New to exercise. Need a bit of advice.

Options
I'm almost to my goal weight and I've noticed that my thighs, butt, and belly aren't what I was hoping for at this weight. I have not been exercising throughout my lifestyle change, but I am pretty active with 3 kids, 5 college courses and a job.

I'd like to inch my way into exercise. Looking for something to help tone up those areas without being too strenuous or too time consuming. I need to find something I can squeeze into my busy day now and then build from there in the future (less than a year left of school and will be significantly less busy when I graduate).

Running? Jogging? Squats? Cardio or muscle building? I'm not sure where I should start. Ideally, I'd like to do a 15-20 min routine that has a lot of bang for your buck.

Hoping to get advice from someone who has been there. I realize exercise is important and I won't see the results I want unless I do more. Any advice is appreciated. Also, please be kind. I know I'm not perfect, but I've come along way and am making progress!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Short bursts of exercises work well. Plan on doing both strength training and cardio. For cardio, pick any vigorous activity that gets your heart rate up, like cycling, dancing, sports, exercise videos, etc. Running is effective, but the injury rate with new runners is kind of high, so if you get any unusual pains, stop - don't work through it. There are lots of websites with tips for new runners.
    For strength training, i would do a full-body workout every 2-3 days. Follow a good program, like New Rules of Lifting for Women.
    Keep in mind we can't target fat loss. You can lose fat, you just can't chose where it comes off.
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Best bang for your buck is lifting heavy things.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Short bursts of weight training! Try a quickie from HASfit.com.

http://hasfit.com/workouts/home/easy-beginner/
  • drift
    drift Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Jillian michaels 30 day shred DVD really worked for me
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Strength/resistance training and some HIIT will do it!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    compound lifts - squats, deadlifts, overhead press, chin up/pull up, rows, etc..

New rules of lifting for woman is a good read, or so the ladies on my friends list keep saying..

I would say once you familiarize yourself with them go for a three day a week total body workout where you hit arms/legs/back/shoulders and then maybe mix in some cardio twice a week...
  • MelanieRS
    Options
    Thank you so much! I'm going to google New rules of lifting for women now! Also, thanks for letting me know I should be doing both cardio and strenth training. Can I do cardio, skip a day, lifting, skip a day, etc. Or should it be more than every other day to start out?
  • MelanieRS
    Options
    You answered my question! Thanks! I responded before I saw all of the posts. I really appreciate the info!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i'm gonna give you some honest advice. while it's nice that you've realized that exercise will help you look better at goal weight and doing something is better than nothing, if you want any amount of visible results you're going to have to up your level of commitment.

you don't want your exercise to be strenuous or time consuming and you want to fit it into approx the same amount of time my local station devotes to the weather on the 11pm news. only on late night infomercials does it work that way. while you don't have to become a gym rat that spends 2 hours a day, 6 days a week at the gym, you're probably going to need 40-60 mins of moderate to strenuous exercise 3-4 times per week if you'd like to get results that you can see.

Making changes requires both time and effort.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    U6d7Emo.gif

Solid advice concerning time.
    ETA:1440 mins in a day, so 30-60 mins is not a big ask for a better life.
    I have friends who are both studying and holding down three jobs and still able to fit in time for exercise, because they make time.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you bought some heavy dumbbells you could take those when you go places and plan to find spots wherever you are to use them. I think the above poster has a good point that you will have to carve out the time to do workouts.

When you are reading for your classes courses anyways, you could be on the treadmill or stationary bike doing that. There goes your cardio. Now you only have to find the time to dedicate to your strentgh training. I think with some careful attention to your schedule focusing a lot on where you shave off commute minutes by eating wherever you happen to be and combining tasks that can happen at the same time you might find ways to get a workout in.

Fond Childhood memories in 3.......2..........1....
    When I was a girl my mother would drop me and my much younger sister off at dance classes. While sis did her tap or ballet I did homework at the back of the room where the mom's sit to watch their girls. In between her class and mine I worked with her on her homework right there. When it was time for my class little sis had free play with another classmates kid sister who's mom was waiting for her during my class where I could still see her. This gave my mom the time to go attend an exercise class of her own. I was a fairly responsible and organized girl so it may not work with every kid but I certainly know we had the support of the dance teacher and the other mom's so it worked out. All this was happening 3 evenings a week after full days of school and working for all of us. It can be done but you have to prioritize, eat conveniently and you will get a groove that works for you and your needs. It can be done. By the time I was dating in high school my mom was so hot I was embarrassed when my first boyfriends jaw dropped upon seeing her and hearing him exclaim..."THAT's your mom!" :noway:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i'm gonna give you some honest advice. while it's nice that you've realized that exercise will help you look better at goal weight and doing something is better than nothing, if you want any amount of visible results you're going to have to up your level of commitment.

you don't want your exercise to be strenuous or time consuming and you want to fit it into approx the same amount of time my local station devotes to the weather on the 11pm news. only on late night infomercials does it work that way. while you don't have to become a gym rat that spends 2 hours a day, 6 days a week at the gym, you're probably going to need 40-60 mins of moderate to strenuous exercise 3-4 times per week if you'd like to get results that you can see.

