Hypoglycemia does anyone else have this?

Options
I just found out I could have Hypoglycemia, and I want to use a meal plan for that to see if my symptoms get better. So far all I have read is complex carbs need to be at least 50% of my diet. What is a complex carb? I don't want a definition I want a noun like "apple" is an apple a complex carb? It gets confusing with all the ads on google I never did get an answer. So, do any of you have this and if you do what do you eat? I'm not asking for medical advice I just want to know what foods you like to include in your meal plan.

Replies

• tyleeloo28
    Options
    Yes, I am quite hypoglycemic. Complex carbs are carbs that aren't heavily processed, like whole wheat breads, potatoe's, and other vegetables and fruits. Usually I eat about 1200 calories (or I try to, recently I've been eating much over that) but when I was dieting I was eating about 1200 calories, most of my food's being carbs like oatmeal, bagels, granola, potatoe's, rice, and things like that. I also found that meat kept me very full and energized, but of course, meat is quite full of calories. I also had it that if I didnt eat enough, I would severely shake after a heavy workout. Have you ever experienced this? I also got very dizzy and felt like collapsing. Its been a while since I've had this, since I have been eating a little more recently, but it was quite an issue when I tried to lose weight. All the best!
  • bluesmaven1
    Options
    I haven't had the shaking after a workout but just the nauseous hunger most often in the mornings. I finally bought a book and it said exercise helps you gain insulin sensitivity which results in lower blood insulin levels. I don't know how this is going to work but it will be interesting I'm sure. Do you take snacks to the gym with you? I seriously need to lose weight and I have been but now incorporating all the extra eating times will have to pack on the calories so I'm a little worried about that. Thanks for replying!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Make sure to never have carbs alone. Even an apple, which has fiber, should be accompanied with something like peanut butter or cheese. So yeah "complex" carbs are usually referring to things that have more fiber. Simple carbs cause more blood sugar swings. It'll go high then drop really low. Eating fiber, proten or fat with your cabs limits these swings. I know when I was a kid my mom would give me life savers or something when my blood sugar got low but that's the absolute wrong thing. That only solves the problem temporarily.
  • bluesmaven1
    Options
    Thanks BusyLady406 I will remember that!
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Make sure to never have carbs alone. Even an apple, which has fiber, should be accompanied with something like peanut butter or cheese. So yeah "complex" carbs are usually referring to things that have more fiber. Simple carbs cause more blood sugar swings. It'll go high then drop really low. Eating fiber, proten or fat with your cabs limits these swings. I know when I was a kid my mom would give me life savers or something when my blood sugar got low but that's the absolute wrong thing. That only solves the problem temporarily.

This...I'm hypoglycemic too, and my doctor told me never to have carbs without including some sort of protein to balance it out and keep blood sugar levels steady. You're better off eating less carbs and more protein and good fats, and try to keep to a minimum refined carbs like things made with white flour.
  • Elpaw4mbv
    Elpaw4mbv Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yes. I've had it for most of my life - seems to run in my family. My rule of thumb for carbs is to be careful of anything processed (think white sugar, flour, etc.) If I haven't been eating regularly (3 meals a day plus at least 1 snack, or 6 small meals a day) I will get shaking, nauseous, irritable, and then disoriented.

If I have to eat some simple carbs to head off a blood sugar attack - I always try to eat a protein with it (cheese and crackers, or lunch meat and crackers, or a Tbsp of peanut butter.) Candy is always a very last resort and if I don't eat something substantial I get really sick.

I typically keep Glenny's peanut butter bars or the Cherry Almond fruit and nut bars in my car and briefcase in case of emergencies.
  • bluesmaven1
    Options
    I like the idea of eating more protein because most of today I have been hungry though it's 1:30p.m. and I have had 3 meals so far. What do y'all suggest to eat with carrots? Thanks so much, y'all have been so helpful!
  • bluesmaven1
    Options
    Found out I don't have Hypoglycemia it was the iodine I was taking that interacted with the thyroid supplement I take. I didn't think either one was really working
  • Minks_esposa
    Options
    I've had hypoglycemia since I was young. Carbs are something that I HAVE to eat. When I've tried low carb in the past I would feel so sick (lethargic, dizzy, fatigue, insomia, anxious, depressed, sweaty, blurred vision, etc.). I've almost fainted on several occasions because I went to long without eating. The thing that I've noticed is that I need a diet of at least 100g of carbs minimum. When my blood sugar is super low and I need to get it up quick then I go for a simple carb and that can be M&M's. The simple carbs mixed with the nuts tends to stabilize my blood sugar if it crashes. I'm pretty good at keeping my blood sugar in the normal range but sometimes like all humans you forget to eat or the balance of carbs and protein. My advice is to always have something in your purse (sorry not sure if you're a female) or car that has carbs like a cereal bar.

NEVER MIND: I decided to reply before reading all the comments and just now noticed that you don't have hypoglycemia. Be very thankful that you don't because it sucks so bad.
  • bluesmaven1
    Options
    Yep I'm female. Thanks for your reply, I am very glad I don't have it. Just having low blood sugar for the time I did was awful!