Discipline

Options
I am a medical student, a soldier, a former college athlete. Exercise and healthy eating have always been important to me, probably due to the combination of having a super-fit soldier dad as a role model and an overweight mom as his foil.

Seven months ago, after taking boards and starting my third year of medical school, where I moved out of the classroom and onto the wards-- essentially losing all control over my schedule-- I fell off the wagon. I began to eat what was convenient instead of what was healthy. I ate whenever I had time to sit and breathe-- which was sometimes at intervals of twelve hours--regardless of whether or not I was hungry. I began choosing sleep over exercise, in the end getting too little of each. My life was thrown out of balance in many dimensions-- diet, exercise, time with friends, sleep, my relationship. I began to accept mediocrity for the first time in my life, and the scariest moment was when I realized that acceptance was spilling over into my attitude towards my studies and my career.

I'm here because I'm done with whining and feeling sorry for myself. I hear myself complaining all the time, and I hate that I have become that person. It's not even that I've gained a pile of weight or have become super out of shape. There's a lot more to healthy living than the number on a scale. I've come to realize I am at my happiest when I'm well-fed, well-rested, well-socialized, and active. It's not possible to be all of these things all the time-- today's world demands a lot of us-- but this is my attempt to get back on track, to adjust my attitude, and to reclaim my discipline.

Replies

• ccman48
    ccman48 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I liked reading this and believe we need to wake up and pay attention. Not paying attention got us here. What's possible exists only in your mind. "If you think you can or you think you can't-- you're right"- Henry Ford We can do ALL we think we can. Its up to us not the world. Imo.
  • EdwardNortonFan43
    EdwardNortonFan43 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am a medical student, a soldier, a former college athlete. Exercise and healthy eating have always been important to me, probably due to the combination of having a super-fit soldier dad as a role model and an overweight mom as his foil.

Seven months ago, after taking boards and starting my third year of medical school, where I moved out of the classroom and onto the wards-- essentially losing all control over my schedule-- I fell off the wagon. I began to eat what was convenient instead of what was healthy. I ate whenever I had time to sit and breathe-- which was sometimes at intervals of twelve hours--regardless of whether or not I was hungry. I began choosing sleep over exercise, in the end getting too little of each. My life was thrown out of balance in many dimensions-- diet, exercise, time with friends, sleep, my relationship. I began to accept mediocrity for the first time in my life, and the scariest moment was when I realized that acceptance was spilling over into my attitude towards my studies and my career.

I'm here because I'm done with whining and feeling sorry for myself. I hear myself complaining all the time, and I hate that I have become that person. It's not even that I've gained a pile of weight or have become super out of shape. There's a lot more to healthy living than the number on a scale. I've come to realize I am at my happiest when I'm well-fed, well-rested, well-socialized, and active. It's not possible to be all of these things all the time-- today's world demands a lot of us-- but this is my attempt to get back on track, to adjust my attitude, and to reclaim my discipline.

Sounds like you've got it all figured out.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    A Med Student with time for "This"...I suggest that you take some Nutrition Classes as electives and if at all possible get into Natropathic Medicine. I believe that Integrative Medicine is the upcoming thing. Allopathic Medicine is not about prevention or healing, and Natropathic can not do the "carpentry" and "plumbing" type work that Allopathy is good for.

Don't go on a 'diet', CHOOSE a diet, preferably animal free, then you won't have to think too much about not eating right.