New to exercise. Need a bit of advice.

Options
2»

Replies

• MelanieRS
    Options

Thanks for the link! This is definitely right up my alley. Especially the do-it-at-home routine!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    If you are very short on time, you might try an upper body - lower body split. That way you can do weight training on back-to-back days. And obviously working half the body is quicker than doing the full body workout.

I do about 30-35 minutes of lifting for each, but you can shave that back some and still be doing well compared to zero, of course :) Choose the big muscles and skip the smaller ones since you'll have to skip a bit. Like don't worry about calves, you know? Good luck!

edit: oh, and lift heavy with a low rep range. That's quicker than high reps anyway. I love that part ;) And it's quicker to do other body parts instead of really resting between sets. Do it circuit-style for the quickest bang for the buck.
  • lisal11
    lisal11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    While I agree with what you said about commitment I do have to say that time isn't something I have. I have 3 kids: 9, 8, and 3 (one of which requires weekly doctor apts and pharmacy visits), I have 5 classes that total about 20-25 hours per week between class and homework (also a 4.0 GPA to maintain and a 45 min drive to and from work/school each day 5 days a week), I have a job that totals 20 hours a week, I have a home to tend to, laundry to do, dinner to cook, dishes to wash, bills to pay, and all of the normal activities that 3 kids come with. I have no problem with commiting to anything. What I have a problem with is time. I do not have the resources to make time for EVERYTHING that I need to do. I do the most important things and squeeze in the lesser important as I have time. I can't slack on school, work, or kids so I lined up what MY priorities were and went from there. Which is why I was asking about 15-20 min routines. I'm not trying to be rude, but this is why I've haven't posted on these forums in years. Everyone is so quick to judge. I'm not trying to work miracles and lose weight by sitting on the couch and eating chips. I'm making steps in the right direction. I never said I wanted a buff bod with 15-20 min routines, just that I'd like to start there and build on it as I can. It's taken me close to 3 years to lose this much weight so I assume I'm not going to see overnight results. Thank you all for your input.

*Also, I'd like to add that I'm not sure why I have to include my particular circumstances in a post. If you don't have advice that the post is asking for then why comment? Everyone is different and everyone has different routines that work for them. Saying I can definitely commit 15-20 min a day and then hearing people say, "You need to do more," is discouraging to me. I guess people think that if I can't commit to what they feel is the right amount of time, then I should commit at all? And also, maybe people who work 3 jobs and go to school who can also find the time to fit in a lengthy exercise plan have help. Or maybe they don't value family time and family commitments. If you'd like to come over and babysit while I go to the gym, or do the kids homework while I walk around the block, or take my son to the allergist each week for his shots so I can get in a few extra min of a workout, then by all means give me a call and I'll take ya up on that. I thought this website was for support.
    I totally get it. I'm a super busy mom with two toddlers and had to find a place to cram in exercise. I'm not new to exercise but am "reintroducing" myself to it with a much crazier schedule. For me, it had to be painfully early in the morning before taking the kids. On the up side, even though it's quite early, it's done and I'm showered before my day begins.To date, it's been very hard to find videos as short as 15 - 20 minutes. The closest I've found is Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and Focus T25, each 25 minutes. Rodney Yee also has a DVD called 15 Minute Results Yoga. It's broken into upper body, lower body, abs, etc... I usually do two of them at a time.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    While I agree with what you said about commitment I do have to say that time isn't something I have. I have 3 kids: 9, 8, and 3 (one of which requires weekly doctor apts and pharmacy visits), I have 5 classes that total about 20-25 hours per week between class and homework (also a 4.0 GPA to maintain and a 45 min drive to and from work/school each day 5 days a week), I have a job that totals 20 hours a week, I have a home to tend to, laundry to do, dinner to cook, dishes to wash, bills to pay, and all of the normal activities that 3 kids come with. I have no problem with commiting to anything. What I have a problem with is time. I do not have the resources to make time for EVERYTHING that I need to do. I do the most important things and squeeze in the lesser important as I have time. I can't slack on school, work, or kids so I lined up what MY priorities were and went from there. Which is why I was asking about 15-20 min routines. I'm not trying to be rude, but this is why I've haven't posted on these forums in years. Everyone is so quick to judge. I'm not trying to work miracles and lose weight by sitting on the couch and eating chips. I'm making steps in the right direction. I never said I wanted a buff bod with 15-20 min routines, just that I'd like to start there and build on it as I can. It's taken me close to 3 years to lose this much weight so I assume I'm not going to see overnight results. Thank you all for your input.

