Thoughts on diet sodas whilst dieting?

Options

Replies

• Sierra_christine89
    Sierra_christine89 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I agree with people saying its a lifestyle change. If that's your case, and you're not on some weird diet then I think one every once in a while is fine. I drink in sometimes, just not everyday.
    Just know that it will make you bit bloated if you drink it..just like any fluid you drink that isn't water!

Enjoy your lifestyle, and don't deprive yourself. If soda is something you like, drink the diet sodas :)
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I first up have to say I still drink diet coke on occasion, was very addicted, until my partner a conspiracy theorist suggested I cut it out. Just recently I was looking up additives by number in a low fat rice crisp substitute that I bought to snack on at work (wanted the whole salt and vinegar taste) and I started reading peer reviewed articles on the topic of MSG, but also veered off onto Artificial sweetener

Firstly - you need to check the diet drink by country for what sweeteners it contains the same brands and names are totally different depending on where you live (including Diet Coke from Coca Cola and the ever increasing versions of Low Cal Pepsi).

In Australia Diet Coke uses Aspartame, Coke Zero uses acesulfame potassium

This is what I found:

Research published in June 2013 -
    Prediabetic changes in gene expression induced by aspartame and monosodium glutamate in Trans fat-fed C57Bl/6 J mice.
    Collison KS, Makhoul NJ, Zaidi MZ, Inglis A, Andres BL, Ubungen R, Saleh S, Al-Mohanna FA.
    CONCLUSION: The combination of ASP and MSG may significantly alter adiposity, glucose homeostasis, hepatic and adipose tissue gene expression in TFA-fed C57Bl/6 J mice.

TL/DR no1 -- Pretty much says that MSG in combination with Aspartame increases blood sugar ;central fat (around your organs and heart); serum free fatty acids is linked to insulin resistance (pre diabetes) and Fatty liver.

My mum is diabetic and drinks a large amount of diet softdrink, so this was a major concern to me.

This is one of those papers that talks about information in other papers (I personally don't think people should get academic credit or Kudos for doing a paper that reviews others' work on a particular topic - but it's useful for me)
    Yale Journal of Biological Medicine. 2010 June; 83(2): 101–108.
    Published online 2010 June.
    PMCID: PMC2892765Gain weight by “going diet?” Artificial sweeteners and the neurobiology of sugar cravings
    Neuroscience 2010

Some bits that are pretty interesting to me:

Quote from paper re: Aspartame
    In a crossover design by Ralph et al., they concluded that individuals with mood disorders are particularly sensitive to this artificial sweetener and its use in this population should be discouraged.[34]
    The reference at 34 was done in 1993 already - I suffer from a mood disorder, so this is quite significant to me and disappointing at the same time since I had never heard about it.

Quote from paper about whether or not using Artificial Sweetened Softdrink helps with weight loss
    Several large scale prospective cohort studies found positive correlation between artificial sweetener use and weight gain. The San Antonio Heart Study examined 3,682 adults over a seven- to eight-year period in the 80s.
    In addition, consensus from interventional studies suggests that artificial sweeteners do not help reduce weight when used alone [2,25]. BMI did not decrease after 25 weeks of substituting diet beverages for sugar-sweetened beverages in 103 adolescents in a randomized controlled trial, except among the heaviest participants [26].
    TL/DR No 2 people stayed the same weight (mostly) when replacing full sugar for aspartame even though there is a huge difference in calories.

Quote from paper about Artificial Sweeteners in General (Not just Aspartame)
    Preload experiments generally have found that sweet taste, whether delivered by sugar or artificial sweeteners, enhanced human appetite. Aspartame-sweetened water, but not aspartame capsule, increased subjective appetite rating in normal weight adult males [33]. Aspartame also increased subjective hunger ratings compared to glucose or water [34]. Glucose preload reduced the perceived pleasantness of sucrose, but aspartame did not [34]. In another study, aspartame, acesulfame potassium, and saccharin were all associated with heightened motivation to eat and more items selected on a food preference list [35]. Aspartame had the most pronounced effect, possibly because it does not have a bitter aftertaste. Unlike glucose or sucrose, which decreased the energy intake at the test meal, artificial sweetener preloads either had no effect [33,35] or increased subsequent energy intake [36,37]. Those findings suggest that the calorie contained in natural sweeteners may trigger a response to keep the overall energy consumption constant.

