eating back calories

Options
So I eat 1200 calories a day... I burned 302... Am I supposed to eat the back?

Replies

• kenyonl85
    kenyonl85 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    yes!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It depends. For starters, how do you know how many calories you burned?
  • bc92487
    bc92487 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Runtastic Pro... Its an app on my phone where I put in all my info and it tracts everything on a map and elevation and such.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are using the MFP method, yes you are. Depending on how you got the exercise burn, though, 300 may or may not be the right number. Are you using a heart rate monitor?
  • jasonalvear
    jasonalvear Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    yes!

^
  • AbsOrElse
    AbsOrElse Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would eat at least part of it back.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Yes, but the 302 is just an estimate.

You will have to do some trial and error to see how far off the app is.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I have my MFP setting at "sedentary" so that I do eat back every calorie. I am careful to underestimate my cals burned, though.

My 20 yo daughter has her setting at "lightly active" and also eats back every calorie, with great results.

It makes sense to eat back your exercise cals because otherwise your deficit is really extreme. If you are set to lose weight fast, so that you aren't allowed a lot of cals in the first place, and then you exercise and don't eat those cals, you're depriving your body of even more cals than necessary. Not very fun and it makes it hard to function without enough fuel.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Unless you use a HRM with chest strap to calculate your calorie burns from exercise, I'd eat 50% back.