Depression and weight gain

Options
I lost my brother in an accident last month and have been on a steady weight gain for the last three weeks. I know that is not a long time but I am afraid that I will continue on this path if I don't nip it in the bud now. I have been depressed in a way that I have never known before. I am not laying in bed all day or crying all the time, I just have a constant feeling of something missing in my chest. It may sound weird but I feel like I have been trying to fill it with bad food choices. Over the last 2.5 years I have come close to my goal weight a couple of times but always sabotage myself when I get too close and gain back 10 pounds or more and have to kind of start myself over again. This tragic loss was probably my biggest excuse for letting my goals go on the back burner. I need some helpful advice. How do I refocus myself on my health goals when I feel so low all the time? Is there anyone that has gone through this that can give me some advice?

Replies

• SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with severe depression for years which led to me self-sabotaging a LOT. It only got worse when two people I loved died. The only suggestion I can offer you that worked for me is to get help with therapy and medication if necessary. Depression is a nasty and insidious disease, and as hard as it was to walk through my doctor's door and admit that I needed help, I don't regret it one bit. My life is 100x better than I ever thought it could be.

I'm so sorry for your loss and wish you all the best.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. This isn't you sabotaging yourself, this is you reacting in a perfectly human way to a huge loss.

I think when you say you are eating to fill a gap that is exactly right, or at least that is my experience of it. The problem is that it works, at least for a little while. But it doesn't work forever.

I know this is not what anyone wants to hear, but it takes time. A lot of time. I would encourage you to be gentle with yourself, but that doesn't mean sitting down with a carton of Haagen Dazs an a spoon. The most gentle thing you can do for yourself is eat well and rest well and be patient.

If you can afford to talk to a counsellor I would encourage you to do so. At the very least, most cities offer groups for people suffering from loss. They might be able to offer some coping skills.

That feeling of despair can be dangerous, it's good to keep aware of it and on top of it. I hope you do well. You can add me if you like.
  • Brunette122
    Brunette122 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi. First off, I am so sorry for your loss. A tragic event like that really messes with one's body, physically and mentally. Unfortunately, I was the opposite when my dad died, suddenly, I didn't eat at all, but of course now that I'm at a good place mentally, my weight is all back and now I'm trying to lose. My advice to you would be to go to an exercise class. You're with other people who are working towards a common goal and that is infectious. Once you take that step, you might find that you will obtain other healthy acts, like eating better, etc. It's that first step that is always the hardest, but maybe focusing on eating better and working out will help subside the pain and the loss that you are feeling. God bless.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you're coming from. I've lost both my parents unexpectedly in the last 6 months. I know that hole that you're talking about but I also know that food isn't going to fill it or make anything better. My go to has been exercise. It's really hard some days to push myself off the couch but I find that getting the blood flowing and getting some adrenaline really helps. This weekend is our Canadian Thanksgiving and it's the first time in 56 years I haven't spent it with my parents. I've been trying to keep busy but by yesterday afternoon it was all starting to crash in so I put on my running shoes and hit the road. It did help a bit.

My other go to is to ask myself if my parents would want me to be sitting here feeling sad and ruining my health. The answer is a resounding NO! They were both very proud of my achievements and my mom bragged to everyone about my being able to do a 5K in 30 minutes, of course not without adding, at my age.

