Working at Jimmy John's and giving up bread. Support?

Options
PescetarianPrincess
PescetarianPrincess Posts: 37 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I want to try and give up bread, mayonnaise, and soda for the rest of the month, but it is seriously the hardest thing I have ever attempted! I just try and fill my cravings with other things! Having an unwich and stuffing it with veggies is both filling and satisfying (for the most part) but making sandwiches for all those people.... ugh it's just really hard. I really would love some support!

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Don't give up bread. Bread and carbs are perfectly fine for you. Don't demonize foods.
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I gave up bread for the lent season this past year... I'm not sure how I did it while working at Wendy's but I did and lost bout 10lbs in that time... I love bread but I did it... I'm willing to do it again starting tomorrow... friend me if you want..
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Can you tell us why you're giving up bread?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Jimmy John's 7-grain bread is beast.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Gave up bread once. Hardest hour of my life. Never again! Bread is food. food is good.
  • PescetarianPrincess
    Options
    I'm giving up bread because any of the bread I can get a hold of have way too many calories and carbs, and aren't made of real wheat.
  • PescetarianPrincess
    Options
    Jimmy John's 7-grain bread is beast.

ugh I hate it!
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Why not bring your own low-calorie flatbreads/wraps from home to put your sandwich stuffings into?

Most of them are seriously delicious.
  • PescetarianPrincess
    Options
    Why not bring your own low-calorie flatbreads/wraps from home to put your sandwich stuffings into?

Most of them are seriously delicious.

I mean, mostly because my mom doesn't bring flatbread home from Kroger. Besides, we aren't even really allowed to make our own sandwiches, and the manager would not let me do that.
  • jesskreg
    jesskreg Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    When I reduced my carb intake, I always ordered unwiches there. I would get a turkey unwich with peppers, dijon mustard and all veggies. You may have to just stick with that or bring your own lunch from home. If you don't get a lunch break during your shift then wait until you get home to eat. If you get a 15 minute break then bring a snack from home. I would imagine it would be difficult to work there and give up bread, but it's doable. Good luck! :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I am kind of confused because it sounds like you do not like the JJ bread anyway, and are not really tempted to eat it. So what is the problem?

I used to work for Wonder-Hostess years ago and I actually lost weight working there because it was a physical job yet I had no desire to eat any of the Twinkies, Ho-Hos and such. Looking at them every day and smelling them made me feel kinda grossed out. I've talked to a lot of restaurant workers who feel similarly about the food they prepare and serve. Maybe that will happen for you?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I refuse to assist people in torturing themselves. Sorry.
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options

How is she torturing herself?? She dosen't want to eat bread.. you act like thats going to kill her.. shes not taking all carbs out.. I've never seen anywhere that states that you have to eat bread to be healthy...
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

How is she torturing herself?? She dosen't want to eat bread.. you act like thats going to kill her.. shes not taking all carbs out.. I've never seen anywhere that states that you have to eat bread to be healthy...

While I wouldn't refer to it as torture myself, I think maybe they meant randomly "banning" certain foods & beverages from one's diet even though it causes a lot of cravings and self-induced "suffering"...which I guess IS sort of what the OP is doing according to the top post.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Read the OP again. It sounds like self-torture to me.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

While I wouldn't refer to it as torture myself, I think maybe they meant randomly "banning" certain foods & beverages from one's diet even though it causes a lot of cravings and self-induced "suffering"...which I guess IS sort of what the OP is doing according to the top post.

Right. Making yourself miserable on purpose, for no good reason, is just being mean to yourself. It's not as bad as "cutting," but it's pretty crazy.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Do you have a particular reason for giving up bread? If you don't, you may not want to.

Otherwise, I don't eat a whole lot of bread - maybe once a week at the most. I think it's something you'll get used to, if you want to make it a habit.
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    love JJ's seven grain wheat bread. i usually just pile it all on one of the halves so I only end up eating one slice. beach club no mayo one slice of bread is a great lunch for me that i've lost weight eating about once or twice a week
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I want to try and give up bread, mayonnaise, and soda for the rest of the month, but it is seriously the hardest thing I have ever attempted! I just try and fill my cravings with other things! Having an unwich and stuffing it with veggies is both filling and satisfying (for the most part) but making sandwiches for all those people.... ugh it's just really hard. I really would love some support!

You can do it! It's just willpower. Hippies on here are going to tell you that carbs are good and all that. Which i'm SURE you already know. ALREADY KNOW. The point is, this is just something that YOU want to do for yourself. So with that in mind, test yourself. See if you can manage your ability to not give in and quit. No one wants to see quitters. If you're going to eat a burger, just eat the patty. Replace soda with juice or water. Mayonnaise is tough, but maybe start with light mayo or miracle whip to ween off. Or replace mayo with mustard. These are just suggestions to help you with your intended goal. It's always good to step up to difficult challenges, which you indicated this would be. GOOD LUCK! This will make you a stronger person!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Hmmm rather than deny myself and risk setting myself up for failure, ....I'd just limit myself to sensible portions. No foods are off limits to me!
This discussion has been closed.