TL/DR No 3 - You eat more or are more hungry when you have artificial sweeteners than when you have real sugar, because the artificial sweetener doesn't tell your brain that you have had sugar.

Quote from paper about desiring sweet things
    Lastly, artificial sweeteners, precisely because they are sweet, encourage sugar craving and sugar dependence. Repeated exposure trains flavor preference [54]. A strong correlation exists between a person’s customary intake of a flavor and his preferred intensity for that flavor. Systematic reduction of dietary salt [55] or fat [56] without any flavorful substitution over the course of several weeks led to a preference for lower levels of those nutrients in the research subjects. In light of these findings, a similar approach might be used to reduce sugar intake. Unsweetening the world’s diet [15] may be the key to reversing the obesity epidemic.

TL/DR No 4 Regardless of whether it is real sugar or articial sweetener the more you have it the more you want it.

For me personally this means Diet Coke makes you fat.
    Edited -- Some Typos and Grammar Gremlins
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I drink diet pop like it's going out of style. My health is just fine. And I'm losing weight just fine.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are that it is saving me for caffiene while I am too lazy to go the store to buy coffee.
  • DrewMontoya
    DrewMontoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    They contain aspartame and that causes brain cancer in lab rats. I call them diet death lol.

There it is!!!

You missed two before that. A guy who got "smarter" and one that posted a link to a horrifically poor article about all the dangerous "chemicals."
  • peachcats
    Options
    One reason to avoid: Caramel Coloring. I drink flavored water (and yeah, it still has aspartame)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/03/pepsi-caramel-coloring-carcinogen-4-mel_n_3540683.html

(Dated in July, it says Coke is okay but Pepsi still needed to change.)
    Please please please never take scientific or health advice from bad journalism sites.
    Please.

for the rest of the thread,
    There are seriously hundreds of peer reviewed studies on diet sodas, aspartame, etc. If you want to prove them wrong, I'd suggest making some of your own peer reviewed studies.
    The idea that these studies are "paid off" by food companies is ridiculous if you understand what "peer reviewed" means and look at the number of studies that have been done.

I'd be way more leary of drinking high fructose corn syrup any day of the week personally(something the CDC openly tells people to not consume!)
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I used to drink LOTS of Diet Pepsi .. and then I changed and got smarter.

I think that ANY pop is bad for you, even diet pop. The manufacturers spend billions of dollars promoting their pop .. and it is one of the worst things you can put into your body.

I don't do pop anymore. I don't miss having it at all.

- Kevin -

This self righteous "look how enlightened I am because I don't drink diet pop" attitude is funny to me. Will stand by and watch more of you show up. Should be entertaining.
  • azrainstorm
    azrainstorm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think this is a personal choice. I drink diet soda and flavored zero calorie carbonated and non-carbonated drinks. I usually just have them with lunch or dinner. They work great for me, because I can take a little sip and it can calm my hunger while I am preparing a meal or to conquer a craving. I try to drink water the rest of the time. Sometimes water can help with calming hunger, but it does nothing for me when I am craving a high calorie food.
  • WestCoastWild
    WestCoastWild Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Anything in moderation? Anything that seems like..."cheating" cant be good for your body. I kind of subscribe to the mentality of at least knowing how things are made, and with what, if you couldn't re-create it in your own home, then why are you putting it into your body? Id rather drink water every day and save my carbonated drink allotment for a nice craft beer :D
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I drink coke zero or pepsi max.... have done the entire time. Guess it has not stopped anything. I'm actually half way through a 2ltr bottle right now
  • sazrina
    sazrina Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I drink 2-3 cans of diet coke a day, I've lost 17lbs without cutting it out. I love the taste and its the only source of caffeine I get so I couldn't imagine giving it up.
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If your focus of loosing weight is your health, what does diet pop add to your health?

