I absolutely HATE strength training!

Options
I can do cardio everyday if I could. In fact, its my favorites. I dread strength training even though I know I suppose to be doing it. Its just plain out confusing! I really don't know what I am doing. Don't know what to do as for as reps, certain exercises, sets. I am just so confused and lost. Where do I start??? How do I begin???? What got you into strength training????

Replies

• conqueringsquidlette
    Options
    We should split the difference. I hate cardio because it's painful and it's never gotten any less painful over time. I like the mood boost from improving my strength - with as slow as it is to lose weight, being able to SEE changes in how much better I can lift so quickly makes me feel like I'm not wasting my time.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Just start here:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program

Grab the "Novice" program and run with it. It's dead simple, so it will be easy to remember, easy to implement, and most importantly, easy to track progress.
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I used to be like that, never went close to the weights. Just because i didnt know what was going on.

I found a workout schedule that does 2 days of upper body and 2 days of lower body 6 weeks ago and started lifting alone.
    It can be confusing when you arent sure what you are doing and there isnt anyone to help. BUT I downloaded a crapload of Youtube videos on each move to help me with proper form etc.

The program I am on starts with 8-12 reps for 4 weeks, then you up your weights and lower the reps to 6-8, the last 4 weeks is on a lower rep range (4-6) the point is to get at least 8 reps and no more than 12 reps. If you cant do 8 then the weight is to heavy, if you can do more than 12 the weight is too light.

I love it now that I am learning and getting there!

Good luck, have a look online there are LOADS of guides and schedules etc.

Heres the program I found and have been using: http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html I know you are a boy but maybe the website will have some more information for you :wink:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I dread strength training even though I know I suppose to be doing it. Its just plain out confusing! I really don't know what I am doing.

fwiw weight training bores me to tears, all that faffing about with discs and hanging about between sets.

The key issue is, what are your objectives? If it's about your CV performance then stick with bodyweight training and integrate it with your CV work; run out for four miles to somewhere that you can do some activities and then run back again, that sort of thing.

Despite the zealots you don't "have" to do strength training, but it can be complementary to your CV work.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    being able to SEE changes in how much better I can lift so quickly makes me feel like I'm not wasting my time.

And the same effect comes from CV work, notwithstanding significantly better toned legs, and the reduction in subcutaneous fat in the upper body, there is a significant performance increase.

Six months ago I couldn't run 10Km in less than 60 minutes, now I can.

As in my previous, the two are complementary, but it's a question of finding what fits and works for you.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Do you mean strength training or weight training?

There are more ways to train strength than with weights.

For a start, have a look at a website/app/book called You Are Your Own Gym - all bodyweight exercises which progress as you gain strength so you don't just reach a strength plateau. Maybe that will be more for you.

Your profile pictures, before and after, show that you are doing something right - keep it up!
  • katiekfloo
    Options
    YouTube will be your best friend. I hated it too, but now it's all I want to do. You can easily build a whole work out routine and find correct form using youtube. Just split your muscle groups up-- for example my split is : chest/biceps day, back/triceps day, legs/shoulders day, abs/cardio.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Do you mean strength training or weight training?

There are more ways to train strength than with weights.

For a start, have a look at a website/app/book called You Are Your Own Gym - all bodyweight exercises which progress as you gain strength so you don't just reach a strength plateau. Maybe that will be more for you.

Your profile pictures, before and after, show that you are doing something right - keep it up!
    Ya, that's what I was thinking.

Strength training doesn't have to mean barbells and plates. Any activity that allows you to progress with resistance applied to your muscles will build strength. Bodyweight exercise, pilates, advanced yoga, strongman type training etc.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Check this site out; http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-ultimate-weight-training-workout-routine/ it has a good beginners routine.
  • nettip
    nettip Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    you should try a class like body pump to start with. i hate weights in the gym, but cannot get me out of pump class. and best of all you don't have to know what your doing - you get taught!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    In theory, all you need is 3x6 of bench press, deadlifts and squats with bastid heavy weights, twice a week. The final couple of reps should be a real challenge. That's all I (and my gym buddy) did last year and I got stronger whilst losing weight.

Throw in some shoulder presses, pull ups and bent over rows if you want. Again 3x6.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Pick up a book that leads you through a starter strength building program such as Stronglifts or Starting Strength. Follow the program outlined in the book. Done.
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I love strength training
    I am still a newb at it but I just watch the people on the weights at the gym, and then try them..
    Granted they are all machines right now but every bit helps.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    You know if you lift weights faster that = cardio
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    hey man, if you don't like strength training, you don't have to do it.

plenty of runners, triathletes, and endurance athletes out there don't.
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    hey man, if you don't like strength training, you don't have to do it.

plenty of runners, triathletes, and endurance athletes out there don't.

They aren't competitive. All of the competitive cardio/ endurance runners will do some form of strength training.

Koing
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I really don't like it either. I'd rather run. However, I do like how it makes me feel and I think it is allowing me to continue to run pain free. I have had knee issues in the past while running(and doing no cross training). I really enjoy weight training/strength training classes at my gym.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    knowing what you are doing will go a long way into helping you feel less hateful toward it.

Also I fully agree that strength/resistance training /=/ barbell training- although that's probably the most straight forward least complicated method.

check out strengthunbounded.com (unbound? not sure- can't access here at work) great site on body weight bulking.

And keep in mind- I hate cardio- but I still do it because it's good for me and I need it to cut.
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple. Get the right form down (even if it means you're doing lighter weight) and go from there. If you don't want to become a body builder you don't need to learn a million different excises.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Do you have a gym membership? If they have Bodypump class you should try it out!