100% agreed, but i'll add that in the beginning, even just a few minutes can wipe you out.

try this for a beginner body weight work out: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • MelanieRS
    Options
    While I agree with what you said about commitment I do have to say that time isn't something I have. I have 3 kids: 9, 8, and 3 (one of which requires weekly doctor apts and pharmacy visits), I have 5 classes that total about 20-25 hours per week between class and homework (also a 4.0 GPA to maintain and a 45 min drive to and from work/school each day 5 days a week), I have a job that totals 20 hours a week, I have a home to tend to, laundry to do, dinner to cook, dishes to wash, bills to pay, and all of the normal activities that 3 kids come with. I have no problem with commiting to anything. What I have a problem with is time. I do not have the resources to make time for EVERYTHING that I need to do. I do the most important things and squeeze in the lesser important as I have time. I can't slack on school, work, or kids so I lined up what MY priorities were and went from there. Which is why I was asking about 15-20 min routines. I'm not trying to be rude, but this is why I've haven't posted on these forums in years. Everyone is so quick to judge. I'm not trying to work miracles and lose weight by sitting on the couch and eating chips. I'm making steps in the right direction. I never said I wanted a buff bod with 15-20 min routines, just that I'd like to start there and build on it as I can. It's taken me close to 3 years to lose this much weight so I assume I'm not going to see overnight results. Thank you all for your input.

*Also, I'd like to add that I'm not sure why I have to include my particular circumstances in a post. If you don't have advice that the post is asking for then why comment? Everyone is different and everyone has different routines that work for them. Saying I can definitely commit 15-20 min a day and then hearing people say, "You need to do more," is discouraging to me. I guess people think that if I can't commit to what they feel is the right amount of time, then I should commit at all? And also, maybe people who work 3 jobs and go to school who can also find the time to fit in a lengthy exercise plan have help. Or maybe they don't value family time and family commitments. If you'd like to come over and babysit while I go to the gym, or do the kids homework while I walk around the block, or take my son to the allergist each week for his shots so I can get in a few extra min of a workout, then by all means give me a call and I'll take ya up on that. I thought this website was for support.
  • MelanieRS
    Options
    Maybe if you bought some heavy dumbbells you could take those when you go places and plan to find spots wherever you are to use them. I think the above poster has a good point that you will have to carve out the time to do workouts.

When you are reading for your classes courses anyways, you could be on the treadmill or stationary bike doing that. There goes your cardio. Now you only have to find the time to dedicate to your strentgh training. I think with some careful attention to your schedule focusing a lot on where you shave off commute minutes by eating wherever you happen to be and combining tasks that can happen at the same time you might find ways to get a workout in.

Fond Childhood memories in 3.......2..........1....
    When I was a girl my mother would drop me and my much younger sister off at dance classes. While sis did her tap or ballet I did homework at the back of the room where the mom's sit to watch their girls. In between her class and mine I worked with her on her homework right there. When it was time for my class little sis had free play with another classmates kid sister who's mom was waiting for her during my class where I could still see her. This gave my mom the time to go attend an exercise class of her own. I was a fairly responsible and organized girl so it may not work with every kid but I certainly know we had the support of the dance teacher and the other mom's so it worked out. All this was happening 3 evenings a week after full days of school and working for all of us. It can be done but you have to prioritize, eat conveniently and you will get a groove that works for you and your needs. It can be done. By the time I was dating in high school my mom was so hot I was embarrassed when my first boyfriends jaw dropped upon seeing her and hearing him exclaim..."THAT's your mom!" :noway:

Thank you for the advice! I enjoyed your story. I know it can be done and I will work up to it. I'm not sure that particular routine would work for mine (the youngest is a HANDFUL) but it does give me a few ideas. I appreciate it!
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

This. Instead of trying to fit in 15 minutes every day, find a way to do 30-45 minutes 3 days out of 7. You'll get much better results. Also, while cardio is great for building up endurance and cardiovascular health, if your primary concern is your physical appearance, start with just strength training and you can add cardio in as you get comfortable with making time for exercise. New Rules is a great beginner lifting program and it only takes 30 minutes or so for Stage 1 workouts, which are the first few months of the program.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    15-20 minute sessions are perfect. And if you do 2 or 3 short cardio sessions a day, it's equal to or better than combining them into a single sessions, according to studies. But even a single 15-20 minute session can be very effective, if it's vigorous. Google "HIIT".
    Strength training only needs to take 30-40 minutes, and it too can be split into 2 sessions in a day.
    There are many ways to get in shape, so find your own path! Keep us posted how it goes..
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Running? Jogging? Squats? Cardio or muscle building? I'm not sure where I should start. Ideally, I'd like to do a 15-20 min routine that has a lot of bang for your buck.

