Mirena?

Options
I am going to have the Mirena birth control placed in about 2 weeks. I am worried about weight gain, as I have had the depo before and gained a good 20 pounds from it. Has anyone had any problems with weight gain from Mirena?

Replies

• caroeden
    Options
    none. but i had little with depo. i also have not had children so YMMV.
  • katerinab
    katerinab Posts: 107
    Options
    I was just as fat after I had it placed as I was before - no more, no less.
  • MBgirl17
    Options
    I've had mine for about 2 months, no problems! No weight gain, just a little cramping and spotting.
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    I think it all depepnds on the person.. I haven't had any weight gain from depo, but have been having other side effects.. talked to my doc about an IUD and he said I would probably have the same side effects. So I'm going to try Yaz..
    I heard that the reason people gain weight is because the hormones increase your appetite. Just keep logging in on here and if you find you're doing everything right and not losing weight, then the IUD could be to blame.
  • rbcca19
    rbcca19 Posts: 91
    Options
    I have had mine since mid July and I've had 0 weight gain, just a little bit of cramping after it got put in.
  • mamacremers
    mamacremers Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I've had mine in for just at a year. No weight gain, stayed the same. I have heard though, that it affects women differently. Not in the weight department, but in the "hormones are literally making me crazy" department. It has had nothing but positive effects for me. Haven't gone crazy, haven't gained weight, have lost my period, and I'm NOT pregnant! It does hurt like crazy to put in though! Take some pain killer before!
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I got mine four years ago and had zero weight gain. I suffered from a lot of cramping and still do. It probably isn't the best option for me, but other's have no issues with it. The benefits of the mirena are AMAZING!

Good luck! I wouldn't be concerned about weight gain. Talk to the doc about it.
  • farmgirlh
    farmgirlh Posts: 240
    Options
    Nope, I am on my second one (had them inbetween kids) and it is great, I have had it for 2 1/2 years and it wasn't easy to lose weight, but it wasn't the iud causing the issues. The hormones are so low that it shouldn't cause any gain. Good luck!
  • wiseg2
    wiseg2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I've heard of it making some women gain and then it makes it harder to lose weight. It all depends on the woman just like any other type of birth control.
  • goldilocks007
    Options
    I and several of my friends currently use mirena and none of us have had a weight gain associated with it's placement. I used depo provera several years ago and I did gain weight with the depo.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I had one put in after my daughter was born. I had lost 20-25 of the 30 pounds I gained during pregnancy by the time I had it put in, about 8 weeks after she was born. In the first month I had it in I gained 15 pounds. I had it removed a couple months later after I had a miscarriage.
  • cfgordon
    Options
    i have mine put in about a year ago and haven't gained any weight. i haven't lost a lot of weight but i did lose a lot inches. i really like it and plan to have another put in after our next baby.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned about the hormones what about a plain copper one? Ok, it doesn't stop your periods like the mirena does for most ladies, but there are 0 hormones and it can be left in place for 10 years not just 5. I LOVE mine.
  • Texangrrl
    Options
    nope no weight gain. and was able to lose baby weight after my first son when it was placed till it was removed 2.5 years later.
  • jmmtaylor
    jmmtaylor Posts: 225
    Options
    I have had mine 2 years and have not gained any weight. Stayed the same as when I got it put in (maybe you know a pound or 2 nothing major though) and for those 2 years I didn't exercise or anything...