*Also, I'd like to add that I'm not sure why I have to include my particular circumstances in a post. If you don't have advice that the post is asking for then why comment? Everyone is different and everyone has different routines that work for them. Saying I can definitely commit 15-20 min a day and then hearing people say, "You need to do more," is discouraging to me. I guess people think that if I can't commit to what they feel is the right amount of time, then I should commit at all? And also, maybe people who work 3 jobs and go to school who can also find the time to fit in a lengthy exercise plan have help. Or maybe they don't value family time and family commitments. If you'd like to come over and babysit while I go to the gym, or do the kids homework while I walk around the block, or take my son to the allergist each week for his shots so I can get in a few extra min of a workout, then by all means give me a call and I'll take ya up on that. I thought this website was for support.

You didn't have to include anything with your post because I certainly didn't ask you to prove how busy you are. I was simply trying to add a dose of reality to your expectations and if you find the truth to be discouraging, so be it. I guess I could just give you some attaboys and say "nice effort!" while patting you on the back but I'd rather point you in the direction where you can actually see results.

I guess I could lie to you and tell you that 10-15 mins of light effort would get you to your goals but 3-6 months from now when you don't see results you may become discouraged and give up. Then next year when you have more time instead of trying harder you might not bother because you don't think that exercise actually works. If only someone would have told you to temper your expectations......

Whatevs
  • aldybg
    aldybg Posts: 1
    Options
    Congrats Melanie! Exercise will change your life!! Have you ever heard of the workout program T25? Only take 25 minutes a day at home!
  • MelanieRS
    Options
    If you are very short on time, you might try an upper body - lower body split. That way you can do weight training on back-to-back days. And obviously working half the body is quicker than doing the full body workout.

I do about 30-35 minutes of lifting for each, but you can shave that back some and still be doing well compared to zero, of course :) Choose the big muscles and skip the smaller ones since you'll have to skip a bit. Like don't worry about calves, you know? Good luck!

edit: oh, and lift heavy with a low rep range. That's quicker than high reps anyway. I love that part ;) And it's quicker to do other body parts instead of really resting between sets. Do it circuit-style for the quickest bang for the buck.

Thanks for the reply! I've never lifted weights and since so many people have recommended I'm thinking that it's definitely the way to go. I have no clue as to what weight I can lift but it's great info to do heavier at a lower rep. I'm learning a lot today and I sincerely appreciate the advice!
  • MelanieRS
    Options
    [/quote]

You didn't have to include anything with your post because I certainly didn't ask you to prove how busy you are. I was simply trying to add a dose of reality to your expectations and if you find the truth to be discouraging, so be it. I guess I could just give you some attaboys and say "nice effort!" while patting you on the back but I'd rather point you in the direction where you can actually see results.

I guess I could lie to you and tell you that 10-15 mins of light effort would get you to your goals but 3-6 months from now when you don't see results you may become discouraged and give up. Then next year when you have more time instead of trying harder you might not bother because you don't think that exercise actually works. If only someone would have told you to temper your expectations......

Whatevs
    [/quote]

That is my point... where did I mention my expectations besides that dieting isn't getting me where I thought I'd be? I've clearly said several times that I'd like to work up to a higher workout when I can find the time. I didn't ask anyone for a pat on the back either. I asked for specific advice for what I am comfortable with at a specific point in my life. I just don't know why people would respond to a post asking for specific advice if they don't have any. That is all. Also, I'm not referring to just you either. There seems to be lots of people that have the attitude "if you don't do it my way then it's the wrong way." I'm fine with gradually working my way up. It works for me.
  • MelanieRS
    Options
    Congrats Melanie! Exercise will change your life!! Have you ever heard of the workout program T25? Only take 25 minutes a day at home!

