So...I cheated

Options
I've been eating great and feeling great the last couple weeks. Can even start to see some toning, which I'm excited about. However, last night I went out with a couple friends and yes I had a couple drinks that I shouldn't have had because of all the sugar. And then before going home, I was so tired to the point of passing out that in my poor judgment I got fast food. I'm super mad at myself, because had I been smart about it, I could have gotten a salad or something healthier but my cravings and fatigue won. It wasn't even so much that I was craving, it was just out of habit I think and I was too tired to think better. But it's the day after and I feel gross. I can feel the food gave my tummy something to fight with. What do you guys do after you cheat to get back on track and just to feel better?

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Forget about it, keep calm and carry on!
  • rockstar2b66
    Options
    I've been drinking water all day and continuing with my healthy eating. Hopefully that should help.
  • KelARita7
    KelARita7 Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Forget about it and move on. There are always going to be days that I cheat. I wanna be able to go out with my family or my friends and not think about what I'm eating and drinking. So enjoy those times and then hop right back on the healthy/active bandwagon and don't look back and regret the fun you had :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up about it. Everything in moderation is fine IMO. Not even remotely a big deal.
  • KMR_KAG
    KMR_KAG Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i did that this weekend. its all good as long as were back on track... Gotta Stay Motivated :)
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    If you have been doing good so far, one night is not going to undo all your hard work. Like above states, definitely don't beat yourself up about. Continue to drink lots of water and hey, you can punish yourself with an extra workout or pushing harder at one. I ate fast food yesterday but burned over 1103 calories in strength training and cardio. -Do I eat like that everyday no, but I enjoyed it, it tasted good.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Please realize that you are going to eat fast food and drink alcohol late at night again.

Dont teach yourself to feel guilty when this happens, because guilt doesnt fix anything. Find a more sustainable, healthy way of dealing with the completely normal action of going out with friends or family.

Instead of beating yourself up and feeling guilty about it, create a habit of ALWAYS being the girl with the reputation of working out the next day- cause she's a badass and she's just that awesome.
  • _Bajiggity
    _Bajiggity Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    How is that cheating? You still have to live and enjoy life. Just don't do it everyday and you're fine. I will eat or drink anything in moderation and I got to goal weight when I stopped obsessing on the scale and counting calories.
  • lottewiegeraad
    lottewiegeraad Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You are doing great, your tummy is telling you this by putting up the fight the day after. Now it is time to move on, it's normal to cheat sometimes
  • MrsBingley
    Options
    Well, I stopped calling this behavior "cheating". Now, I plan for it, and call it a "high intake day". If I know I will be going out with friends, I may leave a bit of room in my calories for the 6 days before hand. If it comes up unexpectedly, then I will be a little extra careful with calories for the next several days (but never below 1200).

I know it sounds silly, but for me this makes a huge amount of difference. If I incorporate pleasurable eating of the junk food in moderation as part of the plan, then I don't feel guilty about it. I don't wake up depressed or ashamed the next day. I don't feel like a failure. It keeps me from getting frustrated and giving up.

ETA: I DO log these days. It is possible to put away 5000+ calories in a day, and that undoes a LOT of work.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Well, I stopped calling this behavior "cheating". Now, I plan for it, and call it a "high intake day". If I know I will be going out with friends, I may leave a bit of room in my calories for the 6 days before hand. If it comes up unexpectedly, then I will be a little extra careful with calories for the next several days (but never below 1200).

I know it sounds silly, but for me this makes a huge amount of difference. If I incorporate pleasurable eating of the junk food in moderation as part of the plan, then I don't feel guilty about it. I don't wake up depressed or ashamed the next day. I don't feel like a failure. It keeps me from getting frustrated and giving up.

ETA: I DO log these days. It is possible to put away 5000+ calories in a day, and that undoes a LOT of work.

This!!!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    cheating? you had food and drinks while out with friends. that's not a crime. if you want this to work, it'll be a good idea to change your relationship with food. instead of ideas like "good, bad, and cheating" just try to hit your calorie goals for the week. If you're going out on the weekend with friends try to save some calories for it so that you can enjoy yourself. And if you go over on one day, so be it. No one got fat because they ate too much every so often. Heck, if you were in a deficit all week you probably didn't go over enough to actually gain any weight.

weight loss works a lot better if you incorporate the things you're going to want to for the rest of your life.
  • whizzlers
    whizzlers Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Forget about it, keep calm and carry on!

Agree xx
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Once in a while you have to let yourself have a couple drinks and some fast food. It's part of life, and this is your new life. Moderation really is the key!

As for what to do today, I always just make sure that the day after a cheat (or one of those "every now and then" days since you are in no way cheating) is right at my calorie goal and filled with lots of healthy food as kind of a replenishment to my system. Think veggies, lean protein, try not to have much sugar, etc. Get in a good workout too and you'll feel much better. :)
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Several plans out there let you have a "free day" on the plan to help satisfy major cravings some of us have...don't beat yourself up, about it! You realize it wasn't the best decision, and it's not like you're going to be doing that every day from now on, so cut yourself some slack and move on. You got this!
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Try to get back on track as quick as you can. It's hard. Everyone does it, you're not alone. Look at the big picture. xx
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    cheating? you had food and drinks while out with friends. that's not a crime. if you want this to work, it'll be a good idea to change your relationship with food. instead of ideas like "good, bad, and cheating" just try to hit your calorie goals for the week. If you're going out on the weekend with friends try to save some calories for it so that you can enjoy yourself. And if you go over on one day, so be it. No one got fat because they ate too much every so often. Heck, if you were in a deficit all week you probably didn't go over enough to actually gain any weight.

weight loss works a lot better if you incorporate the things you're going to want to for the rest of your life.

Beautiful.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I've been eating great and feeling great the last couple weeks. Can even start to see some toning, which I'm excited about. However, last night I went out with a couple friends and yes I had a couple drinks that I shouldn't have had because of all the sugar. And then before going home, I was so tired to the point of passing out that in my poor judgment I got fast food. I'm super mad at myself, because had I been smart about it, I could have gotten a salad or something healthier but my cravings and fatigue won. It wasn't even so much that I was craving, it was just out of habit I think and I was too tired to think better. But it's the day after and I feel gross. I can feel the food gave my tummy something to fight with. What do you guys do after you cheat to get back on track and just to feel better?
    I just get back on track. What's the point in beating yourself up? Just get back to good eating habits as soon as you "mess up."
  • MatthewLewis81
    MatthewLewis81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You have the tools and knowledge you need to keep "cheating" from taking you down, so don't worry about it. Chances are the impact won't be that much anyway.

Keep in mind a pound of fat (whether gained or lost) represents about 3,500 calories. Most "binge meals" are nowhere near that.

I plan to "cheat" in a big way this Thursday when my wife and I go out to celebrate our anniversary. We don't make it to this particular restaurant very often, so I'm going to "quick-add" about 3k calories, and then just enjoy the meal. ;)
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I go out and drink and then eat fast food nearly every week.....hasn't set me back yet.