Restless Leg Syndrome

Anyone have it? When do you notice it, at night, after a day of working out? How do you get rid of it? I have to keep shaking the bottom of my legs and turn the AC on. I normally get this at night. I don't think that it's ever happened in the daytime.

Replies

• joecmoore1
    joecmoore1 Posts: 87 Member
    I have it.

Usually when I'm laying in bed at night. Often I have to get up and walk around and "shake it off"...almost like a cramp. Works maybe 30% of the time.

There are treatments for it, but I don't want to take any more meds...so I just tough it out til it goes away. Mine isn't painful, just really annoying.

Hopefully someone else will post some more effective strategies.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    i get it all the time exspecially if i'm nervous. but its part of my anxiety if i'm not comfortable you can tell. relax tapes work i guess yoga would help
  • nsfaye
    nsfaye Posts: 2
    Unfortunately, yes I have had a bout of it... and hope,never to again!
    RLS strikes late evening/early night.... with the need to shake the afflicted leg. For me it played havoc with my sleep, and soon to my, well being.....

.... then one day.... it was gone!

I was told it is a neurological happening, that has no known cause...alot of hypothesis though...LOL
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    I've had it for years. I first noticed it when I was about 12. I only get it in the evening when I'm tired. When it gets unbearable, I just go to sleep. I went to a sleep clinic and they prescribed requip (ropinarol). This is a medication that is prescribed for Parkinson's but I take it in very low doses and it seems to have alleviated it for the most part.

Other things I've done recently that were unrelated but seem to have had a positive impact were diet change. I cut a lot of carbs and most gluten sources. I did this to drop weight but after I made the change, I noticed my legs weren't nearly as bad as before. In addition, I've been taking ZMA (Zinc/Magnesium) and that also seems to have had a positive effect.

In addition, my husband rubs my calves and compresses them. Compression seems to help.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    i used to have it, took magnesium and it went away.
    then i started running and it came back. a protein shake after running, and a magnesium supplement (almonds) seem to help most days.

proper hydration and ibuprofen make a difference too :happy:

i usually notice it before going to sleep - it can keep me up quite a while, until i finally get up and take a supplement, ibuprofen, or just a hot chocolate...
  • lyhf1970
    lyhf1970 Posts: 6 Member
    I can't remember why I tried this, but taurine (an amino acid), works as a remedy for restless leg syndrome for me. A friend of mine was taking it before bed as a way to calm herself down and help herself relax before going to sleep. I tried it and it seems to knock the RLS.
    This might be helpful: http://www.webmd.com/brain/ss/slideshow-rls-remedies
    Good luck!
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Thanks for the advice.
  • Bananas are good for it and i wear compression socks at night as well :)