I'm having a nightmare...

Options
Just weighed myself today and I'm three pounds heavier than last week...I have just come off my period last night. I thought I would have been lighter as now I'm off. I will measure myself tomorrow morning as I feel trimmer. Shall I weigh myself again on a different scale? Or weigh myself again tomorrow or just leave it until next week? Thanks

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    It's normal for your body to retain water during your period.
  • R1ss4n1
    R1ss4n1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Your weight can fluctuate multiple times in a DAY, so try not to worry about that.

I've actually weighed more in the morning when I've just gotten out of bed compared to right before I go to work in the afternoon so you might just be hitting a heavy time of day for you.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I find it takes about a week AFTER for my body to stabilise - try again on Friday morning.:happy:
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh every day if it makes you freak out.
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    I gain and lose 1-3 lbs several times a week due to fluid. I'm pretty sure women do this more than men. Don't sweat the small stuff.
  • dragoncake79
    Options
    It's just a it disheartening, however it's given me more of a push. I guess the 05% less body fat is a bonus.

I'll measure myself later and see if there's progress. And then I'll weight myself before the weekend...

onwards and downwards ;)
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    I know it's disheartening but honestly I go with how clothes fit more than what the scale says.
  • WDA4655
    WDA4655 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Keep your eyes on your goal honey. Your body is readjusting from after your period. Be patient with it and let your body make the adjustments. I just came off a plateau this morning. I could have let it disappoint me going through the plateau but I set my mine to NOT let anything distract me from my goal so I kept my eyes on the goal and not the scale. You're doing great! Slow and steady the journey enjoying each and every step of the way with all your friends by your side.

I am 58 years old but when I turned 40 so many people made negative comments on turning 40. I chose to see things differently. When my twin sister and I were very young there was a hill that we had fun rolling down. I can remember us giggling all the way to the bottom of that hill. This is the image I thought of when people would say to me, Well, it's all down hill now that you turned 40!

Create an image in your mind of what you want your journey to be as you go and enjoy the trip.

As I always say, Make the best of your day!
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day just for that very reason -- you get to know the fluctuations and what to expect. That way you don't freak out when it's up or when it seems you have a big loss that you then seem to regain. Fluctuations of a few lbs is normal and we can't always pin it to a specific cause.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Stop. Wait a few more days. Even better, a week.
  • LazyGuy91
    LazyGuy91 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Whenever I weigh myself, I allow a +/- 5lbs margin of error because of weight fluctuations and scale differences.

I know it's stressful when you're trying to lose weight, but just record it and keep on track.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I say put the scale away and use it less. Who cares about the number really...isn't it about what you see in the mirror, how your clothes fit and your body fat?
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    It's just a it disheartening, however it's given me more of a push. I guess the 05% less body fat is a bonus.

I'll measure myself later and see if there's progress. And then I'll weight myself before the weekend...

onwards and downwards ;)

Electronic scales that use impedance to measure body fat will give a lower body fat percentage reading if you're retaining water, because the more water you have, the lower the electrical resistance of your body. The combination of higher weight and lower body fat percentage strongly suggests that your weight is higher because you're retaining water, not because you've added fat.

I weigh myself daily and calculate an exponentially smoothed weighted average to get around daily fluctuations. John Walker explains how and why in "The Hacker's Diet" (online; Google it); the trendweight.com website provides a handy tool for doing so, either manually or with a WiFi-enabled scale.