Paelo Dieters how is your colon???

Options
Thrity million later and we are still chimps inside!!

http://www.care2.com/causes/our-ancestors-were-mostly-vegetarian-not-meat-eaters.html

Fortunately, new research holds the answers to what Paleolithic diets actually were, and you might be surprised at the findings.

We get a much better and more rounded view of what our predecessors ate when we stop focusing on one individual set of ancestors and start considering the question in a bigger, broader context.

It all comes down to the gut and the colon. Carnivores have huge, smooth stomachs which turns prey into protein, herbivores have dense stomachs with hair-like villi and bacteria that aids in the breakdown of plants, ruminants like cows have a kind of giant fermenter which produces specific fatty acids that they can use and store, and others scarcely have stomachs at all with fermentation taking place in a greatly enlarged large intestine.

Human guts, on the other hand, are surprisingly boring, yet interestingly remarkably similar to those of orangutans and chimpanzees (with some rare exceptions). So what do other living primates with guts akin to our own eat? The diet of nearly all monkeys and apes are simple. Fruits, nuts, leaves, insects and on occasion the odd snack of a lizard or bird. Primates have the capacity to eat sugary fruits, leaves and meat, but meat is rarely consumed, if at all.

The majority of food eaten by primates is vegetable, not animal, and research suggests that it’s been that way for the last thirty million years. To put it simply, our generalist primate gut is primarily made to eat plants, and in essence that is what the Paleo diet truly is. We might have unique immune systems, brains and even hands, but our guts are nothing special and for tens of millions of years they have been filled with fruits, leaves and on occasion a piece of raw meat.

Maybe our ancestors weren’t 100% vegetarian, but they certainly weren’t the carnivorous caveman that we are led to believe.

When trying to find the perfect model of eating, there are so many factors to take into account and this newest study only brushes up on them. There are the differences in our digestive system, the evolution of our bodies in order to adapt to diets heavier in animal protein, and of course the processing of food, but with that being said, there is no arguing that with all the studies available to us.

It is clear to see that a vegetarian diet is healthful, and that the more fruits, vegetables and plant-based foods you consume, the more benefits you will reap.

Replies

• pricesteve
    pricesteve Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much the conclusion on the paleo diet when I looked into it.
    Quite a good summary on TED
    http://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=cHElVHHyqA6ljlazgbPO6Q&u=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DBMOjVYgYaG8%26feature%3Dshare
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I actually eat more vegetables now that I'm on a paleo diet than I ever did with a normal diet that included bread, dairy etc. I generally get 40-50 grams of fiber a day, all from veggies and fruit. And my digestion and everything has never been better! :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Maybe our ancestors weren’t 100% vegetarian, but they certainly weren’t the carnivorous caveman that we are led to believe.

And the meat they did eat was certainly not hand-massaged and "pasture raised" - it was basically roadkill they scavenged from other predators.

The whole "paleo" thing is pure broscience.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian and paleo both have nonsensical dietary restrictions.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I did a several month experiment with primal eating (paleo with some dairy) and I developed some pretty obnoxious digestive issues from it. I listened to my body's cues and stopped but I do think some people do really well with this type of diet so to each their own :)
  • Lichent
    Lichent Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    the ted talk on paleo diet fad
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOjVYgYaG8
  • agdyl
    Options
    I did a several month experiment with primal eating (paleo with some dairy) and I developed some pretty obnoxious digestive issues from it. I listened to my body's cues and stopped but I do think some people do really well with this type of diet so to each their own :)

Honestly, I think that's the most sensible thing. I've tried a number of things and I feel so much better when I don't eat grains, added sugar, or almost any dairy, that it's not even a question. My macros are great, my hair, my skin, my digestion, my cholesterol levels, my blood sugar, my energy levels and my weight are all better than ever. And I'm not fighting cravings anymore. Quite clearly, the way I'm eating works for me. If what I'm doing doesn't work for you, try something else.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I don't do Paleo and my colon is fantastic but my semicolons are ruined.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    TL;DR. My pooper seems fine though. I'll give it a tickle later just in case and report back so you sleep better at night.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

And the meat they did eat was certainly not hand-massaged and "pasture raised" - it was basically roadkill they scavenged from other predators.

The whole "paleo" thing is pure broscience.

Even chimps hunt and they haven't developed the sophisticated tools that paleolithic man did. I doubt that the majority of their meat intake came from "roadkill".