No I have not heard of that. I've never exercised before because I've never been overweight before. Well, I've done sit-ups and brisk walking, etc. when I had my first two kids but the weight fell right off and I didn't need to do it longer than a month or two. This time it's way harder. My youngest is 3 lol. Also, I have a back issues now and can no longer lay on the floor for sit-ups. That was my go to after the first two kids. I appreciate your input and will google the workout! Thanks again!
  • chadgard
    chadgard Posts: 102 Member
    Options

I can certainly relate to your dilemma. I don't have kids, but I teach at a boarding school. The job is 7 days a week, with 12 hour days being the easy ones, 16 normal, and 20's hit a couple of times a week, and you have to do all of your grading and prep work outside of that. In addition, I run a small organic farm - 2 1/2 acres of vegetables, 10 alpacas, a llama, ~180,000 honeybees, peach, almond, nectarine, and pear trees, 1/4 acres of raspberries, plus we make soap, lip balm, and various other body care products.

But here's the thing: if you want to work out more, you'll prioritize it over something else. For example, you mentioned the 4.0 GPA you "have" to maintain. Really? What would change if you "slipped" a bit, and only had a 3.8 GPA. At most schools, you would still be able to graduate cum laude. If the payoff for that shift of priorities is better health, is it worth it? If yes, you'll make the time. If no, then you won't. But only you can make that decision - and you have to make it based on your own expectations, priorities, and code of conduct. Don't worry about the judgements of others - they don't live your life, they don't have your expectations and priorities, or live by your personal code of conduct. But do be honest with yourself. A personal tale:

I used the "no time" excuse to keep from doing many health-related things: working out and sleeping chief among them. Then one day after I hit a wall (figuratively), I decided, "screw it! I'm going to sleep." I started sleeping at least 5 hours per night, even if it meant not preparing to teach class. You know what happened? I actually started teaching better! I was able to perform better "winging it" with less preparation than attempting to execute a "great" plan well prepared, but so tired my brain wouldn't function efficiently.

Then, through a conflagration of life events (including getting a new orthopedist who gave me different advice about my knee), this January I started running without a predator chasing me for the first time since high school. It took time I had previously allocated to other things - mostly the farm. But it lowered my resting heart rate, lowered my blood pressure, was key to my weight loss so far, and has helped strengthen my knee so it actually hurts less now. Ironically enough, the farm has done better because even though I'm spending less time working on it, I'm working faster and more efficiently because I'm more fit. I'm also teaching better, because that time I have running is finally the time I have to myself where no one can interrupt me and I can recharge myself (I'm an INFJ, so as much as I like interacting with people, it drains me. I need time alone to recharge). And now I'm attempting my first half marathon this Saturday. I didn't have the time. Now I do, and I'm no less busy. Busy people will expand what they're doing to fill whatever time there is. So you'll always be just as busy - no more, no less.

People always ask my wife and I how we do it all. Our answer is that we don't. We don't do a lot of the things most people do. We don't own a TV. We don't clean the house regularly (this time a year it really shows and it's embarrassing, but we've prioritized elsewhere and deal with it). I haven't washed a car in decade. I haven't mowed the lawn in 5 weeks (of course, my PR for lawn mowing is 7 1/2 hours, which has been hard to find during this part of the school year + harvest time). It looks like you're in about the same place. You can't do it all. So, something needs to slip
  • MelanieRS
    Options

I can certainly relate to your dilemma. I don't have kids, but I teach at a boarding school. The job is 7 days a week, with 12 hour days being the easy ones, 16 normal, and 20's hit a couple of times a week, and you have to do all of your grading and prep work outside of that. In addition, I run a small organic farm - 2 1/2 acres of vegetables, 10 alpacas, a llama, ~180,000 honeybees, peach, almond, nectarine, and pear trees, 1/4 acres of raspberries, plus we make soap, lip balm, and various other body care products.

