Lost weight, lost inches, still look just as fat in photos

Options
Anyone get that? I mean I'm halfway to my goal weight, yet can't make up any before and after photos of my hard earned progress.

I mean you see a photo of yourself 3 Months ago then compare it with a recent photo, and notice almost zero difference, your gut still hanging and your still wide and people I haven't seen in months, no comment, even though i'm 20kg lighter.

Halfway to my goal weight, 100kgs (from 120kgs-80kgs), I hope I got something visible to show for it if I can reach my goal weight, even though being lighter is advantage too, but when i finally hear the word, "Hey, you've lost weight!" would be very encouraging...

Replies

• Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    To you - maybe. I bet if you posted them up people could really tell. You're doing great!
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    What Hildy said. It's hard to see the progress yourself sometimes even with pictures.

And I think other people just don't pay attention to us the way we do ourselves.

I hadn't seen my sister in 6 months. She was in town the other day and we went to dinner. The only thing she said regarding my weight loss was (after explaining what the Body Media Fit on my arm was for) "And is that helping?" Apparently she couldn't tell that I have lost over 50 lbs. I also ran into my brother and his wife this weekend. Haven't seen them in probably a year. No comment on the weight loss. But that's okay. My sister in law had put on a lot of weight over the last few years but I really couldn't remember when I saw her if she was just as big as before or if she was smaller. I certainly didn't want to comment it on it and assume it was probably the same for them.
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Maybe in photos you can't tell as much, but I look at my shoulders and see the difference in definition, I try on old jeans that were once too tight and now fall down, I feel my ribs now not fat and I feel much healthier.

If other people don't notice, maybe it's because they don't study your body as much as you do, plus it's harder to tell depending on what you're wearing.
  • nettip
    nettip Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I totally feel the same im down 35lbs and 1-2 dress sizes ( depends on make) . went i look down i see a difference - my knees are smaller, my ankles thinner, can feel my collar bone, friend say they can see a difference but when u look at pictures there is none but they do say the camera adds pounds ?? plus i hate pictures of me im the one taking the pics not the one in them!!
  • TDiaz214
    TDiaz214 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    The main thing is to not get off your weight loss, you may not see it now, but eventually you will.

If you have more weight to lose, then it'll take longer to see a difference as you're carrying it all over your body rather than it just being in one place.

Keep it up !
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Have you bought new clothes? If you're clothes are big and baggy you'll look bigger.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    No, I was wearing the same clothes when I was 120kg, they look a little stretched on me now, my clothes have never more comfortable to wear, too worried to start buying smaller sizes, as I know they can easy not fit me for long.

And only notice my weight loss is my neck, shoulders and thighs, the belly and waist line is still there.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    No, I was wearing the same clothes when I was 120kg, they look a little stretched on me now, my clothes have never more comfortable to wear, too worried to start buying smaller sizes, as I know they can easy not fit me for long.

And only notice my weight loss is my neck, shoulders and thighs, the belly and waist line is still there.

That makes a huge difference. I totally understand not wanting to have to buy new clothes every couple of months, but even if you're going to a thrift store and getting a couple new things that fit - that's when you really see a difference. If you're wearing the same clothes and they just fit looser, it's harder to tell.

On the other hand, if you really don't have the money or don't care about looking thinner in your clothes until you get down to your goal - then don't worry about it. But then you have to just keep in mind that you're not "seeing" the results as much if you're hiding under baggy clothes.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Hey, that's the "dude pattern" to fat loss, it happens to a lot of us.

Even if we have a hard time seeing it ourselves, others see it, and for the huggers in our lives, they definitely feel it. It's tough, I know. "All time" low this morning - 60 pounds off my high - and I look in the mirror and still feel like I look every bit as fat. Just hang in there, you're clearly doing a lot right, the rest will come!
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your advices, I think it time to buy new clothes, I didn't think of that, I just wanted to look thinner in my old ones
  • jaecamp1
    jaecamp1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    No one noticed that I had lost any weight until between 40-50 lbs. That was about the time this I actually needed to get some new clothes too. Now I get a lot more attention for the loss, but I still notice that whenever I make that transition to the next lower size is when people say something. Personally, I don't see any difference when I look in the mirror. I do take measurements and with mine they will stay the same then jump down a couple inches even when the pounds lost are fairly steady.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I can sort of relate. Admittedly I have not worked out all that much - I mostly walk, bike, weekly hikes, but nothing major - and I had a thinnish face even at 307 lb so there was less for me to change (no double chin for example, which many people had & then lost when they lost weight).

But yeah...from about 290 to 260, I looked *EXACTLY* the same in photographs. And from 260 to 218 (currently) I don't think there is much difference in photos even with the weight loss and many inches lost. No one ever comments on my weight loss from seeing photos of me. HOWEVER, when people see me face to face they always comment. I am drastically smaller. I just have not changed SHAPE all that much, and again my face has barely changed at all despite 89 total lb loss.

Just know that you're doing a lot for you, you are improving your health and wellbeing. I know it feels good when people notice and recognize the changes, but I believe for you (and anyone) that WILL happen. It just might not happen at the same rate or in the same ways that it does for other people.
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way:/