What makes you gain weight one week and loose the other?

Options
Hi my name is Helen and I have been using my fitness pal for 2 weeks now. The first week I lost weight but the second week I gained some weight. I was wondering if anyone knows why that happens sometimes, eventhough you are within your calorie allowance etc?? Thank you :frown:

Replies

• PatriciaTousignant
    Options
    Weightcan fluctuate anywhere from 1 to 2 pounds daily also if you're adding exercise such of cardio or strength training you can also be gaining muscle mass which weighs more than fat. Also it's not always about the calorie intake but about what you're eating so if you're eating more junk food you're more likely to gain weight as your body stores most of the sugars produced by it
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    It could be any number of things from the weight of water from rehydrating, inaccuracies of the MFP exercise calorie burns, where you are at in your menstrual cycle, the time of the day, and even the scales themselves.

If you don't mind some unsolicited advice, then:
    1. Get yourself a good heart rate monitor and rely on that for calorie burns from exercise.
    2. If you are going to weigh yourself, do so at the same time of day
    3. Weigh yourself with a reliable set of scales. For example, the scales I use are at my gym. They're the standard cantilever type with cross-bar and sliding counterweights. They're checked for accuracy regularly according to Australian law. They are the only scales I use.
    4. Keep in mind that your weight will fluctuate. It'll go down, up, down, up. It'll yo-yo its way to weight loss. Don't worry about it.
    5. Focus on other measures other than weight loss, such as happiness and well-being.
    Wishing you all the best,

Ben
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    There's no right or wrong answer, in the same way that no two days are the same. Variety, is the spice of life.
  • Ruansgirl
    Options
    Thank you very much! I am always within the calorie amount of 1200 and sometimes I even find it hard to reach it! I was advised by a dietitian to eat between 1500-1700 and I can bearly eat 1200 :frown: Maybe I should just be patient!:laugh:
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    Have you started exercise?

At about 2 weeks into a new exercise regime, people typically gain water weight.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much! I am always within the calorie amount of 1200 and sometimes I even find it hard to reach it! I was advised by a dietitian to eat between 1500-1700 and I can bearly eat 1200 :frown: Maybe I should just be patient!:laugh:

Or I don't know maybe you should listen to the dieticians advice and eat the 1500-1700 range that was suggested. Losing weight doesn't mean you have to eat as few a calorie as possible. I lost the vast majority of my weight eating over 3000 calories a day. Eat more calorie dense foods to make up the calories...... Best of Luck
  • briandahawaiian
    briandahawaiian Posts: 112 Member
    Options

Or I don't know maybe you should listen to the dieticians advice and eat the 1500-1700 range that was suggested. Losing weight doesn't mean you have to eat as few a calorie as possible. I lost the vast majority of my weight eating over 3000 calories a day. Eat more calorie dense foods to make up the calories...... Best of Luck

Agree