Replies

• xmysterix
    xmysterix Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yay for sensible water-mythbusters! I'm usually alone on that lol
  • BabyNurseJen
    BabyNurseJen Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you're thirsty, drink. If you're hungry but don't think you should be, drink. Thirst sometimes masks as hunger. If your pee is orange, drink more. I couldn't tell you how much I drink during the day. It's not a gallon, I can guarantee you that.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Side note I plan on doing another work out tonight which should burn another 700 plus calories. Even if I eat a 1000 calorie dinner I will still have almost a 1000 calorie deficit from my calorie goal since I would have earned the calories from my workout, I thought this would be good but I think I read on hear that you ideally want to net 0 for your calorie deficit or your body will not lose weight. Is this true?
    Your daily goal at MFP already has a deficit built into it - meaning you could eat all the way to goal every day, do zero exercise, and you'll lose weight. Burning more cals through exercise creates a HUGE deficit, which is not what you want, and can cause you problems in the long run. Food is fuel! This is why your exercise cals are added back into your daily goal - you are supposed to eat them.

Net calories should NOT be zero, they should be at or very near your daily goal. Think of it like your paycheck - your NET pay is your take home pay, what you're left with after taxes, dues or any other withdrawals before it finally lands in your hands. If your net pay is zero, then you're left with nothing to live on. Same thing with the net cals - you don't want to leave your body with nothing! Make sense?

Eat your calories, drink water, exercise, take rest days, get good sleep, have patience. Works like a charm. If you can't eat enough to keep up with what you're burning through exercise, you either need to cut back on the exercise, or up your calorie goal and eat more. You don't have to go gonzo with the workouts to lose the weight - proper calorie intake is for weight loss, exercise is for fitness.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Hello All,

I just wanted to know the reasoning behind 8 cups of water a day. I don't like to drink water but I've been trying to make myself drink it. Yesterday morning I worked out and was happy with my weighin of 244.4 (first time in weeks I broke 245) Then I calculated my calories and made sure to drink 8 glasses of water. When I woke up this morning and weighed myself I was pissed off when I weighed 247.4! I was really discouraged. I ended up completing another cardio work out about 2 hours later and when I weighed myself after I was 245.2. I think drinking all that water inflated my weight and after going hard in the gym I lost most of it. My question is this, why force myself to drink 8 cups of water? Based on the math I found 8 cups of water is approx 4 pounds. I wasn't hungry when I drunk the water, I was just doing it because I thought it is what I'm suppose to do to lose weight but I don't want to keep adding water weight just to sweat it out.

You don't always need to drink that much water no. In fact several recent studies show no benefits at all of drinking that much water, one was a nice study where all stationary bike riders got fluids through IV so nobody could tell how much water they were getting, and no performance differences were noted in the "adequately hydrated" group. Really, if you take some sips of water while exercising, drink whenever you are thirsty, drink water instead of soda, and your urine isn't darkened, that's all you really need to do. Too much water actually can reduce performance, and if its enough in one sitting (before your body can eliminate it) its actually detrimental, so definitely don't sit around and force yourself to drink the water just because you "drank 2 cups today and I have 6 cups left" or something.

The issue of your weight above though after a workout you should expect, and is not really a problem because your muscles will always absorb some water weight after a workout (depending on the amount of inflammation due to your workout intensity) and then reduce later. And you will always weigh less after you sweat like crazy in a workout, and regain some when you rehydrate. I wouldn't weigh yourself so often either, it will just frustrate you, I'm right around where you are and know from experience :) Once/wk is enough, same day, same time in relation to your workouts and same time in the morning is best, just after you get up. I can fluctuate several pounds easily throughout the day.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Like lots of other perfectly good, early physiological/health studies, the water study the 8 glasses a day is based on was bastardised very quickly. If you like drinking lots of water then do.

If, like me, you like tea, coffee, beer, wine, soup, etc then do that instead. And no, it isn't dehydrating, that's another myth!

