I am sick of feeling disgusting and I need help with a plan.

Options
I have always thought being bigger was beautiful and for some people it is. However, now that I'm gaining weight at uncontrollable amounts I don't feel beautiful at all anymore... In the past 4 years I've gained 70-80 pounds and I truly feel disgusting. I look in the mirror and hate what I see, I look at other people and ask myself why I can't be perfect like them. I've finally decided to stop complaining about it and get up and do something about it!

I don't have a specific plan and that's why I am here. I NEED YOUR GUYS HELP!!!!! I am sick of my weight holding me back I am heavier but I am still able to be moderately physically active. My goal is to lose 100 pounds and keep it off! Please give me some good workout and dieting advice. I need support and encouragement!

Replies

• GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    No advice for you really as I am never able to follow it myself but best of luck! :)
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give you is to use the search feature on here. Search TDEE, BMR, IPOARM, and join the group " eat, train, progress".
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to find a physical activity that you enjoy: walking, jogging, dancing, weight lifting, etc. and to change your diet to a healthy, portion-controlled one. I love being active, so portion control was the hardest part for me. It doesn't happen all at once. Baby steps:)
  • Ookala
    Ookala Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Check in here everyday. Record your food and exercise. It does work .
    Friend some of us.
  • snsmyth
    snsmyth Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Nobody is perfect. Skinny isn't perfect. Muscular isn't perfect. Eat real food, not processed junk. Find activities and exercise that you actually like to do, sweat, and have fun. Think of it as being kind to your body, not hating it.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give you is to use the search feature on here. Search TDEE, BMR, IPOARM, and join the group " eat, train, progress".
    Yes! That and this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    If you send me a Friend Request you can read my wall. There are lots of links there I have found useful. One in particular is kind of a synopsis of summarizing all the most important or confusing terms on this site. That one will probably help you the most. Also the advice given by the man telling you to check out the ETP group is solid.
  • swissbrit
    swissbrit Posts: 201
    Options
    I started by just walking an hour a day and counting calories its suprising to see how much is in a portion of what you are eating at present :-( but it makes you see what and where you are eating too much (make sure you weigh things until you get a better idea of portions and what they contain) and also look at www.hasfit.com there is a great 30 day starters program for exercising at home! I had my settings at sedentary but ate back half of the cals I earned as MFP seems very high.
    Good luck and add me if you want I log everyday and my diary is open even though I eat weird lol
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    step 1~ look in the mirror and see the beautiful women in the profile pic
    step 2~ stop comparing yourself to the perfect people! there are none
    step 3 ~ develope a plan~set your cal/macro goals and start logging your food ~ honestly and accurately
    step 4~ decide on some form of exercise program to start you off ~walking, treadmill, videos, weights~ just pick one
    step 5~ start!

step 6~ add me for support and encouragement~this step is the only optional one :)

best of luck dear! You CAN do this :)
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Options

This :) Good Luck
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    ^ It's not so easy to walk an hour when you're 100 pounds overweight. Girl just walk start slowly do what you can just walk. And log everything you put in your mouth. Good luck.
  • RachaelStJ
    RachaelStJ Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm sending a friend request your way so that we can encourage each other on our journey!

As mentioned above, by several others, you are beautiful and NOBODY is perfect.

My best advice, what I think works for me based on my last failed attempt, is to not start a drastic change immediately. Start by limiting sweets and choosing healthier options for food, and doing something physical 3x week. Once they become habits, add something more!

However, maybe for you it is best to just start "cold turkey" and give it your all right away. I have a PT test at the end of this month, but once I pass that, I plan on starting New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's supposed to be an awesome book. There are lots of AMAZING workout plans on BodyBuilding.com. Jamie Eason's Fit for Life is perfect for beginners and you can tailor it to suit your needs. And if you would prefer to work out at home, Jillian Michael's has some insanely effective 30 minute workouts!

Just remember that we didn't put on our weight overnight, it won't come off that easily! Sending you a friend request.

