New Group-Interested in Learning to do Handstands?

Options
Hi Everyone!
'
I was looking for a group that focused on a 28 or 30 day handstand challenge, but there is none! I would like to start a group for this, but I would need some members to go in on it with me. I don't know if anybody here uses reddit, but the bodyweightfitness subreddit does these challenges regularly. I would just prefer doing it here, and keeping all my fitness stuff (and friends!) in one place.

The goal is to take a person who cannot do a handstand at all, and enable them to teach themselves to do one slowly using a wall to help prepare you. There is an article to help walk you through the basics, as well as a free ebook for those who want to learn more.

The people who have done this report amazing progress in the 28 days. The handstand itself is an excellent exercise, which helps master balance, strength in arms and the torso, and helps with fear conquering. Even if you don't want to progress to doing them without the wall, you can always keep using the wall and get the muscle building benefits.

Let me know if you're interested so I can start the group!

Replies

• Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    This is a goal of mine that I'm hoping to accomplish by the end of the year. Definitely interested in a group for this.
  • suzeq22
    suzeq22 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'd like to learn that!
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm working on handstands as part of my yoga practice. Sounds fun!
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I work on handstands every day and am trying to come up without momentum and not need a wall.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I'm actually working on it now using the method recommended on reddit. It's pretty cool how fast you can progress, although I haven't had to do any balancing yet...

You could also post this in one of the bodyweight strength training groups here.
  • chrissalvato
    chrissalvato Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Chris Salvato and I actually started the 28-Day Handstand Challenge on Reddit, and dedicated my entire blog to helping adults learn how to handstand. How can I help make this happen, where you can take part in the challenge easily using MyFitnessPal?

If anyone is interested, you can sign up for a bunch of free Handstand Challenge resources (free eBook, commitment spreadsheet, articles on main obstacles, etc.) on the original page for the challenge....

http://chrissalvato.com/2013/05/28-day-handstand-challenge/
  • wild_wild_life
    Options
    Hi! My name is Chris Salvato and I actually started the 28-Day Handstand Challenge on Reddit, and dedicated my entire blog to helping adults learn how to handstand. How can I help make this happen, where you can take part in the challenge easily using MyFitnessPal?

If anyone is interested, you can sign up for a bunch of free Handstand Challenge resources (free eBook, commitment spreadsheet, articles on main obstacles, etc.) on the original page for the challenge....

http://chrissalvato.com/2013/05/28-day-handstand-challenge/

Wow, were your ears burning? :smile:

I've not done any "challenges" before but I would think either starting a new group or adding it as a thread or series of threads in one of the bodyweight groups (which are not active at all) would both work. Then it's just a matter of sending out invites to the group and posting about it on the boards.

Good to have you here!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Been trying but failing. Fortunately, nobody's seen my failed attempts. Mind you, perhaps I could do a videolog on YT and people would watch if only to laugh.
  • malzisfit
    malzisfit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am definitely interested, please keep me posted! :)
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Me me me!!! Besides the weakness factor, I'm freaking scared of breaking something/hurting myself while doing a handstand!!
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I've been practicing holding handstands for time, but I think a program to progress is a great idea. I'm in.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!
    '
    I was looking for a group that focused on a 28 or 30 day handstand challenge, but there is none! I would like to start a group for this, but I would need some members to go in on it with me. I don't know if anybody here uses reddit, but the bodyweightfitness subreddit does these challenges regularly. I would just prefer doing it here, and keeping all my fitness stuff (and friends!) in one place.

The goal is to take a person who cannot do a handstand at all, and enable them to teach themselves to do one slowly using a wall to help prepare you. There is an article to help walk you through the basics, as well as a free ebook for those who want to learn more.

The people who have done this report amazing progress in the 28 days. The handstand itself is an excellent exercise, which helps master balance, strength in arms and the torso, and helps with fear conquering. Even if you don't want to progress to doing them without the wall, you can always keep using the wall and get the muscle building benefits.

Let me know if you're interested so I can start the group!

I was able to complete my first hand stand push up (HSPU) this year and am currently working on being able to do more HSPUs in a row. Feel free to include me in your new group and I will help support people the best I can.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I can do a handstand, but I'd love to do a longer handstand. I hardly dare dream of doing a handstand pushup.
  • melmckay99
    Options
    I've been working on handstands and am so in for the HSPU! I'd like to be able to walk a few steps on my hands too. Nothing easy is worth doing, right? Lol.
  • bakemma
    bakemma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I would love to participate!!! :)
  • Spartan_1_1_7
    Spartan_1_1_7 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm in - when do we start :)
  • BlasianJellyfish
    BlasianJellyfish Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This has ALWAYS been a goal of mine! Especially since I love to do yoga and think it would be awesome to be able to do those tricky inversions.

I would love to participate :)
  • chrissalvato
    chrissalvato Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I've not done any "challenges" before but I would think either starting a new group or adding it as a thread or series of threads in one of the bodyweight groups (which are not active at all) would both work. Then it's just a matter of sending out invites to the group and posting about it on the boards.

Good to have you here!

haha! I thought the same thing ("Whoa, how did I find this!") when I was searching for the Reddit Threads from previous challenges posts on reddit...just seems to be good luck!

I am ramping up to start another Reddit challenge on Thursday. It usually gets a few thousand new challengers every time I do it, and I recently optimized the whole process. I am making sure everything will go right on Thursday, then I can tackle setting things up here.

In the meantime, you can read this article here that explains how the challenge works, and the nuts-and-bolts of the handstand progression:

http://www.chrissalvato.com/2013/05/28-day-handstand-challenge/

If you want, you can just sign up for the Handstand Challenge Toolkit. It includes an eBook (explains the against-the-wall progression), the commitment spreadsheet and a bunch of free articles on conquering fear/balance/pain. That signup link is here:

http://28dayhandstandchallenge.com/myfitnesspal/

Once I am done with Reddit on Thursday, I'll set up an official group so everyone here has a place to talk about it. :)
  • pinkbananashoes
    Options
    This is AWESOME! I am so in! Keep me posted too!
  • wild_wild_life
    Options

Good to have you here!

haha! I thought the same thing ("Whoa, how did I find this!") when I was searching for the Reddit Threads from previous challenges posts on reddit...just seems to be good luck!

I am ramping up to start another Reddit challenge on Thursday. It usually gets a few thousand new challengers every time I do it, and I recently optimized the whole process. I am making sure everything will go right on Thursday, then I can tackle setting things up here.

In the meantime, you can read this article here that explains how the challenge works, and the nuts-and-bolts of the handstand progression:

http://www.chrissalvato.com/2013/05/28-day-handstand-challenge/

If you want, you can just sign up for the Handstand Challenge Toolkit. It includes an eBook (explains the against-the-wall progression), the commitment spreadsheet and a bunch of free articles on conquering fear/balance/pain. That signup link is here:

http://28dayhandstandchallenge.com/myfitnesspal/

Once I am done with Reddit on Thursday, I'll set up an official group so everyone here has a place to talk about it. :)

Great, thank you!