Spinning

Options
So, spinning. My tiny little gym is getting some spinning bikes and doing a trial run with classes. If they're well attended they will keep them, if not they won't spend the money. We are an itty bitty gym in a small town so they are careful about what they bring in. Is this something I should try? I love biking outside in the actual world but pedaling away on my regular exercise bike in my garage a few years ago got tedious. Is a spinning class fun? I assume someone leads you to do different speeds or something? I'm gym illiterate so a little education is appreciated. :)

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    You should try out a class and see if you like it. Like almost all fitness classes, a lot depends on the instructor and just personal activity preference.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I do intend to try one out, I was just wondering what to expect? What exactly do they do in a spinning class? I mean there has to be some variation in the activity or you wouldn't need a whole class for it, right?
  • OtterAmber
    OtterAmber Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Spin classes are typically the most popular classes in my gym experience.
  • Trishskee
    Trishskee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would definitely try it! A few years ago I got into Spinning and ended up buying a bike for my house. It takes a few classes to adjust and you definitely want to buy a cheap pair of padded shorts to start out with. Just be sure you're set up on the bike properly and you'll have a great time.

Each spin class is different and instructors can make a big difference. They typically do sprints, hills, resistance training - some even integrate resistance bands, it just depends.

Have fun!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I had no idea you could do so many things on a bike! I will have to give it a try when they get the classes started. Thanks for the input!
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    They can be a lot of fun. You do can do intervals/tabatas/, hill climb, stand up, hover, push ups....all sorts of different things, yes it depends on the instructor. Usually it is a dark room with loud music, and you get an awesome workout!
  • LayLen
    LayLen Posts: 20
    Options
    Spinning is absolutely awesome. I take a spinning/conditioning class and it really comes down to WHO YOU ARE. Get an ipod with some motivational music, look on Youtube on different workouts to do on the bike. I'm telling you, after a simple five minutes on one of those bikes my legs swell up, and its so much easier on your joints. Spinning is awesome, you make the most out of it. There are countless workouts you can do with that one single bike, just remember, warm up, stretch, then get after it, all those procedures are done on the bike. You can also get a gym mat, sit it next to your bike and incorporate some other exercises in your routine e.g. push ups, situps, lunges, what ever you want. Once a spinner, always a spinner ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4XKo1_tD9c

Check this video out, paste the link in your browser and follow the instructions on how to set up the bike, most crucial step to spinning, doing it right!
  • Samalamxo
    Options
    I personally LOVE spin....I use to take about 5 classes a week but my schedule changed and I can only do maybe 2 a week now.

The spin instructor will have great music and (is suppose to) take you on an interval ride. Speed work, hills and some rest periods.
    I find the classes to be incredibly FUN and a great workout. I go to NYSC so we spin with the lights off and the music BLASTING....

Most classes run 45-55 minutes long. Bring A LOT of water and towel (be ready to sweat)

One of the most important things is to have you bike properly set up. The instructor is suppose to help you adjust you handle bar height, seat height and seat-bar distance.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    So, spinning. My tiny little gym is getting some spinning bikes and doing a trial run with classes. If they're well attended they will keep them, if not they won't spend the money. We are an itty bitty gym in a small town so they are careful about what they bring in. Is this something I should try? I love biking outside in the actual world but pedaling away on my regular exercise bike in my garage a few years ago got tedious. Is a spinning class fun? I assume someone leads you to do different speeds or something? I'm gym illiterate so a little education is appreciated. :)

I am a distance cyclist on the road, have my own indoor training bike, and still go to spin class at the gym regularly! With a good instructor and the right music, it's a fantastic way to get in bike time, especially in bad weather. Definitely give it a try.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    As above - great for bad weather and it tends to lead to more varied riding than 'on the road', which I believe can lead to better results as far as improvements in health go.

I also like the competitive aspect - so I'll try and be on the hardest gear/or spinning faster in a similarly hard gear when taking a peak at others.
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love spinning. Depending on the type of class, instructor and what you put in you can get an amazing burn. I try to get in at least two sessions a week. It really de-stresses me. The classes are varied but typically you can expect sprints, standing sprints, jumps, hovers, hill climbs, standing hill climbs, standing hill climbs with sprints (and resistance bands and kettlebells depending on the class. We usually step off the bike every 4th song to do some strength work). Definitely give it a try. The first class will kill you but it gets easier :)
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options

I do Les Mill's RPM - its a variation on the spinning theme.
    You'll only know if you try it and I recommend that you do. You'll do it in a class and they will play loud gawd-awful music and shout out instructions over the 'music'.
    It is very intense interval training - and despite my aversion to the music - I keep going back.
    In a 45min session, I typically burn around 400 calories (according to my HRM)
    Wishing you all the best,

Ben
  • ErinJessica123
    Options
    I LOVE Spinning, I do it about 3 times a week (45 mins a time)

Definitely give it a go :)
  • alicemdl
    alicemdl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Definitely give it a go! I do about 5 classes a week - started at the beginning of the year, and now am rather obsessed. I do one on a Monday morning, and then a double on a wednesday night and a double on a Thursday night.

I run and do weights and row on other days, but spinning is great fun!