Rach
  • dwbrownsr
    dwbrownsr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been using the HMR at Home program with my doctor's approval and have lost 20 pounds in the first three weeks, I do not feel hungry and the success of the program makes it very easy to maintain the motivation to 'stick' to it. This week I have started riding my bike again which just breeds more success.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Start with looking at what you are eating and how frequently. You know what is bad for you, and the quantity that you consume. What I like about this is that nothing is off limits, you just have to account for it and adjust your food intake accordingly. Put what you are going to eat in the app, not after you eat it. It amazes me how many calories are in these "Lite" salads in restaurants. No bacon, cheese or house dressing can take a 1000 calorie salad and make it a 300 calorie salad with tons of protein. Make and bring your own dressing if necessary. If you are mildly active, you get more calories for that. Want to have a Cheat Day, do it on a day you clean your house. You get tons of extra calories for all that work. I spent one day doing a lot of work around the house. I am on 1460 calories a day. By the time I added what I did, ate pretty hardy that day, I ended up with 1592 calories left at the end of the day.

Admitting to yourself that you need to do something is one of the biggest hurdles. You jumped that one, now run for the second one. Adjust and track you food and beverage intake. Good Luck!

P.S. Tracking week ends today. New week starts tomorrow. Fresh Week, Fresh Start.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    You have a good start by joining MFP.

First, you are not disgusting, you may be disgusted with where you are right now but it is never too late for change.

Start slow, realize that change comes to us when we are really ready for it and remember any change in eating and activity will eventually result in positive change. Be honest with yourself, log everything you put in your mouth and if you fall off course take it as a learning experience.

I started with a gym membership and then a change in my eating, I have only dieted for 10 days a few months ago and it just did not work for me. I have always told people that I am not on a diet, my eating is what I call real life eating but with accountability, but it takes time. The best thing I bought was a food scale, learning to eat portions is I think one of the most important things I have learned during this journey.

Also, read the discussion boards, they can be really helpful.

Good luck, and welcome!
  • Jericha1992
    Jericha1992 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    For me, it's honestly as simple as listening to My Fitness Pal's net calorie goal for my height, weight, gender, and lifestyle.

I (almost always) log accurately and honestly. I measure my food.

Beyond that, I try to exercise at least 5 days a week. This helps because a) I'm getting healthier and b) I eat back my exercise calories, so I don't feel quite so deprived.

For example, my net calorie goal is 1240/day. but if I get in an awesome exercise (815 calories, for example), it means I can eat 2055 calories that day. If you're not as keen right away on exercise, then you'll lose weight just as effectively staying under your MFP calorie goals.

That's the best advice I can give.

I also have 100 pounds to lose, so feel free to add me! We can motivate each other! :)
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Eat less, burn more.

If that is now showing a reduction, then eat even less and burn even more.

I am a gadget freak, I use a fitbit to show me how little I walk, I use a heart rate monitor to track my exercise.

I track everything I eat, fanatically.

I never, ever cheat.

I eat less than I burn, I lose a little weight.

Simple as that really..
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I love the fact that you know you need a plan! I've seen lots of folks jump on the weight loss train and give up after a week (me included) without a plan.

You'll need a calorie deficit (meal plan) every day and, preferably, an activity plan. No, exercise isn't a requirement of weight loss, but it sure is good for your body and you'll lose weight faster. Moderation in both plans is, IMO, a good thing. "Diets" didn't work for me because I felt deprived, so I stopped calling this a diet and stopped using "diet" products after the first week. Now, I just focus on meeting my macros and limiting my calories every day to 1200-1400, depending on how much I exercise (I eat back a portion of my exercise calories). Measure/weight everything you eat. Everything. Log it. Every bite.

There are lots of successful folks here who have lost and maintained their weight because they've been able to make this a lifestyle change (in lieu of "dieting"). I think that's key for all of us. One other thing - since you've gained a significant amount of weight in the last four years, you might want to check with your doctor to make sure there's no underlying hormonal issue (thyroid issues or insulin resistance).

Some people (including me) eat out of habit, so keep in mind that habit takes about 30 days to change and you might feel a bit uncomfortable at first as you develop new habits. That's okay. Just hang with it. Even when you lose your "motivation" to do the right thing. Motivation comes and goes for all of us - it's the commitment that helps us succeed. You can do this!