.5 lbs a week??

Options
Hello....So I am not overweight or very heavy at all. I am 5'7 and about 145lbs. I have a little pooch on my tummy that I really want to get rid of. My hip measurement is 33 inches and my waist is 28 inches. I don't really know my goal weight I just want to get rid of a few inches on my tummy and tone up. I've heard that I should only set my weekly weight loss at .5 lbs. I'm kinda confused on how many cals I should eat to lose my tummy pooch. I can literally grab like 2 inches of fat on my stomach. I don't typically eat back my excersise calories so I usually eat around 1400 cals a day plus about 400 excersise calories when I workout. So then I'm usually netting 1000. I try to eat well ( except for this weekend in which I did really bad) but mon-fri I usually do pretty well. I have tried to lose my tummy pooch for quite a long time now but it just won't seem to budge! Even when I've lost like 15 lbs in the past, my hip measurement has always stayed the same. Please help me battle the bulge!!!

Replies

• NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    Your genes decide where your body stores fat. People say everyone can get a six-pack but I beg to differ. Cant beat the genes.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Best results I've had with fat loss has been with a small calorie deficit. Not eating your exercise cals back may not be helping ya since your daily goal already has a deficit for that .5lb a week loss built into it. Cutting another 400 cals from it with exercise leaves you with a huge deficit.

With very little weight to lose and really focusing more on fat loss, you might be interested in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

I have honestly had my best results losing the fat and inches since setting my goals according to the info there. Good luck.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    "They" say abs are made in the kitchen, and having abs is more about body fat percentage.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    google the phrase skinny fat and there will be plenty of info on how alter you body shape with lifting etc
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    "They" say abs are made in the kitchen, and having abs is more about body fat percentage.
    This.
    google the phrase skinny fat and there will be plenty of info on how alter you body shape with lifting etc
    And this.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you need to life and take in more calories. Lifting will change your body shape and you shouldn't net only 1000 calories, that's too little. Look into the New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women or Stronglifts 5x5. Look up success stories with lifting on here to see how it can change your body. Good luck!
  • katiehrgovic
    katiehrgovic Posts: 32 Member
    Options

This.

Weight lifting is the only thing that can "tone" your body. Pick up a copy of New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Also, it sounds to me too like you are not eating enough. If you do decide to begin a weight training program, you will need to eat more. Don't be afraid. Food is your friend!

Good luck! :smile:
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    We have just about the same measurements -- I have 32" hips and a 27" waist and I also have a tummy bulge that won't budge. I'm at a normal weight and have been lifting heavy weights with a trainer for almost 2 years. I've gotten much stronger and I'm getting some nice muscle definition in my arms, back, and legs, but lifting has done absolutely nothing for my tummy bulge. At this point, I've come to the conclusion that I just need to lose more weight period. I'm now trying to lose 10 more lbs., which will put me at the very bottom of the range of what is considered a normal weight for someone my height.

I agree with the others that you should definitely give lifting a try -- it can't hurt and there are so many benefits to building muscle --but it may not do anything for the tummy bulge if you're genetically predisposed (like I am) to storing fat in that one place.