Almost vomiting when working out

Options
Hello everyone! this is my form time posting on a form.

I am 20, female, 4'10 1/4", and 254lb.

I do every day:
70 sit-ups
50 pushups
20 butt crunches
40 leg lifts x each leg
attempt at a pull up ( One day I will lift myself :D )
and I play a lot of the just dance series for the wii, I am doing the highest sweat workout program.
I also ride my bike twice a week.

The last few days though I have tried doing more than whats on my list and I have almost vomited many times. But I am stubborn and my boyfriend had to yell at me to stop exercising before I actually vomit.

Is it normal to feel like you have to vomit when you push yourself to do more exercises? i am pretty desperate to lose weight and I don't want to do less exercises.

Replies

• narmowen
    narmowen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think you're pushing yourself too much. I understand the feeling of NEEDING that weight off NOW, but it wasn't on in one day, and it won't come off in one day. I think you need to work yourself up to that much if doing that much makes you (or almost) makes you vomit. Cut back on some of it. Your body isn't used to that much exercise, and it's a process to get it used to it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It's a sign that your body is not happy with what you're doing. Listen to your body.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    It's a sign that your body is not happy with what you're doing. Listen to your body.

Yep, probably a good time to stop.

Sometimes I puke if I workout right after a big meal. Not a great idea....
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    You are exercising for too long of minutes in an anaerobic state. You are hitting 90% or higher exertion output. Cycle your activities between endurance, strength, and cardio. This may help you from throwing up.

You can keep the same exercise activity, just push yourself at the anaerobic state for a little less time before continuing out at 80% max.

Make sense?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Meh. I say if you're that interested in fitness, keep a bucket nearby and keep it moving. At least you're doing this in your home (I'm assuming) and not a gym. Chances are you won't actually throw up. Due to asthma I know what it's like to have your body try to hold you back when you're not ready to stop exercising yet. So I decided to do what I could to get that situation under control so I could work out the way I like.

Perhaps there are other things to do to settle your tummy. I agree with another poster about playing with timing your meals to determine what works best for you.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    There has been one or two occasions in the last year of "serious" exercise where I've felt like I might vomit. It's just a sign to take a break and have a drink of water because you are pushing too hard.
    It's not a bad thing, it means you are giving your all and we can all be guilty of misjudging that (either way) at times... just take a break when you get to that point. 30 seconds to 1 minute is usually long enough.

Most importantly, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY.
  • AbsyPernet
    Options
    I understand how much you wanted to do this, how hard you wanted to push yourself. There is a difference between pushing yourself and pushing yourself till you get sick. Listen to your body, take it down a bit, your body will let you know! You might hurt yourself and then you will need to be "force" to have days and days of rest and therefore, start ALL over again!! Which is a massive set back.

All the best in your journey x
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Honest, not responding to anyone in particular, but I just wanted to add that people often see an out of shape person struggling with exercise and their first recommendation is to suggest something else or ask them to back off. I think they often forget it is meant to be uncomfortable, especially if you are out of shape. It is uncomfortable for a while, then it gets better. The biggest question is if this is a workout you like to do that inspires and challenges you, not (IMO) if you can do it effortlessly today.

Doing exercise videos at home years ago, my little brother would suggest, geez why don't you just take up a sport. Talking about my sports induced asthma with my sis then showing her my high intensity Zumba moves, she said well anyone would get an attack working like that :laugh: If you took on walking to start with, you wouldn't make yourself and others uncomfortable, but would that be fun and challenging for you? If yes, go for it, otherwise, fudge that!

But yes, I 100% agree with taking breaks and getting back into it. I restarted my fitness with Zumba classes which I could only do for 10 minutes at a time before taking a break :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

I do every day:
    70 sit-ups
    50 pushups
    20 butt crunches
    40 leg lifts x each leg
    and I play a lot of the just dance series for the wii, I am doing the highest sweat workout program.

A noble effort but your weight loss will come 90% from your diet and you should really consider exercise as more of a fitness goal. Carry on with what you're doing if you like it but sit ups are incredibly hard on your back.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

I do every day:
    70 sit-ups
    50 pushups
    20 butt crunches
    40 leg lifts x each leg

I would say for now, cut out the sit-ups and leg lifts (i.e., any abdominal specific exercises)
    Look to do squats, push-ups, back exercises....

Remember, marathon, not a sprint.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    oh, and even more important than exercise right now, is your diet.....what you are eating. :wink:
  • MityMax96
    Options
    sorry,
    Another thing just popped into my head....

Maybe you are going to fast through the exercises/routine.

Slow down a bit....or take a 3 - 5 min break to catch your breath and settle yourself. :wink:
  • ehimass
    ehimass Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I get the urge to vomit a little bit toward the end of most of my workouts....personally I find it to be a sign that I'm pushing myself hard and getting a good workout done. Hard intervals at the end of the 90 minute cardio sessions will get me every time....I'll start coughing and dry heaving a bit if I go just a little too hard. I think most of us have been pushed to the point of actually vomitting by a trainer or coach at some point in our lives - I know I have.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Some uneasiness will happen when you're out of shape, but you don't want to work out so hard that you actually puke.

Really getting in shape takes a while, the cardiovascular conditioning won't happen overnight. Eventually it gets easier, even if you're feeling unwell and have to ease up from time to time.
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I think it means you are pushing yourself. But I have worked out to the point where I thought I was going to vomit and I did the same thing the next day and the next. After a few days I didn't feel that sickness anymore. But I am stubborn and to me it meant the workout was a good one. I am known to do the wrong things though, so I would do what you feel is right for you.

I am doing the 30ds and I felt that nausea when I first started. It only lasted the first two workouts. Maybe you can get your workouts in with something like that where you are mixing cardio, strength, and abs. There are lots of then on YouTube. HASfit has some good ones. I like their warrior workouts.
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I can't think of an instance where vomiting is a good sign. You're overdoing it. Pull back a little, give it some time, and you'll be able to go a bit farther eventually if that's what you want to do.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I used to end up feeling sick a lot, especially after ab workouts. Maybe you could try a few compound moves to strengthen your core rather than crunches and such. I agree you should keep pushing and challenging yourself but be mindful that you are trying to make yourself healthier and if you push too hard then your workouts could have the opposite effect.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! this is my form time posting on a form.

I do every day:
    70 sit-ups
    50 pushups
    20 butt crunches
    40 leg lifts x each leg

The last few days though I have tried doing more than whats on my list and I have almost vomited many times. But I am stubborn and my boyfriend had to yell at me to stop exercising before I actually vomit.

Is it normal to feel like you have to vomit when you push yourself to do more exercises? i am pretty desperate to lose weight and I don't want to do less exercises.
    When intense exercise is executed by an individual who isn't fit for it, vomiting is a common reaction. As a trainer, I smile when someone who thinks that they can do one of my TKO classes with ease upchucks.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Exercise doesn't matter for weight loss. Calories matter for weight loss. Your exercise routine seems a bit over the top and disjointed, you'd probably be way more effective cutting out the sit-ups, leg lifts, and crunches, and adding in squats.

Adding more exercise won't help you lose weight.
  • pinksparklefairy
    pinksparklefairy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Are you eating too much too soon before your workout?

I just eat a banana or dried fruit about 40 mins beforehand - and only if it's high-impact cardio for some additional energy. Otherwise, avoid eating about 2 hours before the workout.