Help !! Losing Muscle along with Fat !!!

Options
13»

Replies

• DiamondL88
    Options
    I don't know how fast and easily you want to lose weight but I can assure you that
    with discipline,commitment and dedication, you can lose weight and achieve the
    desired body size you want.

Here are 4 factors that contribute to overweight
    1. too much fatty foods
    2. too much carbohydrate/sugary foods
    3. lack of exercise
    4. over eating

If you are able to eliminate all these factors from your life, I bet you will be able
    to lose weight quickly than you can ever imagined.

If you think due to one or two reasons you can eliminate these factors, then I will advise
    you to try weight loss supplements such as the fat burners and appetite suppressants. They
    will help you a lot in you quest to lose weight.

I hope you follow these tips and I wish you good luck. You can read more
    on how to lose weight http://goo.gl/IerPQr
  • vikramtag
    vikramtag Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Reduce the deficit, get your *kitten* under a barbell and stay away from treadmills.

i have been lifting heavy ..but i also cycle at 12 mph for 30 mins in the evenings 3-4 times a week..my problems is im unable to calculate calories im burning from my weight training ..
  • vikramtag
    Options
    you're a dude. eat twice as much as you are currently eating.

you can't dictate where your body will take energy from, and muscle is sometimes the easiest place for it to tap. however, if you eat enough, you can limit how much of that it does. protein shakes help.

I know I should be eating more. I never imagined a day will come when i thought i should eat more but yeah :P
    The frequency of meals is a problem for me. Because of college and other busy schedule I'm not able get in 5 meals a day
    and each meal i have is with portion control ..so that is how i end up not eating

just wanted to throw in you don't need 5 meals. eat two or three large ones. i eat two awesome large meals, usually 1000 - 1200 cals per. i am full and happy. works for me. 16/8 IF

Sounds do-able :) thank you !
  • vikramtag
    Options
    I don't think you need to take supplements to gain muscle, what you want to do is look at what you're eating. I can't see your diary so I don't know how much protein you're eating but to increase muscle mass you want to eat more lean protein. For as much as you're working out and your height/weight, 1200 calories is not enough, unless you are eating back your exercise calories and even then it's a pretty low number. Contrary to what others posted on here, it is possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, you won't gain/lose it at the same rate but it is possible because as you're building muscle, that in turn will burn more fat.

Your body needs fuel to rebuild so you'll need to make sure you're eating enough. Also, like others say, rest days are important. If you overtrain and don't have enough rest days, your body will hold on to more water and fat. A couple ways you can tell that you're over training is if you're tired easily, feeling really bloated, cannot sleep, etc. That's when you want to cut back a little until your body can readjust.

Here's my suggestion, increase your calorie intake to 1800 - 2000, eat back about 1/2 of your exercise calories burned. As far as what you're eating, make sure you eat a lot of lean protein and fruits and veggies. I drink protein shakes and eat protein bars for added protein, you do have to be careful of what kind of protein bars because a lot of them are full of sugar. The best ones on the market right now are the Quest bars, they can be kind of spendy but net carbs is very low and it's not full of sugar. Drink a lot of water so that your body can process and eliminate the toxins from foods that you eat and cleanse it. It's suggested that you drink half your body weight in ounces of water each day so if you weigh 185 you should aim for at least 92.5 ounces or 10-12 cups of water a day.. I'm not a big fan of supplements and stuff and I don't believe you need to take them in order to build muscle. Remember that the changes will take a few weeks to be noticeable so be patient.

Thank you ! My water intake is way more than what you have suggested. It so hard to eat so many calories from good food..lol aint that true ? :) I think I can manage that
  • rosyketh
    Options
    Hi Vikram,

In general i do agree that you need to balance your workout and diet, in order to prevent excessive muscle loss while burning your body fat. Personally i don't take a lot of supplement, as i prefer to let my body be built naturally. I have came across this very popular trainer that recommend an unconventional way of building your muscle mass and burn body fat, you can see it here:

http://getleanmuscle.com/

All the best :smooched:
  • JMaxwell52
    Options
    Supplements aren't really needed if you keep a balanced diet. Since you're trying to build muscle, make sure you get protein in your diet. Muscle building takes place during your rest days. When you lift weights, you are essentially tearing muscle tissue. During the healing process on the rest days, your body will repair and build up your muscles.
  • mariawilliamsme
    Options
    My brother have the same problem before what he did is he just added a lot of protein on his diet and continue to lift weights and then gradually have recovered all the muscle loss that he had before.
  • barttles
    Options
    There are foods that you should eat and at certain times. Due to to fact that every one is different you technically should be working out and eating to your body type
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Buy a BCAA supplement. A google search will tell you why this will keep your muscles strong if you are on a calorie deficit diet.

Thanks for the suggestion ! But i had decided not to use anything except natural foods. I'll give it a thought though

BCAAs are branched chain amino acids. If you don't want to take a supplement and you think they'd be a good idea, there are plenty of foods rich in them - cottage cheese, fish, etc.