*I'm not a paleo dieter, never will be, but that statement needed to be refuted.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I don't do Paleo and my colon is fantastic but my semicolons are ruined.

This kid is winning at life.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I actually eat more vegetables now that I'm on a paleo diet than I ever did with a normal diet that included bread, dairy etc. I generally get 40-50 grams of fiber a day, all from veggies and fruit. And my digestion and everything has never been better! :)

Considering the paleo diet is pretty much fruits, veggies, and a bit of meat, I would hope you eat more veggies now than you did when you could eat other things. Otherwise you're probably just not eating.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    More talk about a lifestyle by people who have no experience with it. Eating healthy unprocessed food is a "fad"? Love the logic. Keep eating your pop tarts and boxed cereal. We'll see who gets the health problems, including the colon. In fact, I seem to eat more veggies than the average joe, right along with my 6-8 ounces per day of meat.

PS. I've heard/read many first hand accounts of long-time vegans who report that their plant-based diet destroyed their health.... and they were not junk food vegans. But I suppose their first hand experience is invalid as well. Newsflash, we are not monkeys and I'd love to hear your theories on the historical diet of the Inuit, and other aboriginal groups that lived in challenging climates.
  • agdyl
    Options

Considering the paleo diet is pretty much fruits, veggies, and a bit of meat, I would hope you eat more veggies now than you did when you could eat other things. Otherwise you're probably just not eating.

Yeah - that's my point. People seem to think eating paleo/primal/whole30/etc. is like an excuse to eat nothing but bacon. (And I don't even eat bacon). If you're doing it right, you're eating loads of veggies, but there's this incorrect perception that I run into all the time that it's nothing but meat.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options

Yeah - that's my point. People seem to think eating paleo/primal/whole30/etc. is like an excuse to eat nothing but bacon. (And I don't even eat bacon). If you're doing it right, you're eating loads of veggies, but there's this incorrect perception that I run into all the time that it's nothing but meat.

You had me until you said you don't eat bacon. You are a fool! j/k :)
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    More talk about a lifestyle by people who have no experience with it. Eating healthy unprocessed food is a "fad"? Love the logic. Keep eating your pop tarts and boxed cereal. We'll see who gets the health problems, including the colon. In fact, I seem to eat more veggies than the average joe, right along with my 6-8 ounces per day of meat.

PS. I've heard/read many first hand accounts of long-time vegans who report that their plant-based diet destroyed their health.... and they were not junk food vegans. But I suppose their first hand experience is invalid as well. Newsflash, we are not monkeys and I'd love to hear your theories on the historical diet of the Inuit, and other aboriginal groups that lived in challenging climates.

If a vegetarian and vegan are not supplementing with vitamins/minerals then they will cause a lot of health problems to surface from deficiencies. Eating healthy unprocessed foods is not the FAD. But following a specific diet like Paleo is a FAD. You don't need a specific diet formula to eat healthy and unprocessed foods. Following diet restrictions and rules is what makes up the FAD aspect.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    divefail_zps56ff4cc4.gif
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    divefail_zps56ff4cc4.gif

You might have some chlorinated water in your colon based on that gif. Ouch.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    1. The author in your link is a vegan and animal advocate. This plays a huge part into her biases (as evidenced by the favoring, at the end, of a vegetarian diet).
    2. The only thing she linked to that wasn't another care2.com post was a blog post on ScientificAmerican.com, which itself was poorly cited (as in, pretty much none). At least that author, though, is a biologist (but again, no source citations for anything he's said).
    3. It's again the canard based essentially on what australopithecus, the ancestor that first diverged from chimpanzees, ate. The problem with this is that it ignores the entire Homo line, and its associated meat-eating-leaning adaptations (such as the ability to cover great distances to follow migratory animals). It's been made pretty clear that humans have been omnivores since the days of Homo Habilis, who used tools to scrape meat off of carcasses it scavenged (http://australianmuseum.net.au/Homo-habilis ), and increased as we moved through Homo Erectus, which hunted large animals and had meat as a dietary staple ( http://australianmuseum.net.au/Homo-erectus ). This, of course, means that the diet of an individual group will vary dramatically (and the evidence supports this, even in modern societies that eat solely locally-found food), depending on location, with the amount of meat consumed increasing as you go farther north.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    divefail_zps56ff4cc4.gif

You might have some chlorinated water in your colon based on that gif. Ouch.
    This is how real men get an enema.