Is this even possible?!

Options
I began the year living in Georgia. I worked out maybe 2-3 times a week, just light stuff like playing WiiFit and walking on the treadmill. I also ate mostly gluten-free, lots of protein and veg, and drank lots of water. I weighed about 211 in February when I moved back home to be with my mom; she'd been diagnosed with a brain tumor and was facing surgery and radiation therapy.

Now, I'm a stress eater and an emotional eater, and we don't have much money so we can't afford to eat lots of organic, or really much produce at all. I'm very busy with school, work, and social obligations (I'm in my city's opera company) so most nights I don't have time to sit down to a proper dinner. (Excuses, I know.)

I weighed myself recently, and I have gained 50 pounds since I moved home. 50 POUNDS IN 8 MONTHS?! That doesn't seem right. I drink 8 glasses of water a day, and try to eat healthy proteins for dinner like fish and chicken. Has anyone else gained that much weight in that short a period of time?

Replies

• knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Well if you're eating a lot and eating high calorie foods you can certainly gain very rapidly. I took a quick peek at your diary and while it doesn't look very filled in, the entries I did see had cake, cookies, rice crispy treats and things like that. While those can certainly be a part of a healthy diet as a treat, there are days where that kind of stuff seems to make up the bulk of your food.

I know junk food can be cheap and convenient but there are ways to make healthier choices and still keep expenses down, it will take planning though. Buying produce in season will be less expensive than out of season fruit and if I had to choose between empty junk calories or non organic produce I'm thinking non organic produce is going to be a lot better for you than the junk! If you want to make better choices you will. If you don't choose to make that change though, don't be surprised if your weight continues to climb.

I am gluten free by necessity and feed my family of six on one income so I do understand the struggle to feed everyone on a budget. :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Works out to a calorie surplus of about 700 calories a day, on average. Basically one extra donut and slice of pizza (as an example).

Yeah, it's not only possible, it's easier than it looks, unfortunately.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    If it happened, it's possible (so unless you're not accurately remembering what you weighed eight months ago, or you are using two different scales and one or both is/was not properly calibrated, it happened, so it's possible).

That works out to 6.25 pounds a month, which means you've been eating (on average) roughly 730 calories above maintenance every day. If what you're concerned about is stopping this weight gain and/or losing the weight you've gained, you're going to need to find some way to reduce your net calories, and the most feasible way to do this by reducing the calories you're consuming (you can exercise to try to burn some calories, but even the 730 to get to maintenance would probably take you more than an hour a day, especially if you're just starting to exercise and aren't able to work out at high intensity for extended periods).

MFP is a calorie-counting approach (there are other approaches, such as Weight Watchers, which uses a point system as an approximation and proxy for calories). If you want to use the MFP method, you're going to have to log your calories (and you need to do so accurately, which either means eating mostly packaged, portion-controlled foods, or getting a scale and measuring cups and spoons (but use the scale whenever possible, because it's more accurate).

Drinking water is good for you. I think some organic foods are worthwhile, others (like bananas) less so. I think fresh produce is a good thing. But none of them (not even water, other than short term by helping reduce retained water) is going to make a difference in losing weight if you're still consuming 700 calories a day more than your body needs. If you can't get fresh produce, eat frozen or canned, whatever is on sale, preferably plain, without sauce, just because there are probably more filling, satisfying things than the sauce on frozen veggies, and you could probably make a sauce much more cheaply and have control over it, but if you want the kind with sauce, and you can fit it into your target calories, go ahead.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Regardless if you are eating healthy/clean/whatever...if you are eating above your maintenance you will gain. And yes, gaining 50lbs in 8 months is possible.

Start logging everything, everyday, and invest in a food scale if you don't own one.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1105036-article-on-flexible-dieting-by-armi-legge?page=1#posts-17068746

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Yes it's absolutely possible. However, today is a new day. If you want to lose it you can! Good luck.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately yes it is possible. BUT it isn't the end of the world. You can always come back strong and try again to make a change!
  • lizaloveee
    Options
    When I went back to school in September, I gained 7 pounds in 10 days. And I drink lots of water, eat lots of veggies, and walk everywhere (and do barn chores 4 days a week, 3hrs/shift). That's when I learned: Portion size is everything!!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    50 pounds in 8 months is not only possible, it's easy to do too. As already mentioned, 700 calories extra a day isn't really much. That's like, half a cheeseburger at Chili's. I gained probably the same amount of weight in the same amount of time, just by having a few beers a day. Each beer being 200-300 calories, adds up really quickly.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You've proved it's possible, now what are you going to do about it?