Weight Lifting for Women in Gym?

Options
anybody have any tips? all are welcome!

Replies

• Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Find a program. Go to gym. Do the program. Forget everyone else.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yes, buy New Rules of Lifting for Women. That book has all the information you need to understand why lifting is important for women and how to do it. The program part of it is overly complicated but the fundamentals are good, and if you like it you will get your results.

Quick rundown: Lift like a man if you want the results you're looking for. Don't if you want to waste your time and look like a fool doing it.

Good programs are Stronglifts 5x5 (simple, free online) and Starting Strength (inexpensive book with great information on the lifts).

Spot reduction is a myth. Women don't get bulky lifting weights unless they use steroids. Your muscle gain will be slow, be patient, eat extra calories when it's time to gain muscle.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    new rules of lifting
    strong lifts
    starting strength

I'm making this my new stock answer about lifting I think LOL- totally copying it from another thread- I just hate typing i tall up

rule #1 about lifting
    you will not bulk unless you are eating a calorie surplus

rule #2
    there is no such thing as toning.

Check out those programs- I can't access the gold's gym one at work- but really want you want to see are compound lifts split 2-3 times a week.

What are compound lifts and how do I know which ones they ares Jo?

What excellent questions!!!

Compound lifts are lifts that use your whole body- rather than isolating specific muscles- they do more to raise your heart rate and get essentially the most 'bang for your buck' they are exceptionally helpful for developing 'muscle tone' and general over all strength and mobility (very important as well)

The following are examples of compound lifts
    > Squats (any type- back- front, zercher, jefferson, overhead)
    > Dead Lift (any type- straight leg, traditional, romanian and single)
    > Bench- (full arch- not flat back- incline/decline qualify but as you change the angle - you change the target and becomes less whole body)
    > Over head Press- strict over head press- not a push press- which includes a 'bounce'

walking lunges, hammy raises, pull ups, push ups, rows are also excellent additions to these lifts.

you can start getting into power lifting- clean's jerks' and snatches- SUPER fun-but stick with the above lifts for now-

Examples of NOT compound lifts (I.e. isolations)

bicep curls
    tricep press downs
    leg extensions/curls
    ab/aductors
    flys (although fly is wicked fun- it's still not compound)
    90% of the shoulder stuff you people do is all isolation stuff too

something to know. If you chose to curl. DO NOT CURL IN THE SQUAT RACK. this is lifting rule NUMERO UNO for gym etiqutte- it's rude- and ignorant- and all sorts of things. just don't do it.

Second rule.

PUT YOUR WEIGHTS AWAY. RACK THEM.

if you can lift them- you can re-rack them. seriously- also- super rude to not re-rack them. and for the love of all things holy- put them back not where you found them- but where they GO- i.e 10's in the 10 slot- not the 70's in the 10 slot- so rude- so annoying.

hopefully that was helpful- let me know if you have more questions- good look on starting to lift- lifting iz ze awesome.

seriously- it's awesome.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Now go forth and let us know how you progress...

...AND what is a Jefferson squat?

Edit: I just googled it... that is ridiculous.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    No man should do it. LOL
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Now go forth and let us know how you progress...

...AND what is a Jefferson squat?

Edit: I just googled it... that is ridiculous.

yeah that's not one I do. but I know people who do.

I just started doing bastardized front squat/zercher squat combo- not happy... you balance the bar in front squat position- but you don't hold it- arms go outfront (mine look like goal post LOL) - like an over head squat- they just suck- no real rest/break point- you work the whole time. definitely tis <le suck>
  • Samalamxo
    Options
    I started off with the machines....ones with the awesome pictures and a few short words on how to properly do the exercise. And if I still wasn't sure on how to use them I'd peak at some guys while they were in use. (creepin)

Youtube is great for tutorials on beginning dumbbell use. Just to get a few good workouts for different muscle groups.

Honestly it took some time to feel comfortable hitting the weights but these days I don't mind trekking into the free weight sections with the hard core dudes and their 50 pounders to do my reps. Besides it's guaranteed the 10 and 15 lb weights will be free to use!

I find that doing 3-5 sets (maybe 10-12 reps each) on each muscle group is good for me....and I break up my lifting into legs and abs on one day and then arms, back and abs on another day.....plus some cardio. But find what groove works for you!