very low or no calories snack food?

Options

Replies

• Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I always called it "ants on a log" when I was little too.... but hadn't heard that recently, made me smile!

Fruit of any sort, air popped popcorn or a 100 calorie microwave bag, a hard pretzel (slather it with a weight watchers or laughing cow cheese wedge!), sliced veggies either plain or with a small amount of creamy "light" dressing to dip them in, a Kashi TLC bar (I love the dark chocolate cherry ones!), a huge salad with a vinegar or lemon juice dressing (or "light" dressing of your choice- but actually only use 2 tbsp or less), light yogurts (freeze them for an icy-creamy treat), There's lots!

:smile:
  • mjh720
    mjh720 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My favorite is 94% fat free popcorn. Low-calorie, it satisfies the salty/crunchy craving, and loaded with healthy fiber. The 100 calorie snacks are good, but I find they're not usually enough for me, and I end up just getting another bag (or 2!), which kind of defeats the whole purpose!
  • trailhead12
    Options
    I have always preferred jerky as my snacks and have found it good one. They are definitely the best ones.

Jerky
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    broccoli
    celery
    strawberries
    cucumbers
    cauliflower
    baby carrots

are all low calorie foods. You could gorge yourself on any of the above, cooked or raw, and it'd be hard to make a big dent in your calorie goal.

Also with the summer months coming up, I like to puree ripe strawberries and pour them into Popsicle molds and freeze them for a calorie-cheap dessert or snack.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    pureed frozen banana and pineapple....soooooooooo goooood.
  • allysonagee
    Options
    Be careful with baby carrots because the are soaked in chemicals to preserve them since they are cut.
  • tenilleless
    tenilleless Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Kale/spinach chips :heart:
    tear up kale or spinach leaves (or just use baby spinach), wash and dry them, spread them out on tinfoil on a cookie sheet, spray them with a misto (or with pam), sprinkle on spices, pop in oven for ~15 mins at 375 (You'll know they're done with they're stiff and crispy)

Or get a popsickle kit (They're on sale right now since summer is over, or you can get them at the dollar store)
    Mix up crystal light or mio or whatever flavoured water you want and fill the popsicle mold. Its great if you can toss in some fruit with a simular flavor. Another option is to mix almond milk with a tsp of vanilla extract, a tsp of brown sugar and fill up molds, then add a tsp of chocolate chips to each. It makes a chocolatey popsicle thats usually under 100 calories (imput the recipie as you go)

Or fruit. Clemintines/Mandarins are great and about 50 cal. Same with grapefruit. Cut up apples sprinkled with cinnamon.

2 bananas + 1 cup oatmeal (uncooked) + handful of chocolate chips or blueberries. mix. Plop onto parchment paper on a cookie sheet, bake at 350 for 15 mins = low cal

popcorn

tea/coffee

sugar snap peas, cherry tomatoes, celery, cucumber, pepper slices

cut up banana, freeze it, blend it, add mixings = "ice cream"

yogurt

I'll stop now. I really like talking about food and recipes. :laugh:
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I snack on a berry mix - strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries.

I also LOVE cheese - so I buy the cheese snack packs that are already pre-portioned out, and I eat it very slowly to savor every single bite!

Sometimes I want something salty, so I have some bruschetti little toasts (6 per serving) with artichoke antipasto or Alouette spread. Or mini edamame crackers (36 per serving!)

If I'm not really hungry, but need to eat, I might have a chocolate almond pretzel Kashi bar or a Special K chocolate pretzel cereal bar.

Depends on what I'm craving, but there are LOTS of choices!!!
  • FitterBody
    FitterBody Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Bamboo Worms are a tasty insect snack which is high in protein, fiber and low in fat. Like Cheetos? You will love these. A hint of corn, slightly fibrous.
    Or try crickets. Just snap off the legs and wings first so they go down the throat more easily.
    Water beetles are slightly higher in fat content and don't look quite as appetizing to many (including me) but still a local delicacy here (usually eaten with a beer instead of peanuts but that would up your calorie intake....maybe ok for those of you that follow IIFYM. :drinker: )
  • errorist
    errorist Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Tesco (in the UK) do a Lebanese Spice Blend -http://m.tesco.com/mt/www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=276994517

I mix it with some low fat Greek yoghurt, a little lemon or lime, and there you are, the high speed, high flavour vegetable dipping can commence.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    The only 0 calorie food is water.
  • Kargicq
    Kargicq Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    New MFPer here -- I was wondering the same thing. Nearly all the low cal snacks available at my workplace are really high in sugar and/or carbs! From today I'm taking some crackers in with me.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    broccoli
    celery
    strawberries
    cucumbers
    cauliflower
    baby carrots

are all low calorie foods. You could gorge yourself on any of the above, cooked or raw, and it'd be hard to make a big dent in your calorie goal.

Also with the summer months coming up, I like to puree ripe strawberries and pour them into Popsicle molds and freeze them for a calorie-cheap dessert or snack.

^^^^^ I like this stuff if I am just looking to keep my hands busy - I also like raw cabbage I just cut it up in smallish chunks

sometimes you need to hit a craving though - I keep 10g squares of dark chocolate in my freezer and will occassional grab one or two of those (I had a giant bar from Christmas so I broke it up and froze it). For salt cravings I like Quakers Crispy Minis they have all kinds of flavours and 12 is under 100 calories.
  • Imgettinskinnier
    Options
    100-calorie serving is equivalent to about 19 almonds.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Be careful with baby carrots because the are soaked in chemicals to preserve them since they are cut.

http://digitaljournal.com/article/260034 << here is an article on the baby carrot issue - it debunks the rumor that they are bad because of being soaked in chlorine - they go through a chlorine wash for a specified amount of time and then are rinsed in potable water

I was sucked into that one also lol
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    broccoli
    celery
    strawberries
    cucumbers
    cauliflower
    baby carrots

^^^^^ I like this stuff if I am just looking to keep my hands busy - I also like raw cabbage I just cut it up in smallish chunks

sometimes you need to hit a craving though - I keep 10g squares of dark chocolate in my freezer and will occassional grab one or two of those (I had a giant bar from Christmas so I broke it up and froze it). For salt cravings I like Quakers Crispy Minis they have all kinds of flavours and 12 is under 100 calories.
    Good stuff! Love baby carrots too!
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If it has no calories, it's not made of food.

Any fruit or vegetable is low in calories. I make a great and easy dill dip for veggies that is pretty low cal, about 50 cals for 4 tbsps.

Dill Dip

3 tbsps. Hellman's half fat mayonnaise
    8 tbsps. fat free sour cream
    2-4 tbsps. dill weed

Mix well.
  • Breylin
    Breylin Posts: 23
    Options
    My favorite are pickles...very few calories (like 5 a piece I think?) and they are salty and have a crunch...it is my alternative to pretzels / chips :)
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    AdvantEdge protein shakes.. can get at walmart. Not expensive and only 110 calories. That's all I really have for lunch and it fills me up.
  • Iwantchange_22
    Iwantchange_22 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Peeled cucumber - Only around 6 calories for an entire cucumber. and there great in summer!
    Celery sticks
    Carrot sticks.
    grapes.

water.