The only guide you have is the colour of your urine. Use that and ignore any arbitrary number or weird toxin flushing science!
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I don't like to drink water but I've been trying to make myself drink it.

I think drinking all that water inflated my weight and after going hard in the gym I lost most of it.

Hey,

Depends on the glass size - I have 2 or 3 litres a day if that's any help. You don't have to drink it plain. Add tea & coffee (no extra cals), or concentrated fruit juice, sugar and additives (soda), fat and protein (milk) - or have it sparkling. Just log the extra cals.

Your body will always keep roughly the same percentage of water in it so don't worry. It's not fat and you won't 'hold on' to it.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

Water doesn't flush out fat or toxins. Your liver and kidneys filter the "toxins" and they are excreted. Doesn't matter if you are peeing orange pee or you've had so much to drink it looks like straight water coming back out. If you exercise and sweat a lot you probably need to rehydrate but the urine color test is your best way to check if you are hydrated enough not some broscience on half your body weight in water or any of the other silliness.

and what do you think carries the toxins out? The water ( and other fluids) dilute and "flush" the toxins out.

In my case, the amount of water is NOT broscience. My doctor spent several months doing 24 and 48 hour urine tests to determine the correct amount of water for me. I thought it was rather interesting that it happened to be 1/2 my body weight in ounces. At 64oz, I was still dehydrated according to my urine tests.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

and what do you think carries the toxins out? The water ( and other fluids) dilute and "flush" the toxins out.

In my case, the amount of water is NOT broscience. My doctor spent several months doing 24 and 48 hour urine tests to determine the correct amount of water for me. I thought it was rather interesting that it happened to be 1/2 my body weight in ounces. At 64oz, I was still dehydrated according to my urine tests.

Ok, so you are a special snowflake that needs a set amount of water. Maybe you only eat a lot of dry foods or you sweat excessively. Anyway, if you drank less of water your body would still carry out the horrid toxins (still not sure where people are ingesting all these toxins) , your urine would just be more concentrated.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Ok, so you are a special snowflake that needs a set amount of water.

SNARK ATTACK! Everybody out of the water NOW!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

Ok, so you are a special snowflake that needs a set amount of water. Maybe you only eat a lot of dry foods or you sweat excessively. Anyway, if you drank less of water your body would still carry out the horrid toxins (still not sure where people are ingesting all these toxins) , your urine would just be more concentrated.

Never said I was a special snowflake...but I did have medical testing done every 3-6 months for 2 years. When I drank 64oz, my urine was pale, yet my urine output was too low. The mineral concentration was high enough to promote stone formation.

The reason I told my story is that at that time in my life, I was only about 15lbs lighter than OP.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    the body needs water. ..I was saying the same thing when I first started but now it's easy....2 cups when I wake up. 1 cup before every meal. and another 2 cups before bed...I get at least 7 cups a day...more if I'm working out that day
  • mbatterbee
    mbatterbee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Possibly because people (and water 'manufacturers/sellers' say so) ..... Have a read of this (There's a BBC program associated with this if you can get BBC i-player where you are. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24464774

The gist of it is that you drink what you need when you're thirsty - your body will do the rest. If you drink too much you'll be going to the loo more to sort out the excess. It's likened to oxygen, you don't breathe extra because oxygen is good for you, you breathe what you need. Likewise water, your body should tell you what you need - not somebody who produces water and makes money from it.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    The reason "they" say to drink so much water is because so many people are addicted to sodas and other sugary drinks and that is definitely not good for your weight, your kidneys, your pancreas, your teeth, etc. It's part of a public health campaign. (And also marketing to get you to buy bottled water...i.e. Dasani is owned by Coca-Cola....you don't think Coca-Cola really wants you to drink more water for your health, do you?) :smile:

You say you don't like water, but you don't say what you do like to drink.

Personally, I like water. It's all I drink, other than a large cup of black coffee in the morning and occasional wine on weekends. I just drink water when I'm thirsty. The amount varies...probably between 4-8 cups a day.