LADIES: How often do you lift?

Options
I all, I am looking to lift more weights but I don't know how much is too much. I try and do 3-4 days a week. I am 5 feet tall, too. So, with that said, how often do you lift?

Replies

• GamerGirly
    GamerGirly Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Ummm height has nothing to do with lifting.

I lift 5 days a week :)
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I am trying to follow the Strong Curves program which would include lifting about four times per week. It's mostly a few compound moves with a few specific isolation exercises on the lower body.

I do have some problems doing a glute exercise two days in a row due to DOMS (just starting out so increasing weight quickly on some exercises), so I stretch out my non-weight days for recovery and buffer with cardio. I probably get about three days of weights per week and six days overall of exercise.

Also, I'm 4'11." I've found that I'm stronger than many females in my age range, especially relative to my height (it's easier to do a pull - up at 100 lbs than 150 for instance) but I don't know if this is due to some genetic factor or simply because no women I know lift heavy weight.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    5, but I only lift the same body parts 2-3x a week. (Upper body twice a week, lower body 3x, basically).
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I try to every other day and do cardio the days in between but is getting more difficult lately have been crazy busy alot lately with stuff going on. So sometimes ends up being more cardio days cuz am out and about alot or super busy. But I do try really hard to make it every other day.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Four days a week, up from three. 5'6" fwiw.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I work out 5-6 days a week and usually get in 3-4 heavy lifts with anywhere from 1-3 HIIT style workouts (totally depends on my schedule)

I'm a dancer- so trainining is important- but I have a restricted access schedule to the aerobics room- and I HAVE to lift- so I lift first- and then dance... but try to dance at least 5 days a week in some form or another.

You're average lifter can get away with 2-3 workouts a week- cardio if you like it and just keeping their diet in check.

Obviously the more specific and aggressive your goals become- the harder you must work.
  • fit_grrrl
    Options
    4 times a week
  • kakklespakkle
    kakklespakkle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    2-3 times a week (plus 1x martial arts and lots of stretching, core work and walking). But it depends very much on you, don't compare yourself to others. Personally, if I push harder my body can't cope. It's all about what works for you and what you're comfortable with :)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    right now I am doing strength/resistance work 3x per week, and cardio 2x per week.
  • Amy11108
    Options
    upper body twice
    lower body twice
    so 4
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Five days per week, but I didn't start that way. I started with three days per week, and that was great for a long while. Right now, I'm training for a specific event, so I'm sticking to the prescribed training schedule I was given, which is why I'm up to five days. Otherwise, I'd probably still be lifting four days per week and just walking the rest of the week.

I agree that you shouldn't compare yourself to others--find what works for you, and take things slowly in the beginning.