Burn less calories as fitness improves?

Options
Hi all.

I've had my heart rate monitor about a month. I've been doing classes for about 2/3 months. I built up from one class a week (I had done none for years, so didn't want to put myself off). I am now on 4/5 per week. This last week my body seems to have 'got it' and I'm finding some of the things I really struggled with (like push ups) much easier. I have also noticed though that the amount of calories I'm burning in the classes is going down, even though I feel like I'm working out just as hard.
Is this just that my body has got used to that level so I need to push myself more now?

Thanks. :D

Replies

• Domane1963
    Domane1963 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Nope, unfortunately it is an inevitable part of gaining fitness, I'm afraid. The more efficient the body becomes at doing something, the less calories it needs to do so. The only way to up your calories is either to work harder, work longer or mix things up and throw in something new. Or a combination of all three ;o)
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I experienced the same thing, but only up to a point.

Now though, I need more calories to maintain my weight than I did when I was 50lbs heavier.
  • WhyDelilah79
    WhyDelilah79 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Cool, well at least I know I'm actually getting fitter and not just imagining it. Yay. :-)
  • millionairesstv
    millionairesstv Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    good for you girl your getting fitter well done keep up the good workxx