Going to be honest, "15-20 minutes" will really limit the rate at which you see improvement. If you can find 45 minutes a day, you can do a full StrongLifts 3x a week and a C25K or C210K 3x a week. That would result in significant and rapid improvements, both internally and visibly.

The idea that a couple of 15 minute "HIIT" sessions a week are going to make a big improvement for you is pure marketing fluff.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    compound lifts - squats, deadlifts, overhead press, chin up/pull up, rows, etc..

New rules of lifting for woman is a good read, or so the ladies on my friends list keep saying..

I would say once you familiarize yourself with them go for a three day a week total body workout where you hit arms/legs/back/shoulders and then maybe mix in some cardio twice a week...

times one million
  • amiedwards906
    amiedwards906 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am super new to this but, I also have a full time job, and numerous family commitments, including a toddler son. I'm not really qualified to advise anyone at this point but, I can tell you what I'm doing. I work 8 hours a day (not including overtime), so, my schedule may be different from yours but, I will get to work about 15 minutes early whenever possible and walk 10 minutes at a moderate to brisk pace. Then I get two 15 minute breaks in which I walk 10 minutes each and a 30 minute break that I will walk 20-25 minutes. So, at the end of the day I have walked 40-55 minutes that day. I will also take a step stool and do steps for a couple minutes at a time during slow days (usually 2 days a week). I will do about 10-15 total of those throughout the day. Often times I will drag my family out to the walking path in our area on my days off for some family time and we will walk 45-60 minutes and have a ball! I also have a great "game" where I will chase the baby around the living room, he has so much fun and I get a pretty decent work out. Recently, my husband and I have started doing a 30-45 minute routine at night about an hour before we go to bed (although, that may keep some people up), some days we do strenth exercises that I've researched online (arms, legs and core) and other days we do Tae bo or Zumba (today, we are going to try tai chi :happy: ). The key I've found is to include your family in your journey and to take advantage of those dull, boring times by filling them with movement. Good Luck! You're doing great!
  • MelanieRS
    Options
    I am super new to this but, I also have a full time job, and numerous family commitments, including a toddler son. I'm not really qualified to advise anyone at this point but, I can tell you what I'm doing. I work 8 hours a day (not including overtime), so, my schedule may be different from yours but, I will get to work about 15 minutes early whenever possible and walk 10 minutes at a moderate to brisk pace. Then I get two 15 minute breaks in which I walk 10 minutes each and a 30 minute break that I will walk 20-25 minutes. So, at the end of the day I have walked 40-55 minutes that day. I will also take a step stool and do steps for a couple minutes at a time during slow days (usually 2 days a week). I will do about 10-15 total of those throughout the day. Often times I will drag my family out to the walking path in our area on my days off for some family time and we will walk 45-60 minutes and have a ball! I also have a great "game" where I will chase the baby around the living room, he has so much fun and I get a pretty decent work out. Recently, my husband and I have started doing a 30-45 minute routine at night about an hour before we go to bed (although, that may keep some people up), some days we do strenth exercises that I've researched online (arms, legs and core) and other days we do Tae bo or Zumba (today, we are going to try tai chi :happy: ). The key I've found is to include your family in your journey and to take advantage of those dull, boring times by filling them with movement. Good Luck! You're doing great!

Thanks for your response! I do include my family as much as I can. Almost every weekend we go on a 2ish hour hike. It's not a forge your way through weeds with your machete type hike, more of a walking along a trail (lots of the time it's a steep trail, too!)type of deal, but it's something we all love to do and we do it as often as possible. I try to walk as much as I can as well. I always park in a farther spot and always take the stairs instead of an elevator. Small things I know, but better than nothing. I wish I could do some things during the work day but I only have one day where I get a break and that is almost all taken up with eating lunch. I'm a tutor, so doing stair stepping at work would probably be frowned upon lol, but I bet I can squeeze that into my home routine when I'm already up cleaning, straightening, etc. Was just wanting to add something small, that I know I can handle, on top of what I'm already doing to improve my health and speed up my results. I think everyone on here mistakes what I'm saying to "what can I do to see immediate, significant results." I'm just trying to add a little more as I go. I didn't start my lifestyle change all at once and cold turkey. I eased into. Actually, my whole family has eased into it. My husband is in very good shape and didn't want to change his eating habits at first but now I notice he also makes better decisions about the food he eats. What we've been doing has been working for us so far but there is still room for improvements. Just trying to do as much as I can with the time I have to maximize it all. Thank you so much for the advice. Good luck to you, too! I'm sure you can do it!