Need aspargus recipes or cooking instructions

Options
sbusarah
sbusarah Posts: 163 Member
I bought some aspargus but have no clue on how to prepare it. I like it when I have had it out. Need some recipes or cooking instruction on how to prepare it and keep low cal and healthy.

Thanks!

Replies

• ftchansen
    Options
    I love asparagus. Here's how I cook them.

Bend the stalk of asparagus till it snaps... the bottom parts are tough but could be used for a vegetable stock because they taste ok and have nutrients.

The tops, probably 2/3 of the original stalk, taste fantastic roasted. I lay them on a baking sheet and sprinkle a little olive oil over them, and maybe a little salt and pepper. Roast at 350 for 15 minutes or so and check if they bend easily... if so, they are done, but even if they overcook a little and get crisp, they are still delicious... Enjoy!
  • sbusarah
    Options
    thank you ftchansen! what spices would you suggest that are good on aspargus?
  • sweetscorpio17
    sweetscorpio17 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    WRAP TURKEY BACON AROUND THEM! Then put them on a cookie sheet with some Pam in the oven til the bacon is cooked.
  • tlowder
    tlowder Posts: 21
    Options
    Lemon pepper is nice for a spice when roasting.
  • BunnyDVP
    BunnyDVP Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Wrap Turkey Bacon around 2 to 3 stalks and secure with a toothpick. Place in a 13 X 9 baking dish.

Melt 1/2 cup Splenda with 1 stick of butter. (microwave is good to melt) Add a tablespoon of garlic salt to mixture.

Pour over vegetables. Bake covered in oven at 350 degees (about 30 minutes) or until vegetables are tender.

I also use whole string beans instead of aspargus. Can string beans work well and wrap 5 or 6 of them together.:smile:
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    I love them roasted in the oven with or without turkey bacon, and steamed.
  • krklstephi
    krklstephi Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I love to throw them on the grill (no seasoning). And I bake them in the oven with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Very yummy!!!!
  • katschy
    katschy Posts: 67
    Options
    I steam them, and put on a little butter/salt/pepper. On the grill, lemon/oil/salt/pepper. They're delicious!!
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/asparagus-with-sliced-almonds-and-parmesan-cheese/Detail.aspx :)

I'm always on the hunt for new recipes, check out allrecipes.com, it's pretty good :)
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I too love them roasted, sometimes I grate a little parmesan on them after they cook a few minutes. Also very good just sauteed with olive oil and garlic! One of my fav veggies, enjoy!
  • kr7213
    kr7213 Posts: 7
    Options
    I do them similar to others.....except I lay out sheets of aluminum foil, break the ends off like the others said....then in a small bowl mix olive oil, fresh garlic...it you like garlic, I press 3 or 4 cloves....about 1/8 teaspoon of pepper and less salt...think I use more pepper and try to limit the salt to half the amount of pepper. Most recipies call for the opposite (1/4 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp of pepper) but I am trying to cut back on salt and like a lot of pepper. Still the mixture and brush it on the asparagus as you layer it on the aluminum foil....then I wrap the foil like a tent...rolling up the long sides then pinching up the ends so it is all sealed. I bake it in the oven at 350 for 25-30 minutes or throw it on the grill. The fresh garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper works on tons of veggies....peppers, squash, potaotes, even corn on the cob.
  • sbusarah
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas! I will definitely try the one with almonds someday because it looks really good. The turkey bacon looks great too. However I have neither in my house. I decided to bake the aspargus with olive oil, lemon pepper, garlic, and parmasean cheese. I can't wait for that and my tilapia to be done baking.
  • LaSirena29
    Options
    Clean as above. In a large frying pan bring about 1" of water to a boil. Add the asparagus & cook for 2-3 minutes. Drain. Add the asparagus back to the pan with a little butter, olive oil & garlic (garlic powder works too). The amount really depends on the amount of asparagus. A 14-16" frying pan with a single layer of asparagus takes about 1 tablespoon each of butter & oil. Sauté until the asparagus starts to get a little brown on the edges. Sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. Put a lid on the pan & remove from the heat. Let sit, with the lid on, for about 5 minutes.

This is the way we've always eaten asparagus (learned it from my great grandmother), but with tons more butter & cheese. I cut those way back. I still like the flavor that the butter gives, which is why I do a mix of butter & olive oil.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    i trim as listed above, lay them on a cookie sheet, spray them with pam and sprinkle them with garlic salt. I broil them on the second oven rack for 5 minutes, shaking the cookie sheet to turn over the spears so they cook evenly. then sprinkle with parmesan cheese and broil til cheese is just browning slightly
  • Slinks33
    Slinks33 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yummy!
  • kimmyl69
    Options
    Asparagus is my absolute FAVORITE veggie, and here is my favorite way to prepare...hubby LOVES it too!!!

I steam it for 15 minutes

During the last five min. of the asparagus steaming, heat a nonstick pan with Pam spray and crush a couple of cloves of garlic in it...as soon as asparagus is done, toss it is the heated pan and squeeze the juice of a whole lime on it...should be hot enough that it "sizzles" as you are doing that...Toss around and add pepper and a little bit of sea salt...ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!!!!
  • dtremaine
    Options
    I roast all of my veggies, they taste great, especially asparagus. add a little olive oil, sea salt and garlic. roast at 400 for about 15 minutes, yum!!!
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    bump
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Sautee them for a short time in a very hot pan (2-3 minutes max). Squeeze a quarter of a lemon over them, salt and pepper. Wait until the skin just starts to blister on the stems, then they're done! No oil or sauce required!!!