I love a diet root beer every month or two, but as a regular part of my diet, no thanks. It brings no nutritional benefit to my diet so why drink it.
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    One reason to avoid: Caramel Coloring. I drink flavored water (and yeah, it still has aspartame)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/03/pepsi-caramel-coloring-carcinogen-4-mel_n_3540683.html

(Dated in July, it says Coke is okay but Pepsi still needed to change.)
    Please please please never take scientific or health advice from bad journalism sites.
    Please.

for the rest of the thread,
    There are seriously hundreds of peer reviewed studies on diet sodas, aspartame, etc. If you want to prove them wrong, I'd suggest making some of your own peer reviewed studies.
    The idea that these studies are "paid off" by food companies is ridiculous if you understand what "peer reviewed" means and look at the number of studies that have been done.

I'd be way more leary of drinking high fructose corn syrup any day of the week personally(something the CDC openly tells people to not consume!)

There are actually a considerable amount of said peer reviewed papers that seem to be independent that actually state the opposite of what you seem to think they do in relation to trying to lose weight. Scare mongering aside. I actually did read all the papers and a large amount of the referenced papers in the studies I quoted, and even though I admittedly consume diet drinks that contain aspartame and metamucil (of all things!) that also contains aspartame. They pretty much all conclude that consuming artificially sweetened diet soft drink is of no benefit at all to weight loss and does not assist the consumer to adhere to a lower calorie diet. I am sure high sugar diets are hazardous to your health, but anyone who is restricting calories would not be able to have a very high sugar diet anyway.

So anyone who says it is assisting them in weight loss - it's probably the same as any other snake oil type product, your weight loss is actually coming from your increase in exercise and decrease in calories that you are doing alongside your consumption of diet drinks.

And for those who say it increases your apetite or need for sugar - you are totally correct it has been proven in lots of peer reviewed studies (financed or not). But that doesn't make it a health hazard it just means that if you do 'need' to have it (for the caffeine or the taste or to stop you from drinking high sugar drinks) then you need to be aware of the effects so that you can compensate for them by counting your calories, or fixing your sugar craving with a low calorie sweet that does actually have sweetness that your brain recognises.

Most people who are diligently tracking calories and increasing their activity can indulge in both artificially sweetened drinks (or foods) as well as high sugar drinks or foods if they fit into your daily allowance without either of them effecting your weight loss effort.
  • xRiverX
    xRiverX Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Drink if you like it? I rarely drink soda (or juice, lemonade, energy drinks etc. for that matter) but when I do, I prefer diet ones since I have no problem with artificial sweeteners in an artificial drink.

Nonetheless, this thread will attract many aspartame haters.

Yeah, we'll, I'm just curious. Some people say to stop drinking them, some people do. I still do.

try drink in moderation?
  • BeautifulLadi89
    Options
    I drink diet sodas all the time, but the brand I get is called Zevia. It has 15 different flavors and no added artificial sweeteners, and other bad ingredients. forgot to mention that there is no aspartame in it if your worried about that.
  • xapril77x
    xapril77x Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I drink diet sodas all the time, but the brand I get is called Zevia. It has 15 different flavors and no added artificial sweeteners, and other bad ingredients. forgot to mention that there is no aspartame in it if your worried about that.

What flavors are good?
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My name is not Templeton and I am not a rat or mouse, therefore I will continue to drink Coca Cola Light when I please.
    templetons_bowel_movement_by_juliomartell-d30457u.gif
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Three Fing pages and not one Slurm reference? WTF people?
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Hypnotoad.gif

drink diet soda you will
  • Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I love pepsi max and have drunk alot during all my weightloss....

From my point of view... It tastes nice, has zero-3 calories per serving, and makes you feel full! (Bloated, but full none the less!)

Each to their own!