Please help- am I eating too little to lose?

Options
I have been about 145lbs for ages now and have gained and lost the same 5 lbs for about 4 years despite trying to do the right things for so long and get to my target weight of around 130-134lbs.

I recently tried an extremely low carb diet with little exercise as I had got up to about 150lbs and lost those lbs back again but am now back at square one. I'm going to start exercising now and know i have to up my carbs but have a lot of anxiety around this and not sure where to start.

I've also been eating a net of around 1200 calories a day even when I waitress/walk 45 minutes up a hill to university and other light activity. I think I'm eating too little- and have definitely deprived myself of carbs for ages.

Despite starting afresh so many times I really feel as if I have to change something and my attitude to eating and exercise and the best way to go about losing these 12lbs. It really isn't a lot to lose but it basically feels impossible.

So I just wondered if anyone had any advice? Do you eat your exercise calories? Should I eat more when I waitress/walk up the hill? Should I be eating more in general? I am beginning to think the reason I'm not losing is because I don't eat enough and have been low carving for so long.

Thanks

Replies

• candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    How tall are you?

I would create the deficit (about 300-400 a day given you don't have much to lose) using weight training. Have you tried that yet?

It will beef up your muscles and your metabolism and help burn those last few pounds.

Good luck
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    How much energy have you ? If you feel knackered then it may be worth going to the docs to check thyroids and stuff like that. For me I would also increase your calories but also increase my exercise by swimming, running or doing weights. I would do this to tone my muscles which will increase my BMR and make me feel good at the same time
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Hey,

You're speaking my language! I was stuck around 145 for years on end - MFP has helped me finally break that spell.

It can be done, you just have to find your 'sweet spot' calorie allowance. So you're not hungry/craving but still losing. And weigh and log every last little morsel that passes your lips. lt also really helps to understand about water weight and then (I find) the gains from that aren't so disheartening!

The TDEE method cuts out logging exercise and just gives you a daily calorie goal, perhaps try that?
  • FluroFaye
    FluroFaye Posts: 130
    Options
    Definitely try TDEE method.

Go to http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

I would use at least moderate if not very active for you. Considering you only have a small amount to lose, cut just 10% off the amount it gives you and eat that. Don't log your exercise, or if you do, just log the time and put in (1) calorie burnt so you don't think you should eat more :)

If you don't lose ANYTHING doing that after at least a couple of weeks with your exercise, I'd be very surprised.

P.s. Don't worry about carbs. Just try to eat them earlier in the day, mainly. Cut out the refined stuff so go to stuff like brown rice etc and don't worry about fruit.
  • 8weekbeautycorset
    Options
    Definitely try TDEE method.

Go to http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

I would use at least moderate if not very active for you. Considering you only have a small amount to lose, cut just 10% off the amount it gives you and eat that. Don't log your exercise, or if you do, just log the time and put in (1) calorie burnt so you don't think you should eat more :)

If you don't lose ANYTHING doing that after at least a couple of weeks with your exercise, I'd be very surprised.

P.s. Don't worry about carbs. Just try to eat them earlier in the day, mainly. Cut out the refined stuff so go to stuff like brown rice etc and don't worry about fruit.

If I use moderately active, it says 2200, minus 10% thats nearly 2000 calories. This seems like such a big jump from the 1200 i'm eating now and I really don't want to gain weight! Not sure what to do!!
  • R_Queenie
    R_Queenie Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I agree - that does seem like a huge jump in calories. (OP TDEE calculation)

Perhaps you can try increasing 100 calories each day for a week until you start to see a positive change?
  • peachcats
    Options
    no
    count your calories better

make sure you're weighing all your food and counting drinks
  • 8weekbeautycorset
    Options
    I'm going to increase to 1500 per day and log extremely accurately for 3 weeks and see what happens. The reason I have no diary is because its on another account. Im starting this one now and will hopefully see better results.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Should I be eating more in general? I am beginning to think the reason I'm not losing is because I don't eat enough and have been low carving for so long.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    You can push a lawn mower around the lawn, but it will not get the lawn cut without gasoline in it.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Should I be eating more in general? I am beginning to think the reason I'm not losing is because I don't eat enough and have been low carving for so long.

...you are likely eating enough.... more than likely too much for your true TDEE