But here's the thing: if you want to work out more, you'll prioritize it over something else. For example, you mentioned the 4.0 GPA you "have" to maintain. Really? What would change if you "slipped" a bit, and only had a 3.8 GPA. At most schools, you would still be able to graduate cum laude. If the payoff for that shift of priorities is better health, is it worth it? If yes, you'll make the time. If no, then you won't. But only you can make that decision - and you have to make it based on your own expectations, priorities, and code of conduct. Don't worry about the judgements of others - they don't live your life, they don't have your expectations and priorities, or live by your personal code of conduct. But do be honest with yourself. A personal tale:

I used the "no time" excuse to keep from doing many health-related things: working out and sleeping chief among them. Then one day after I hit a wall (figuratively), I decided, "screw it! I'm going to sleep." I started sleeping at least 5 hours per night, even if it meant not preparing to teach class. You know what happened? I actually started teaching better! I was able to perform better "winging it" with less preparation than attempting to execute a "great" plan well prepared, but so tired my brain wouldn't function efficiently.

Then, through a conflagration of life events (including getting a new orthopedist who gave me different advice about my knee), this January I started running without a predator chasing me for the first time since high school. It took time I had previously allocated to other things - mostly the farm. But it lowered my resting heart rate, lowered my blood pressure, was key to my weight loss so far, and has helped strengthen my knee so it actually hurts less now. Ironically enough, the farm has done better because even though I'm spending less time working on it, I'm working faster and more efficiently because I'm more fit. I'm also teaching better, because that time I have running is finally the time I have to myself where no one can interrupt me and I can recharge myself (I'm an INFJ, so as much as I like interacting with people, it drains me. I need time alone to recharge). And now I'm attempting my first half marathon this Saturday. I didn't have the time. Now I do, and I'm no less busy. Busy people will expand what they're doing to fill whatever time there is. So you'll always be just as busy - no more, no less.

People always ask my wife and I how we do it all. Our answer is that we don't. We don't do a lot of the things most people do. We don't own a TV. We don't clean the house regularly (this time a year it really shows and it's embarrassing, but we've prioritized elsewhere and deal with it). I haven't washed a car in decade. I haven't mowed the lawn in 5 weeks (of course, my PR for lawn mowing is 7 1/2 hours, which has been hard to find during this part of the school year + harvest time). It looks like you're in about the same place. You can't do it all. So, something needs to slip

Thank you for replying! Yes, some things do slip. I'm a healthy eater and with my schedule I am active which is why I can slip on heavy exercise. My 4.0 is paying for college which is why it can't slip. Other things can. I didn't ever say I wanted a crazy, lengthy, immediate results routine. Which is why I regret posting this thread. I just want to do more with the time I have. It is my life and I have prioritized it. I don't see the problem with asking what the best things to do are in the amount of time I have. Maybe if I had ridiculous expectations or asked how long I should be doin something it'd be different. I just get frustrated with people sometimes.
  • chadgard
    chadgard Posts: 102 Member
    Options

Thank you for replying! Yes, some things do slip. I'm a healthy eater and with my schedule I am active which is why I can slip on heavy exercise. My 4.0 is paying for college which is why it can't slip. Other things can. I didn't ever say I wanted a crazy, lengthy, immediate results routine. Which is why I regret posting this thread. I just want to do more with the time I have. It is my life and I have prioritized it. I don't see the problem with asking what the best things to do are in the amount of time I have. Maybe if I had ridiculous expectations or asked how long I should be doin something it'd be different. I just get frustrated with people sometimes.

Within that framework, really, anything you do is going to be better than nothing. I'd probably look at something that can give you multiple benefits on the time. For example, running for me. It was a huge surprise that I actually enjoy it, of course, but I do. So, when I go for a run, I get several benefits: improved cardio health, higher calorie burn (= more ice cream!), strengthening and protecting my knee, mental recharge derived from uninterrupted "me" time (obviously I'm not a "group" runner...), from the same chunk of time. On my thursday runs, my schedule works out so that I'm running around the country block, so to speak - starting/stopping at our farm, rather than the fitness center at school, so I also lump picking up the mail in there to (we have a 3/4 mile driveway, so it's slightly significant).

So, for you, whether it's weight lifting, biking, swimming, running, a video program, or whatever, look for something that you enjoy and can give you some "value added" benefit as well. Maybe you could combine biking and grocery shopping, for example. And, of course, if you can schedule your workout to precede a time when you would normally shower anyway, you save the time an extra shower would take up. But whatever you do, make it something you enjoy. And maybe that means a few weeks of experimentation...