Made the switch to MFP from WW

Options
rsrfitpal
rsrfitpal Posts: 8
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hi everyone!

I started my journey this past January (2013) with that "other" weightloss place, WW. I had success, I am down 50 lbs! However, their customer service, was horrible, and the phone apps never worked properly...so I couldn't keep giving them my hard earned money. It was a hard decision because I was having success for the first time in this weigthloss thing. I was 290 lbs when I started, and I am down to 240 now.

Last week I made the switch to MFP on recommendations from my gym manager. Yes, I joined a gym and everything this time around! Anyway, looking for any extra motivation and support from those of you who have been using MFP for a while now. Maybe even some tips and tricks to help make it even easier! Looking forward to exploring this program, and getting to know some of you!

Rhonda

Replies

• watercolorarteest
    watercolorarteest Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Been on MFP since April. My favorite haunt on here is the Success Stories message board for inspiration and ONGOING motivation. I can say that I'm glad i joined. I stay off of some boards because they get pretty punchy with people debating back and forth about what's right and what's not. But it is all interesting to read. If anything you will realize quickly how you are NOT alone in the battle against the bulge! :) Welcome aboard!
  • ronitaa
    Options
    I just started really using MFP but I am here to encourage and receive encouragement. I find it most helpful to have MFP on my mobile device as well up on my desk top at work. It keeps it in my face so I can log my food.
  • geturgoat
    geturgoat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Welcome! WW is a great plan, but I can't justify paying the fees when MFP is FREE and really easy to use. :smile:
  • kimm40p
    kimm40p Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I recently made the switch as well. I was successful with ww. I lost 21 lbs but then stalled. I switched to MFP just to try a different approach from using the point system. I am hoping the change shakes things up a bit:)
  • Shivpea
    Shivpea Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi Rhonda,

Sending you a friend request!!

S.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I tried WW twice in the past. I think part of my problem was that I am not a big meeting person and I always felt obligated to go. Plus I didn't like paying for it. I have been on here regularly since last January. It works great as long as you are dedicated to logging honestly.
  • jules159
    jules159 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I used to do WW as well. Originally lost 75 lbs but gained most of it back and then did it back and forth for years with limited success. I too got tired of spending the money. I really like MFP. It just makes more sense to me. I didn't like how some things were "free". To me, a calorie is a calorie and it should all count.
  • nicholeryan07
    nicholeryan07 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello!!

I used to do WW too - I found it a little difficult at first to mentally switch from points to calorie counting, but now I feel like its soo worth it. Not only because its free, but because i think there is more freedom in counting calories and portions - and it makes you more aware of your choices. For me anyway. :) good luck to ya!
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

No one recommended it to me. I discovered it on my own when looking for an app to help me log my calories. I jumped right into it and have not stopped logging ever since.

I hope you will love it here as much as I do. It worked for me like nothing else did ... and I'm in my second year of maintenance.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    You can do it! There is a lot of motivation to be found here, and a great support system. Find like-minded people and you'll be set! Congrats on starting this part of your journey :)
  • hollykirsten
    hollykirsten Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi! Please feel free to add me if you would like! Ive done WW in the past and have had success with it but could never afford to keep doing it. This is a great app and I have had more success with it then I did with WW. So I would be happy to help you out any way I can! I am currently down 37.6 pounds and have about 37.5 to go! Im at my half way point :) I also have logged in for just under 100 days so I am very consistent with being here!
  • gbpacker001
    gbpacker001 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am a former WW and now just do MFP. You will have success here as well. Just incorporate what you have learned from WW and track here instead. The calorie goal that has been set when you registered will mostly coincide with the WW points plus system. We know that fruits and veggies are a way to bulk up meals without adding too many calories. You can still have that occasional treat just like at WW just make sure you log everything . A few favorite web sites for great recipes are skinnytaste or emilybites or skinnykitchen just to name a few. Feel free to friend request me if you need a friend on this journey. I lost 80lbs with WW became lifetime then went back to old ways and regained plus :( I rejoined online and lost 60 of those pounds. Came to MFP and have since lost 9 lbs. Would love to lose 10 pounds more and then maintain!! :happy:
  • raingirl21
    raingirl21 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have used WW in the past and lost weight but I wasn't healthy. I was "skinny fat". I could eat crap and still be in my points. Not that I can't do that with MFP, but with it being visually in front you in your diary, I feel much more accountable. You can also make your diary public and then others can see what you are eating and make suggestions. This has really helped me. Also MFP is about going to the gym, eating healthy, and generally making the "lifestyle change" instead of just going on a diet. And it's free!

Wishing you the best!
  • rsrfitpal
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the feedback! Looks like this "community" could be just what I was looking for!
  • mhoeff1
    mhoeff1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    you can add me if you want I did weight watchers and kept loosing and regaining the same five pounds and yes oh my are the staff at the ww meetings rude !!!! So glad I quit ww and joined mfp !!! like it much better and freeeeeee welcome
  • rsrfitpal
    Options
    I am a former WW and now just do MFP. You will have success here as well. Just incorporate what you have learned from WW and track here instead. The calorie goal that has been set when you registered will mostly coincide with the WW points plus system. We know that fruits and veggies are a way to bulk up meals without adding too many calories. You can still have that occasional treat just like at WW just make sure you log everything . A few favorite web sites for great recipes are skinnytaste or emilybites or skinnykitchen just to name a few. Feel free to friend request me if you need a friend on this journey. I lost 80lbs with WW became lifetime then went back to old ways and regained plus :( I rejoined online and lost 60 of those pounds. Came to MFP and have since lost 9 lbs. Would love to lose 10 pounds more and then maintain!! :happy:

How do you plan for the "special treats" with MFP? On WW we had daily points and weekly points. I used daily points each day, and saved weekly points for a special day out with my hubby. Now I have just daily calories, and comparing food journals from one program to the other, my daily stuff is pretty much the same, so I am assuming calories and daily points are similar. Just not sure how to incorporate treats into this program so each day isn't the same old thing but still not going off program. Any tips?
  • lharrop1669
    lharrop1669 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That's great! I am/was a Lifetime member of WW. I lost 40lbs 7years ago. In the last year, I put it back on. I could not keep my head in the game and was paying my hard money too, to WW.

I am making a new Go at it! Welcome aboard.
  • myrasanders50
    Options
    I have been using this app 95 days and am down 30 pounds. I hit plateaus, I record everything I eat and try to reocrd all my water. I am not as successful on that part but I do track every bit of food. Recent health issues necessitated change and so I go. I congratulate you on your success. I was going to that other place too, but same issues here. I have not joined a gym, but where I live, I have an excellent place to walk, and I try to every day off. This morning I walked 1.6 miles in 35:04. If you knew me, 95 days ago when I started, walking about 100 yards was a chore and took me over 10 minutes and I had to rest to return. Not now. I did that 1.6 without stopping. MFP talks to Runtastic which can record exercise of lots of types including my walk. It also has a pedometer app that talks to MFP. Look into those if you have places to walk. I wish you much success!:smile:
  • teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Hello there!, welcome, I think you'll find a ton of support here and many people have lost their weight!... I am down 50 pounds so far!
  • kirdyq
    kirdyq Posts: 165 Member
    Options
This discussion has been closed.