Too much sugar in grapes?

Options
Hello,

I apparently went over my sugar limit just by having two cups of grapes. Or, at least, according to MFP.

Does this sound right? I don't want to go over so much. Are grapes actually kind of a "bad" fruit? I'm trying to get back on track for losing weight.

Replies

• sillyli234
    sillyli234 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your dietary needs. For me, I have a family medical history of type 2 diabetes and hypothyroidism so I have to keep my fruit at 1 serving per day which makes grapes a terrible choice for me. Do you have any sugar issues? I'd suggest lowering the grape serving rather than getting rid of them all together.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The sugar target on MFP is really low, and eating any fruit at all will put you over it.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I apparently went over my sugar limit just by having two cups of grapes. Or, at least, according to MFP.

Does this sound right? I don't want to go over so much. Are grapes actually kind of a "bad" fruit? I'm trying to get back on track for losing weight.

Unless you are diabetic - don't worry about it.
    The sugar in whole fruit is metabolised differently than added sugar.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a specific medical reason to avoid fruit there is no reason to do so.
    For weightloss you can ignore the sugar settings on MFP and just focus on meeting your macros - fat and protein. Sugar is just a carb.

Grapes are pretty awesome in terms of micronutrients and are a low GI fruit, so even for diabetics they are a reasonable choice.

Oh ....http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=40
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Grapes have a lot more sugar than many fruits (15 vs 10% in an apple) only topped by bananas at 20%. The sugars are about 50/50 glucose and fructose with GI values ranging between 43-53.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1017237-so-what-s-with-this-sugar-then-faq covers the topic in general.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Hello,

kind regards,

Ben
    So, if I sprinkle sugar on strawberries how are the sugars metabolized differently.......you can be scientific if you want.......people need to know of this medical breakthrough.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    So, if I sprinkle sugar on strawberries how are the sugars metabolized differently.......you can be scientific if you want.......people need to know of this medical breakthrough.

They're referring to how fructose (fruit sugar) is metabolized slower than sucrose (table sugar). While that is true, all sugars have the same number of calories. Eating too much of any sugar is not good. In moderation (2 servings), it's fine, unless you have a medical reason to avoid it. The more active you are, the more sugar you can have without it affecting fat loss.
  • PBandJ_Panda
    Options
    Grapes are fruit!! So they are fine!:) Its natural sugar it is not like the sugar you'd put in coffee or tea or candy bars, so its OK:) I wouldn't eat 10 cups of grapes in a day haha but 2 is fine :)
  • osucristina30
    Options
    Eat less grapes! :) They are a high sugar fruit and if that bothers you, mix it up. I've got about 5-6 grapes with stawberries and kiwi today.
  • sophia9849
    Options
    Does this sound like a good recipe from a weight loss standpoint? I am worried about the natural sugar from the grapes. But then I think, how could all this natural fruit and vegetables ever be bad?
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Going over sugar is only a problem if you go over your total calories... which would be a problem for any macro if fat loss is your goal.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    red grapes are a low sugar fruit.. so are apples, oranges, peaches, plums, prickly pears and berries (i probably missed a few) I love them in my yogurt.. they add just the right amount of sweetness. It you eat 2 servings of fruit you're going to go over what MFP has set for you. If it bothers you increase the limit or remove that nutrient from your displayed tracking nutrients.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Hello,

kind regards,

Ben

It's not a breakthrough. Most people know that added sugars will generally be absorbed very quickly. Whereas sugars which are embedded within high fiber solid foods take more time b/c the food has to be digested.

Regardless almost every study ever done shows that fruit (all fruit, even grapes and bananas) is associated with all sorts of health benefits while not being associated with obesity. Whereas, almost every study ever done shows the exact opposite of added sugar. So avoid fruit at your own detriment.
  • paleojoe
    Options
    Hello,

kind regards,

Ben

It's not a breakthrough. Most people know that added sugars will generally be absorbed very quickly. Whereas sugars which are embedded within high fiber solid foods take more time b/c the food has to be digested.

Regardless almost every study ever done shows that fruit (all fruit, even grapes and bananas) is associated with all sorts of health benefits while not being associated with obesity. Whereas, almost every study ever done shows the exact opposite of added sugar. So avoid fruit at your own detriment.

Again, this is only an issue if you go over your TDEE. The only real issue with added, or "processed" sugar is that it is just easier to eat too much if it and go over your TDEE... so just make sure you don't.
  • ahamm002
    Options
    It would make no difference if it was sugar in grapes vs candy vs ice cream.

In theory, and assuming you're only worried about short term weight loss. But ice cream is a lot more dangerous than grapes. It's pretty hard to eat more than 300-400 calories of grapes in a single sitting, whereas I can polish off 1000 calories of ice cream without even realizing it.
    My thing with grapes is not the amount of sugar. I just don't like how few grapes you get for the calories. I'd rather have a pound of strawberries.

Strawberries are awesome! They're also a lot more expensive than grapes though.
  • ahamm002
    Options
    Again, this is only an issue if you go over your TDEE. The only real issue with added, or "processed" sugar is that it is just easier to eat too much if it and go over your TDEE... so just make sure you don't.

I have two issues with that statement. First, long term health isn't just about body composition. Fruit has lots of fiber, anti-oxidants, etc., that highly processed foods with added sugar lack. Second, while CICO may be king for weight loss, achieving your calorie intake goals is easier said than done for many people.
  • paleojoe
    Options

I have two issues with that statement. First, long term health isn't just about body composition. Fruit has lots of fiber, anti-oxidants, etc., that highly processed foods with added sugar lack. Second, while CICO may be king for weight loss, achieving your calorie intake goals is easier said than done for many people.

I agree with all you have stated... that said, none of it disputes anything I have stated.
  • paleojoe
    Options
    I honestly would like to see the studies where processed foods are actually responsible for all these long term health issues. Seems like a lot of speculation. Remember, in the 80's fat was responsible for all the long term health issues, now processed foods, what will it be next.

IMO, I think it's (pic your macro) the chronic overfed state that causes obesity and long term health issues.