No one can fix your hurt but as they say, life goes on. Try to make the best of it and do what you know would make your brother proud.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry for your loss. I went through the same thing when my mother died. The only way I was able to handle it was to start lifting heavy and turn my depression eating into a "bulk" but I don't think that works for everyone. Just try to remember that eating doesn't make you feel better in the long run. Find things that you like but are low calorie (sushi, or cucumbers dipped in my favorite salsa for me). Give yourself some time. Don't beat yourself up for it bad eating. You don't need added stress. You'll make it through this.
  • Prettypedalpower
    Options
    Firstly I'm really sorry for your tragic loss. I lost my daughters in 96 + 97. I had that same hollow chest feeling too for years and I filed it with food/drugs/alcohol anything basically that for a brief moment would fill it.. I've been in similar shoes to yours. They were a pretty **** fit.. I know it sounds corny but I knew if I wanted to carry on happily I had to do it for them in their memory.. Just in my head.food won't fill that hole you feel time will. it took me years.. Give yourself chance to exhale from the shock and upset then start again. No one would judge you for dealing with this any way that suits you. xx frances
  • shortevette
    Options
    Thank you so much. I needed to hear this. I am very sorry for your losses too. I can't even imagine losing my child. I will give myself a chance and stop being so hard on myself. Thank you for telling me this and showing me that others have the same struggles. Grieving is a very lonely process, no one else ever seems to know what to say when there is a death of a close loved one. Thank you for your honesty.
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    My prayers are with you. I had never had weight problems until losing my younger sister 4 years ago. I had just started a new job (which turned out to be equally awful after 6 months) and in my first week at a conference in DC she passed leaving 3 children. We weren't close, but somehow this came crashing down on my as I was just getting back on my feet from a bout of severe depression. Didn't help that a neighbor of her's told me "I" had killed her? Still not thinking that woman was all there, but her comment haunted me for months. I just spiraled into drinking and overeating and am now 40lbs. overweight w/high blood pressure (NEVER had that either). I also isolated myself from everyone and everything as I got bigger and bigger. I have nothing new to add that anyone here has said, but it takes time, and for many of us therapy and medication. I am proud to say that I have turned the tide - FINALLY - with a new, wonderful job w/very supportive co-workers (who push me to the gym with them every day) and a husband and son who walked this walk with me. My blood pressure is now normal and I've completed my therapy and begin reducing my BP and depression meds this week. Now read that 1st line of mine again. It's been ALMOST 5 years now. I'm just now realizing how low I had gotten. Friends see me now and comment on how calm and happy I look and sound and I've not lost an ounce yet.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm really sorry for your loss........grieving is a really lonely process - it's like dancing around a black hole - and hoping you don't fall in. Give yourself time to deal with this - this is major..........and be good to yourself in the process (now is NOT the time to harsh on yourself with weight issues). When you can breathe - and think - then tackle it. My Mom died 15 years ago - and I was anorexic at the time.....I used food as a way to control all of my hurt, anger, and helplessness. I found a great shrink - did a lot of talking and crying.........and joined a bereavement group as well.........talking about your feelings and pain can help - and make you feel less lonely. Good luck with this - thinking about you.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    YES - you aren't alone. I was diagnosed with a disease in February (non life threatening, but unexpected and left me totally depressed) and steadily gained 5lbs/month since then, and have just now reversed the trend. You need to nip it in the bud now.

Can you do something to mix up your exercise? I joined a Cross Fit gym, and though I don't go as often as I should, it helped me get excited about getting back to the gym again. I also started running again and the endorphins have really helped. You might consider spending $100 (or whatever amount you can) on new gym clothes. I went to Victoria's Secret and bought myself a couple of new running tops that are comfortable and cute, and that got me excited too. Try to make working out as pleasant as possible, and you'll get back to it. I've found that exercise totally moderates what I eat - ie when I'm running, I think, "wow, this would be so much easier if I weighed less" and that carries through the rest of the day and I do wind up eating less.

Hope this helps. I'm sorry for your loss :-(
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. I needed to hear this. I am very sorry for your losses too. I can't even imagine losing my child. I will give myself a chance and stop being so hard on myself. Thank you for telling me this and showing me that others have the same struggles. Grieving is a very lonely process, no one else ever seems to know what to say when there is a death of a close loved one. Thank you for your honesty.

Thank you for having the courage to share your feelings and start this thread. I think grief is something that people have a really hard time with. It seems that no one else can have the feelings that you do and it's one of those things that if you do share it with others they tend to dismiss it, get uncomfortable and tell you that you'll get over it.
  • jeansuza
    jeansuza Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for you. I don't think anybody can really understand your personal grief because, yes, it is so personal and there are so many ways to cope with it. You'll do what you can and time will help you. In the meantime, try filling the void with pleasant activities, meetings with dear friends and all sorts of low calories indulgences such as warm soups and splenda sweetened mint tea. My opinion is that if you let go of all control on food, you'll end up even more depressed... Furthermore, physical activities and fresh air will activate the endomorphines in your body and make you feel better... Wish you well...
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss, it's hard at first but it does eventually get better. Finding someone to talk to has helped me tremendously. Even if they are just a friend, a neighbor or a family member. Professional help is good for really dealing with depression, too.
    My other go to is to ask myself if my parents would want me to be sitting here feeling sad and ruining my health. The answer is a resounding NO!

This one of the ways I have gotten myself through loss in the past, including the loss I had just weeks after starting my weight loss.

Also filling the hole with anything that is not destructive. For me that meant no alcohol and no mindless stuffing my face, but books, movies, people and pets all helped greatly.
  • shortevette
    Options
    Thank you again to everyone that posted on this thread. I am starting to feel better and dwell on things less and less. I know it is going to take a long time and I know that I will never "get over" the loss of my brother. But as of now I am getting my head on straight and getting A LOT of exercise and eating right. I am feeling so much better physically and I feel like I am going to stay on track because I am doing things the right way. I talk regularly to people in my life about how I am feeling and I cry when I need to cry. Holding it in was not helping me. It feels good to let things go. I used to think that meant losing control but now I know that it is the only way to get in complete control of my feelings. Good luck to all of you on your personal journey's and I am so sorry to all of you that have lost people close to you.