50 pounds in 6 months?

Options
xrunningxcirclesx
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hi, I'm Amanda. I'm a senior in high school, and well...fat. I want to be down 50 pounds by my prom, and hopefully down around 60 by my graduation. Is this reasonable?

I'm slowly trying to cut all gluten from my diet, as I always feel gross when I eat it, but I binge when I cut things out. So I thought if I slowly tried to cut it out, I'd be more successful.

Replies

• Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't focus on a specific number, but just make sustainable changes so you are able to not binge, or quit the plan. I have found that having goals like that are counterproductive and I don't usually follow through. What works for me is having gym goals, or food tracking goals.
    Plus, you may think you look great after losing less than 50 lbs
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 down in 5 months. However, I started at 266. A pound a week between now and march is approx. 22 pounds which might be more realistic for YOU I don't know? Good luck.
  • Touji
    Touji Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This is a reasonable goal.

50 pounds in 6 months is certainly do-able. You should set your diary to lose 2 pounds a week, and you'll probably make it give-or-take a few pounds.

There are some great guides on this website for how to lose weight in a comfortable manner. Generally, the guidelines I give are:

-Eat a balanced diet
    -Make sure to count everything exactly, including weighing food and not "forgetting" to count small calories like chewing gum.
    -Drink a lot of water so your belly feels full and you stay hydrated
    -If you feel hungry, try to snack on protein - it's the most filling
    -Eat a lot of low-calorie food throughout the day instead of small portions of high-calorie food.
    -Don't skip meals, it'll cause you to binge.
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It CAN be done. I started this website on April 25th, and am down 40 pounds in just over 5 months. With another month, I don't know that I'll lose the whole 10-- but, it's close.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    You should start small and slow. Keep the 50 pound goal in mind but begin with 5 pounds, then reward yourself.
  • heisyourlife2
    Options
    When I was your age I could sneeze and lose five pounds--if you are otherwise a healthy young lady I would think you can do it. I suggest you start with logging your food and actually SEEING what and how much you are putting in your mouth. When i started doing that it opened my eyes to where I was not eating well at all. If you know gluten makes you feel bad, then start easing away from it if going cold turkey is going to backfire.
    Best wishes to you!
  • GamerGirly
    GamerGirly Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You should start small and slow. Keep the 50 pound goal in mind but begin with 5 pounds, then reward yourself.

Yes, rewards are nice just make sure it's not a buffet.
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    Options
    Yes, very doable. Good luck :)
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    I'm confused. You feel GROSS when you eat gluten? How have you determined that? There's no magical thing that cutting gluten out will do for you (unless you have celiac disease or a gluten intolerance) so if you're bound to binge from cutting things out I'd reconsider.

I assume prom is in early May, is that correct? That's ~28 weeks away. So you'd have to lose ~1.8 pounds per week which is equivalent to a deficit of ~900 calories a day.

While it is doable...it would be very very difficult considering the holiday season is right around the corner and weight loss isn't linear anyhow. I think you should strive for progress and give it your best!
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    Options
    I'm confused. You feel GROSS when you eat gluten? How have you determined that? There's no magical thing that cutting gluten out will do for you so if you're bound to binge from cutting things out I'd reconsider.

I assume prom is in early May, is that correct? That's ~28 weeks away. So you'd have to lose ~1.8 pounds per week which is equivalent to a deficit of ~900 calories a day.

While it is doable...it would be very very difficult considering the holiday season is right around the corner and weight loss isn't linear anyhow. I think you should strive for progress and give it your best!

She just said that she's slowly cutting bad things out, because taking away everything at once, will make her binge..
  • MrsBrown104
    MrsBrown104 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    very do-able! 2 pounds a week!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Amanda. I'm a senior in high school, and well...fat. I want to be down 50 pounds by my prom, and hopefully down around 60 by my graduation. Is this reasonable?

I'm slowly trying to cut all gluten from my diet, as I always feel gross when I eat it, but I binge when I cut things out. So I thought if I slowly tried to cut it out, I'd be more successful.

50 pounds in 6 months is less than ten pounds a month, which comes out to about 1.something pounds per week. That sounds reasonable.

Have you set up your profile in MFP yet? I would set the first several pounds to lose at 2.0 per week, but as you get closer to your goal you will want to set it to lose less. For example, I had 33 pounds to lose but I now have only ten. The first 15 or so pounds I love at a rate of 2 pounds per week. The next eight or so pounds, I set my goals to lose at about 1 pound per week. Now I have my goals set to lose the last ten pounds at .5 per week. I did this because (1) that is what was recommended to me by same sages here at MFP, who I figure know what they are talking about and (2) the change from losing weight to maintaining will not be so big. Anything you do in small steps tends to have longer lasting results, in my opinion.

I encourage you to start now, get your profile all set up, and make those healthy lifestyle changes. There is plenty of support here as well.

Oh, edited to add: for the gluten issues you need to speak with your doctor. Gluten intolerance can lead to some big problems.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Hey, Amanda -- I agree with everyone else - don't focus on the number or a specific "size" you're trying to get into! You may just wind up disappointing yourself. That being said, I'm down a little over 17 lbs and I haven't quite finished my first month, yet...still have a few days to go. I'm thinking I'm going to be at 20 lbs lost or very, very, close.
  • Kittylu
    Kittylu Posts: 19
    Options
    I absolutely think you can do it at your age! I know at my age, I can't seem to lose at all. I personally feel if you eat veggies, protein and good carbs, you can do it. Allowing yourself to eat junk, may trigger a binge. Tracking is the best learning tool. That's why I love MFP. Oh, and don't forget to drink lots of water. I have heard diet drinks may cause a sugar craving. You can do it. Good luck.
  • mloumason
    mloumason Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    set your profile stick within your calories try to have lots of food with low calories vs little food high calories if you must have things that arent very healthy pie cake fried food then just make sure you keep it within your calories you can meet your goal if you do this and even add in some exercise. It seems that everyone has given you some decent advice.
  • rhinesca
    rhinesca Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Amanda,

One tip I have is keep it simple eat lots of veggies and break your meals into 5 smaller meals. Try to eat nature made foods your body digest them a lot easier. Good luck your journey!!
  • joannbrunton
    joannbrunton Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Amanda, I believe you can do it and if you send me a friend request I look forward to cheering you on and watching your progress.
  • xoxolivia_
    Options
    It is possible but will take hard work. The first 15-20 pounds will be very easy to take off... its better to not have a specific date in your mind because then you will be disappointed if you don't reach it trust me. Someone I know lost 66lbs in about three months I believe it was, with a 1600 calorie diet and working out 2hrs everyday at the gym
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I've almost done that, but not quite 50 pounds yet. I definitely think it's possible. However, I do not have an "x pounds by y date" goal. I think making those sets people up for frustration and yo-yo dieting. What about making a goal to be slimmer by your goal date instead of using a specific number?
This discussion has been closed.