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I think there is a difference between accepting yourself as a person and accepting being unhealthy. Personally, I think that when you accept yourself as a person its easier to be honest about healthy changes you may need to make. There is more to every person than their weight, but the idea that people are encouraging obesity is sad (and hopefully just misunderstood) Maybe it is more aboutaccepting yourself as a person.
    And, "every size" to me doesnt mean every weight. Some people are short, tall, small or large framed by genetics....this has little to do with the actual amount of fat they have. Let's face it, not all of us are barbie dolls, but that doesnt mean we shouldnt eat right excercize and maintain a healthy weight for our body.

The basic idea of HAES is that you don't need to be thin to be healthy, however they still ignore doctors when they're told that they're not healthy because of their weight. They actively encourage people to accept being fat, and never try to change themselves, as well as telling anyone who does attempt to lose weight that they are a statistical anomaly if they don't gain it back after 5 years (i.e if you're fat, don't even bother trying, there's no point)

Links? :flowerforyou:
    I'm having a skim read around some HAES articles now & I find it an interesting theory. First time I've ever really looked into this.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Just stay fat...
  • Mingo424
    Options
    For years I tried to convince myself I was beautiful at any size. But it was BS. I was tired all the time, sweated like crazy, winded when I would walk upstairs or long distances, couldn't lift things..the list goes on.
    Now that I've lost weight, taken the focus off food and got my butt up and moving, I've never felt better.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    If somebody wants to be overweight then they have a right to be

If they are comfortable with their body no mister what that is great

But I draw the line at people falsely claiming obesity to be healthy.
  • whierd
    Options

werd2-540x375.jpg
  • Eaving1
    Options

Which is exactly what they do.
  • Eaving1
    Options
  • munchlaxx
    munchlaxx Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    There was this girl I was online buddies with for the longest time (she was actually the one who introduced me to MFP). She weighs about 400lbs, is in poor health and always complained about having to make her own clothes. She used to try and better herself, but then she got herself very into this fat acceptance thing. She would even mock workout videos and hated that the main aim was weight loss...

The one time I posted something similar to this OP's topic on tumblr (more like just reblogged), the girl got so angry and *****ed about it. Deleted me from her online life. Oops! :noway:
  • Mutant13
    Options
    I've read this is thin privilege. It's stupid
  • whierd
    Options

Agreed. Ugly people, poor people, stupid people, weak people, etc all go through similar trials in life.
  • whierd
    Options
    Also, it seems to be aimed only at women.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I am confused by fat acceptance. they are so busy trying not to be concerned with appearance that they end up being concerned with appearance. same with some feminists, too. I've said this before but it still baffles me so I'll repeat it here.
  • Mutant13
    Options
    I am confused by fat acceptance. they are so busy trying not to be concerned with appearance that they end up being concerned with appearance. same with some feminists, too. I've said this before but it still baffles me so I'll repeat it here.

Excellent point
  • Mutant13
    Options

Agreed. Ugly people, poor people, stupid people, weak people, etc all go through similar trials in life.

Damn right.
  • whierd
    Options

You mean the whole "We want women to have a choice, but only what we agree with." thing?
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Inasmuch as health can be achieved while being overweight, I guess it'd be ok. I mean I'm definitely pro people not hating themselves. (Wheird it's probably geared toward women because our self-esteem, as a group [by gender], is documented as mostly being in the toilet; whether that's also true for men in general (don't think so) or larger men (maybe) idk)

BUT obv one prob is defining health. if people CAN get up stairs, sleep, breathe, do the activities they want to do (& not just things they are USED to doing; activities they think they'd like to take up, but haven't, because they can't or don't see themselves as able to participate), in addition to staying within reasonable bounds of risk for diseases, well, who can argue with that.

the other thing is, this is one of those approaches that assumes not being obese tomorrow will necessarily be as hard as it is today. policy and planning changes might well make a difference. eg, improved food & menu labelling. (there's another campaign in canada right now, to get chain restaurants to tell people their pasta dinners are 1200 calories. that seems obvious to us, but i really do not think most people who don't count calories have any idea)