Goodbye Mr. Scale

Options
Mr. Scale has finally gone to the big bathroom in the sky. We suspected there might be a problem when he weighed the cat at 200lbs.

I dont know if we can ever replace him. He was analog and simple to calibrate. Put up with years of my obese butt, cat using him to sleep on, and several moves.

So my question is should I stay analog or should I go digital. I want one that weighs heavy 400lb capacity. It also will have to undergo the stress of cat, dogs, and kid jumping on it. Bonus points for cheap, easy to calibrate, and reliable.

Any good suggestions? (besides throwing it out I like knowing how much I weigh, keeps me in check)

Replies

• OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I love my withings scale. Nothing beats the convenience of automatic data recording, integrating with multiple methods of charting your weight, and additional data to evaluate your health beyond just a weight number.

It meets all your criteria except weight (its limit is 396lbs, perhaps close enough?) and it is expensive.

Osric
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I bought a cheap digital scale from Walmart and love it.
  • herwholejourney
    herwholejourney Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Fitlosophy scale.
    You can either use it regularly OR input your goal weight and it will show you how many pounds you have left till goal when you step on it and it lights up a certain color if you have lost or gained weight from your previous weigh in.

From the website: "we don’t believe in obsessing over a number on the scale – we believe in setting goals. for many people the scale becomes their enemy rather than a tool to track progress. with our sleek goal weight body scale, the scale is no longer scary. you simply get on the scale, program in your target weight, and each time you weigh in, it indicates your progress toward or away from your goal. this fresh take on a body scale allows you to focus on your goals and track progress without focusing on your “ideal” weight. plus, watch the backlight color change as your reach your goal (green=goal!).

make it a family (or friend) affair and set goals as a team - the scale can track weight for up to 10 people! there is strength in numbers - people, that is."

http://www.getfitbook.com/goal-weight-body-scale-p/goalwtscale.htm
  • kejoca
    kejoca Posts: 2
    Options
    I bought a digital Walmart scale ($20) when I first moved, but I noticed that it was giving me inconsistent readings. I had to average its answers until I couldn't stand it anymore.

Now, I use the EatSmart Precision GetFit Digital Body Fat Scale w/ 400 lb. Capacity & Auto Recognition Technology. It is on Amazon for $54.95. It is very consistent, doesn't require pressing any buttons (you just stand on it and it measures right away), and can even give you estimates for body fat %, water weight, bone mass, and muscle mass. After using it for 3 months, it has stayed accurate in its weight measurements. And it helps that it looks pretty spiffy, too!

Edit: AND you can have up to 8 profiles. So you could use one profile for each person and pet. :)
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I bought a cheapy off brand digital one for under $20 and it's still going strong after a year. I had the WW digital one before that it only lasted a few months.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    misleading title lol
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    When you do buy one, be sure to check the weight limit. I think several responses are recommending scales that will top out at 250 or 300lb, which is good enough for a lot of people but I didn't think met your requirements.

Osric